Mountain Project Logo

Ticks in the Rubies

Original Post
E C · · Noneya · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 50

Much to my surprise I felt a feeling I haven't felt since I left New England in the general area of my keister.  I was in the Rubies on Saturday and I pulled a deer tick out of the uncharted territory.  Be aware that ticks are active in that zone, I don't know if I picked it up in in the East Humboldt or the Rubies- either way take care.  

k och · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 4
E C wrote:

Much to my surprise I felt a feeling I haven't felt since I left New England in the general area of my keister.  I was in the Rubies on Saturday and I pulled a deer tick out of the uncharted territory.  Be aware that ticks are active in that zone, I don't know if I picked it up in in the East Humboldt or the Rubies- either way take care.  

They are abundant all over this state.  In my nearly decade living in Nevada I've pulled many black legged, as well as dog ticks, off my skin, clothes, dog, etc.  Many folks have this illusion that there are no ticks in Nevada.  Quite the contrary.

E C · · Noneya · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 50

Good to know that it's familiar territory for lifers.  I was very surprised- I figured the elevation up there alone would have kept them out but apparently not.

Taylor Fahey · · Blue Diamond, NV · Joined May 2018 · Points: 304

Yep let it be known they are all over red rock and charleston as well

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 636
Taylor Fahey wrote:

Yep let it be known they are all over red rock and charleston as well

I can confirm.  Gotten several at Potosi and back in the canyons in Red Rock plus we saw many on the ground in the north La Madre range this past weekend.

Rohan Alvarez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2023 · Points: 0

Yeah, I have spent a lot of time hiking in Great Basin, Mt Charleston and the Ruby Mountains this summer. Knew they were in the Rubies and Great Basin but never suspected that they would be at MT Charleston as it is so dry up there, quite the opposite though especially on the peaks they are everywhere. Don’t seem to interested in feeding though. I have only seen the little red ones , I believe they are called Dog Ticks but don’t quote me on it.

k och · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 4
Rohan Alvarez wrote:

Yeah, I have spent a lot of time hiking in Great Basin, Mt Charleston and the Ruby Mountains this summer. Knew they were in the Rubies and Great Basin but never suspected that they would be at MT Charleston as it is so dry up there, quite the opposite though especially on the peaks they are everywhere. Don’t seem to interested in feeding though. I have only seen the little red ones , I believe they are called Dog Ticks but don’t quote me on it.

Plenty of western black legged ticks up at Charleston. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Ticks in the Rubies"

Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.