Mountain Project Logo

Apple Watch Screen Protection

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Brannon Glover · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I really enjoy wearing my Apple Watch to keep up with my climbs, heart rate, etc, but really want to protect the screen.  I have one, but it's really flimsy.  I would prefer one that is solid plastic and clear, but I don't want it to protect the back as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  And please don't respond with "leave the watch in the bag".

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Brannon Glover wrote:

...And please don't respond with "leave the watch in the bag".

You started and closed your own thread. 

Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56
Brannon Glover wrote:

I really enjoy wearing my Apple Watch to keep up with my climbs, heart rate, etc, but really want to protect the screen.  I have one, but it's really flimsy.  I would prefer one that is solid plastic and clear, but I don't want it to protect the back as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  And please don't respond with "leave the watch in the bag".

I left my Garmin fenix6 on accidently on a trad climb last yr.  it was under my fleece so not exposed, until I had to cram my entire hand into a crack and i heard and felt the screen scrap along the wall.  now I'm taking said watch off one handed and cramming it into my chest pocket....  and yes I'm a pysio data geek, have been since my triathlon days. now have a nice scrape in the glass because of  it.  amazon has a bunch of cheap replaceable screen protectors.  I've got a pack of them for new fenix, that i don't wear climbing, but if it gets scratched its a quick replacement.  So if you're dead set n "needing" HR data.  look at a external strap.  and as mike said... take it off your wrist

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

The watch doesn't need to be on your wrist to be useful, if you have a chest strap for HR. Unless you do crazy off-width, you don't notice the strap. Then you can just put the watched wherever, even within a hard plastic case clipped to your harness if you want.

The wrist readings on my (garmin) are decent for regular activites that don't involve moving around & bouncing too much (like running, for which they're sometimes OK but usually terrible), but even then they sometimes are off. IMO if you really care about the readings, the strap is the way to go... my 2 cents. Although to be honest, for anything like single-pitch stuff, the HR isn't that interesting while climbing, at least for me. It really doesn't differ much than that from the approach, usually even less. I've been using it for yoga, too, but even then, unless it's a crazy hot yoga thing, the HR isn't that interesting. But have a pretty good cardio, that may be why.

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

The watch doesn't need to be on your wrist to be useful,

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
Cherokee Nunes wrote:

Lol, I guess then even for offwidth you'd be OK, not a bad answer!

Brannon Glover · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Most of my climbing is done indoors so wearing a watch is not a big deal at all.  I would think twice about wearing my watch at the local crag.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started