Mountain Project Logo

Experience with Frogg Toggs rain jacket?

Original Post
Adam K · · Loveland, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Anyone own a Froggs toggs rain jacket?

How dry did it keep you?
How packable are they?

For $10-20 the look pretty good as a complement to my soft shell for summer days in the alpine.

I'm thinking as a emergency storm jacket, instead of the some of the ~150-200 rain "breathable/waterproof" shenanigans. I mostly care about staying dry on the way down and light weight for the ride up.

Andrew Wood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 60

cyclegear always has super cheap clothing, would bet they work, havent tried them yet. not a huge fan of that plasic fiber fabric but still

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

My dad swears by Frog Togs. I've never used them. He is an avid hunter and backpacker and that's where he loves them. He's been swearing by them since before they were available at Walmart. I have no idea if the quality has changed.

Are they light and packable? My dad carries canned food backpacking so his sense of light is unreliable.

I use the disposable $2 emergency poncho. It's enough to cover me and my gear, I can and have bivied in one, and is the size of a cliff bar. If I lived somewhere that rain was a bigger issue I'd shop around more.

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

I use one as my main 3-season rain shell (CO afternoons). Very light (5-6 oz) and compressible. Doesn't breath at all, quite loose, and not very durable, but it well keep you dry in a downpour. The price point is great too.

Due to the durability, I wouldn't want to use it as my sole shell on a climb when I expected a lot of rain (in which case, I probably wouldn't be doing a committed climb anyways) or a heavy bushwack. Still, I've had the same one for around 5 years and it works quite well, even with a number of tears on the undersides of the sleeves.

Patrick Deliman · · Bear valley CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 150

they rock man. I know they look kinda crappy but they work great. I got mine from wally world and no complaints yet.

Peter BrownWhale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 21

I've used them for work, not climbing. They are light but they are extremely fragile. I personally wouldn't use one for climbing.

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 276

Hey A K I've been reading and using Mountain Project for a while and saw this and HAD to comment.

I bought the ultralight jacket pant combo you're looking at great set very waterproof but also a niche item. Perfect for lightweight trips and I use it exactly how you're planning on using it.

Used it on the John Muir trail and have used it on many backpacking trips sense with no issues. The ultimate test of waterproofness was on a fishing trip in Alaska for 7 days. 12 hours in heavy rain and saltwater spray all day near glacier bay. The employee of the fishing camp all had doubts about whether I would stay dry and all wear thick pvc pants and jacket combo. I stayed completely dry in the worst weather. My dad and brother had to rent the rain gear they used after theirs failed. My dad was wearing a goretex fishing jacket he had just treated with DWR while my brother was wearing a newish marmot precip. Both completely wet out the first day and were leaking.

I was cozy and dry though the pants seam blew apart when I was crouching down wrestling a halibut into the boat. Moral of the story the seams on the pants aren't durable don't expect to do the splits or even high step. Hiking only. As far as the jacket goes i'm pretty sure I could tear it in half no problem if I tried but its held up marvelously. I've had mine for 2 years still in great condition and if I do somehow catch it and catastrophically rip it no biggy for the price.

Lightweight cheap and pretty durable this really is a miracle produce. Obviously not very breathable if at all but i'm sure you know that. Hiking in the frog togg jacket or my "breathable" shells I still sweat excessively no noticeable differences there.

Size down I'm 6 feet 180 lbs and I got a medium.

Any questions PM me I'd be happy to help. I got the tan color my friend has the blue both are pretty not great looking but who cares when you're dry and warm.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Experience with Frogg Toggs rain jacket? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started