Mountain Project Logo

Fanny Packs?

Original Post
Mark L · · New York, NY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a small bag to wear while climbing multi pitches?  I have a Patagonia Linked 16 for long multi pitches that can carry shoes, water, light snacks, and additional layers, but I don't need all that space for a 3-4 pitch climb.  I guess I am really looking for something small to carry a liter of water and a few small snacks for shorter multi pitch climbs, especially for those really hot days where I am dying of thirst after one pitch.  I know a lot of people just attach bottles directly to their harness, but I would like to have the option of putting a couple of small items (phone, wallet, snacks, knife, etc...) in a bag that is small enough to really be of notice to me while climbing.  I've seen a few people climb with small fanny packs, and I've looked at some runners belts/bags, but I can't seem to find something that meets my criteria.  If anyone out there uses something similar to what I am describing, I'd appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks!

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Could always get a big chalk pot and attach it to your harness without chalk and use that to hold your items.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

These might fit the bill:

http://thedadbag.com/

In all seriousness though:
https://tufaclimbing.com/products/houdini-chalk-bag

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 540

http://mountainsmith.com/products/all-lumbar-packs.html

Disclosure I am on their team, but sounds like the tour by Mountainsmith is right up your alley. I shoot/climb with the TourFX routinely, and the combo waist/shoulder strap keeps it secure and allows for a quick shift to access the pack at belays...

Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,391
  I guess I am really looking for something small to carry a liter of water and a few small snacks...

Rack that biz on a gear loop, baby!

Jordan Gans · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

I use and love the Salathe Sack by Tufa Climbing.  Just slide it on your chalkbag cord and you're good to go!

https://tufaclimbing.com/products/salathe-sack

Mikey Schaefer · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 233

I've also just used a chalk bag without chalk in it for my extra items.  Then clip a water bottle to your harness.  This is a really flexible system that is easy to move around in chimneys.

That being said I also have 3 different size fanny packs that I've used for climbing if I need to being a bigger jacket and a lot more food.  Patagonia makes a few different ones that are all really light.

Jfriday1 · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 40

3-6 pitches - put everything on the harness 

Water - Gator-aid bottle with a cord taped to 

Shoes - Harness (Better yet follower takes it)

Extra layer and snacks - Small stuff sac attached to the harness.

Knife - Pocket

Phone - Pocket

Keys - pocket (But usually in the bag at the base)

If you must have a pack - BD bullet - But I almost never wear one bc they are hot and sweaty, you burn time by taking it off your back to get something, and chimneys don't like them

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Thank you for the plug, Jason, and Jordan.

The Salathé Sack was designed with this purpose in mind.  Low profile, lightweight, and properly reinforced for climbing.

If you can hold on for a few more weeks, Mark, I have a redesign of the Salathé that is just about dialed in.  It's a really cool design and a huge improvement on the current design.

ViperScale is right on point with the chalk bucket idea.  I have a few friends who have used theirs on multi pitch with good results.  The bucket can clip through your back loops and be tethered with a sling.  The bag can also be rolled down as much as you'd like allowing for flexible carrying capacity. 

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Force your second to carry a small backpack imo

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,002

My chalk bag (Metolius) has a zippered compartment at the bottom ... I keep prusiks & ropeman in there but you can prolly stash your kind of stuff as well ...

GhostYeti · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

As others have stated, a small backpack seems to be the best bet. I've tried a hip bag/fanny pack, but it got in the way of clipping/unclipping stuff from my gear loops and was tough to deal with when in a chimney. 

The mini backpack (maybe 10L? I have a few that I alternate) is my go-to. If I'm in a chimney I just use a runner clipped to my gear loop to extend it a few feet below my bum. One of my partners has a small camelback that she uses, she swears by it but I don't trust those bladders as much as I trust a nalgene.

clodes mlakos · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Some people think that a waist pack can visually add extra pounds to the waist. That's why many people refuse to wear them. But it is all for nothing. Properly selected waist pack, on the contrary, can only emphasize the femininity and delicacy of the waist. Moreover, the cute fanny pack relevance in a variety of suits, both with a strict business dress and with a romantic light summer dress.

Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Small camelbak?

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Jason Todd wrote:

These might fit the bill:

You know, in this awesome film "Bone Tomahawk" Kurt Russell gets his paunch slit open like that and this mean Indian guy puts a red hot whiskey flask in there. Can you imagine?! Well, a cold beer would have been a lot more soothing. Kurt gets him back for that one, you better believe it.

Matthew Campbell · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

What about a small sling-style backpack? Seems like it would stay out of the way better, and many of them are designed to be accessed easily while still over your shoulder by loosening the strap rotating the bag under your arm and in front of you. Some are even hydration ready, if you prefer a tube to a bottle. 

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 28,508
Jfriday1 wrote:

3-6 pitches - put everything on the harness 

Water - Gator-aid bottle with a cord taped to 

Shoes - Harness (Better yet follower takes it)

Extra layer and snacks - Small stuff sac attached to the harness.

Knife - Pocket

Phone - Pocket

Keys - pocket (But usually in the bag at the base)

If you must have a pack - BD bullet - But I almost never wear one bc they are hot and sweaty, you burn time by taking it off your back to get something, and chimneys don't like them

Yup Jfriday's "Got It" !   Just would add that the pocket for keys should be zippered (or a do-it-yourself "Velcro" closure with adhesive-backed Velcro) .  One, or two?, 1 pint "Naglene" water btls hang nicely. I usually glue a tightly tied piece of 2mm cord around the neck (tie the cord tightly, glue the knot [super glue or Aqua Seal], make a smaller loop to hang and glue that knot too.  If you're worried, put glue on the cord around the neck of the btl too. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Fanny Packs?"

Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.