Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Yosemite top rope soloing

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
Jan 24, 2014
me on illusion dweller

Hey new to top rope soloing and couple questions.

First, where besides on Hwy 140 (cookie, and arch i have been) are there fixed lines?

Second, what would be the easiest way to mini track something like lunatic fringe? I can aide a little but how would one aide solo? Can I safely with a mini track, couple acenders and a grigri 1st gen (and yes, full rack)?

Last, what do you take on your harness to get outta trouble? I keep bringing all this stuff but haven't needed any of it yet? Oh I use a mini track and back it up with an acender.

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Jan 24, 2014

thecornyman wrote:

Dawn Wall?

By DoesNotCare
From Heaven
Jan 24, 2014
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Solo aid climbing: set up a bomber anchor at the base, tie a bite at the end of the line and clip it to your bomber anchor (which is made to hold when pulled upwards) then connect your grigri so that the "climber is going towards the anchor" now start aid leading. you'll have to give yourself slack, but being able to adjust your distance from your last piece will be awesome (like an adjustable fifi).

Watch this:climbinglife.com/instructional-videos-mainmenu-87/910-rock-l>>>

Also make sure you switch the direction of your grigri when you get to the top and leave enough slack to rappel.

Hope that helps. You'll need 2 ropes to get off of Lunatic Fringe, but I'm sure you already know that.

By vincent L.
Jan 24, 2014
First day of school

Looks like he is talking about top rope soloing ?

If your asking for instructions of solo aiding over the internet you need to rethink that endeavor .

As far as easy TR solo spots , church bowl lieback is great , you can access several face climbs near by also . Highway Star is easily top ropeable ...

Good luck

By Brian Prince
From morro bay, ca
Jan 24, 2014
The Seward Highway is really beautiful.

I thought there was usually line on lunatic fringe. If not, probably easier to just find a partner who can lead it. Unless you really want to get into rope soloing, but that's a whole other topic

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
Jan 26, 2014
me on illusion dweller

DoesNotCare wrote:

Thanks man, that's basically what I've heard talking to some other folks.

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
Jan 26, 2014
me on illusion dweller

Brian Prince wrote:

Where could I find someone to lead it for me? Could you come do it for me?

By Brian Prince
From morro bay, ca
Jan 27, 2014
The Seward Highway is really beautiful.

Dang man... but fair enough :)