Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Worlds largest rope swing?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 6 of 7.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Feb 6, 2013
I understand the access issues that people are having with this, but who the hell cares if these guys are having fun. They don't look like douches, they look like some guys and girls having a good time. Doesn't everybody have dance parties in the middle of the wilderness, or am I alone on that one? Because it's really pretty fun. The people who have a problem with the care free, life is good attitude of these guys probably hate kittens too. Greg Pouliot
Joined Jul 23, 2012
7 points
Administrator
Feb 6, 2013
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Gregory Pouliot wrote:
Doesn't everybody have dance parties in the middle of the wilderness, or am I alone on that one?


Nope, wilderness dance parties are tittay!!!!
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,422 points
Feb 6, 2013
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil.  (...
Gregory Pouliot wrote:
I understand the access issues that people are having with this, but who the hell cares if these guys are having fun. They don't look like douches, they look like some guys and girls having a good time. Doesn't everybody have dance parties in the middle of the wilderness, or am I alone on that one? Because it's really pretty fun. The people who have a problem with the care free, life is good attitude of these guys probably hate kittens too.


I'm about as anti-kitten as they come, so why the hell not.

When I was there, there was no one climbing, no one jumping, and there was no noise beyond the gentle wind flowing through that canyon. It was pretty sweet, and a nice reprieve from noise on Wall St.

But hey, that's just me. I'm a crotchety old man who wants everyone to shut the fuck up.
GMBurns
Joined Jul 15, 2008
523 points
Feb 7, 2013
CoR
What's the difference between swinging on a rope and rappeling on a rope (legally speaking)? Very little. What do you do when you are done climbing? rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Joined Jul 18, 2011
181 points
Feb 27, 2013


This guy's newest video. It's not from an arch, but I'm sure the ethics of it will still be debated.
Brock Giles
Joined Feb 27, 2013
0 points
Administrator
Feb 27, 2013
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Brock Giles wrote:
This guy's newest video. It's not from an arch, but I'm sure the ethics of it will still be debated.


Looks bad ass... I'd do it in heart beat.

Also anyone got any idea how they did the open pan and zoom shot? Robot drone helicopter flying? Rigging lines on a large cliff?
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,422 points
Feb 27, 2013
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil.  (...
CaptainMo wrote:
Looks bad ass... I'd do it in heart beat. Also anyone got any idea how they did the open pan and zoom shot? Robot drone helicopter flying? Rigging lines on a large cliff?


yes, watch the video at the 3:07 mark.
GMBurns
Joined Jul 15, 2008
523 points
Feb 27, 2013
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil.  (...
they jumped tandem at the same time at the end, too. damn that's scary to me. GMBurns
Joined Jul 15, 2008
523 points
Feb 27, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
It's a gyrocopter (basically a drone) with a camera on it. And for the record (not that it matters, the flaming will commence anyway) but the bolts were all already there and the area has been used for highlining and swinging for years. Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Joined Apr 26, 2009
101 points
Administrator
Feb 27, 2013
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
GMBurns wrote:
yes, watch the video at the 3:07 mark.


THAT THING LOOKS SICK!!! I want one... how much? Whoever films these does a great job obviously and has plenty of great toys!
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,422 points
Feb 27, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
$15,000 to buy one. You can rent one like the one in the video for aout $1,500 a day. They ain't cheap. Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Joined Apr 26, 2009
101 points
Administrator
Feb 27, 2013
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Austin Baird wrote:
$15,000 to buy one. You can rent one like the one in the video for aout $1,500 a day. They ain't cheap.


Wow, so Austin, do u know these kids? That's a lot of loot to spend on a film for day of fun... what's the deal?
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,422 points
Feb 27, 2013
CaptainMo wrote:
Looks bad ass... I'd do it in heart beat. Also anyone got any idea how they did the open pan and zoom shot? Robot drone helicopter flying? Rigging lines on a large cliff?

Yeah, they used a remote control helicopter. The specifics are in the Behind the Scenes Video.
Also, didn't Andy Lewis do a rope swing in this same canyon? I know he did a similar huge one in a similar looking slot canyon.
Josh.Wood
From New York City
Joined Apr 6, 2012
55 points
Feb 27, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
Mo - I actually set the first video up (the Corona Arch swing). My brother is the one at the beginning of the new video (with the bow and arrow) and everyone in it are either friends or old roommates. I got trapped in northern Utah when they filmed this one; I wasn't happy to miss it. Making the videos would be pretty expensive but Devin (the guy who makes the videos) has a pretty big following. People either sponsor his videos or just let him use their products (like the gyrocopter) for the publicity. Sometimes, if we play it right, we can get companies to spring for a houseboat in Lake Powell or something similarly ridiculous. You'd be surprised at the number of dollars that get thrown at Youtube videos.

Josh - yeah...this is the same canyon Andy swung through. Watch closely in the video and you'll see him make a cameo!
Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Joined Apr 26, 2009
101 points
Mar 1, 2013
Destroyer of popcorn
Looks fun and all, not gonna comment on the music.

I think it would've been nice to see something besides just the first 3 seconds of all of those jumps. Only two scenes show any footage beyond that, and both of them are from the jumper's perspective.
Doug Lintz
From Kearney, NE
Joined Apr 19, 2004
1,096 points
Mar 1, 2013
Here's a little behind the scenes. [[
Matt Hasenohr
Joined Nov 22, 2010
17 points
Mar 1, 2013
Happy Turk!!
Here's a little behind the scenes. [[
>


Haha Matt it's a small world.

That guy in the screen shot who did the rigging is Scottie. He's the man. Made the whole thing happen w/ Bryan I think.
Hockman
Joined Mar 11, 2012
20 points
Mar 25, 2013
Lone Peak
Is anybody surprised? Not me.

ksl.com/?sid=24533690&nid=148&...
steve lindsay
Joined Dec 6, 2009
104 points
Mar 25, 2013
CoR
I saw this story this morning as well. Second death in Moab in two weeks. This made me think about how one would you get down once you stopped swinging. I haven't given it a ton of thought but a releasable knot at the harness would be most likely but the word releasable and jumping off an arch don't seem compatible.

Regardless, condolences.
rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Joined Jul 18, 2011
181 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
rging wrote:
I saw this story this morning as well. Second death in Moab in two weeks. This made me think about how one would you get down once you stopped swinging. I haven't given it a ton of thought but a releasable knot at the harness would be most likely but the word releasable and jumping off an arch don't seem compatible. Regardless, condolences.


Two options: guy at the top throws a rappel line down and you transition to that OR you rig the jumping rope with a grigri and then just lower the jumper. The second option is more complicated but way faster.
Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Joined Apr 26, 2009
101 points
Mar 25, 2013
rging wrote:
I saw this story this morning as well. Second death in Moab in two weeks. This made me think about how one would you get down once you stopped swinging. I haven't given it a ton of thought but a releasable knot at the harness would be most likely but the word releasable and jumping off an arch don't seem compatible. Regardless, condolences.


Wow really? You must not climb much if you cant think of a better option...
EricSchmidt
Joined Feb 3, 2013
5 points
Mar 25, 2013
REtro
Do you see what happens Donny. R. Moran
From Moab , UT
Joined Mar 18, 2009
123 points
Mar 25, 2013
Nice.... Jason Lantz
Joined Sep 6, 2008
50 points
Mar 26, 2013
I have been rigging my own rope jumps for several years now. This activity is like any extreme sport. You have to have a lot of experience and know how to pull it off. That doesn’t mean it isn’t still dangerous and it doesn’t mean we need to make it illegal. Rock climbing is dangerous, can lead to sever injury or death if it attempted by someone who is inexperienced or doesn’t understand the finer points of the gear and planning. BASE jumping even more so. I’d hate to see some kind of legal fallout occur over this. I for one am not going to stop jumping – I absolutely love it… nor will I stop throwing a test bag off first to ensure my system is rigged correctly.

youtube.com/user/Esus303
AOSR
From Wherever we park!
Joined Jul 12, 2008
352 points
Apr 1, 2013
Maroon Bells-Bell Cord Couloir
AOSR wrote:
I have been rigging my own rope jumps for several years now. This activity is like any extreme sport. You have to have a lot of experience and know how to pull it off. That doesn’t mean it isn’t still dangerous and it doesn’t mean we need to make it illegal. Rock climbing is dangerous, can lead to sever injury or death if it attempted by someone who is inexperienced or doesn’t understand the finer points of the gear and planning. BASE jumping even more so. I’d hate to see some kind of legal fallout occur over this. I for one am not going to stop jumping – I absolutely love it… nor will I stop throwing a test bag off first to ensure my system is rigged correctly.



So because you throw a bag down to test the length instead of taking other precautions; we (Climbers/Hikers/Etc.) will have to soon deal with a whole other level of access issues???

Sounds Great.

Oh and it's not similar to BASE jumping. Not at all. BASE jumpers don't fix anchors, swing ropes across large areas (causing rope abrasion/damage to the vegetation), nor do they normally stir up access issues by posting You-Tube videos of which level/quality of content is debatable.
AnthonyM
Joined Mar 5, 2009
43 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 6 of 7.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!