Wired Bliss Makes Great Cams

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Jun 28, 2011
tanuki

My first set of TCUs, purchased in the early 90's, were Wired Bliss. I have always regretted selling them. When WB started making cams again, I knew that I had to have a set. After months of procrastinating, I finally got my act together and ordered a full set of their TCUs and 4CUs

Since they are a small US company, I was actually able to talk with Michael, the person that assembled my cams, on the phone. He was more than happy to accommodate my request to configure the slings like BD, and he let me know when my cams would be completed and shipped. He also let me know that all the components are machined in the US and that the cams are assembled in Flagstaff, AZ. He shared some information about the history of the company and that the current owners are all climbers.

When I received my order, all I could say was WOW! Wired Bliss cams are real works of craftsmanship and look like they will last a lifetime. There are a lot of good climbing products out there, but these cams are really premium quality.

It is not often that I am this impressed with a company and their products, and I wanted to share my experience with the MP community. I was also hoping that others might share their experience with Wired Bliss. Little companies like this often succeed or fail not only on the quality of their product, but also on the support of their customers and word mouth advertising.

So, if your experience with Wired Bliss was similar to mine, post up and let's support the little guy making great stuff!

One more thing - I hear that they are expanding their product line in the next month or so to include three larger cams, up to 9". IMHO, that is awesome!

By Chris D
From the couch
Jun 29, 2011
Sign near the Third Flatiron

I've been thinking about trying one each of their TCUs and 4CUs since they opened up shop again, but have hesitated, despite accolades for their product from almost everyone who tried them. What's held me back:

In the smaller sizes, sometimes it takes two 4CUs to cover the range of a single C3 (just using that as an example). A .3 C4 covers from 0.55-0.91in. The .5 and .75 4CUs together cover .5-.89in. I know there are other factors...two pieces of pro are two pieces of pro...a big range is nice, but doesn't buy you a second placement. Plus, I imagine that like most single-axle cams, the 4CUs are better in shallow cracks than the C4s. I guess if I were better at picking the right piece of gear the first time it wouldn't be such an issue.

Also, I find that the single-stem cams are more to my liking. I don't have a good reason for this, though I've read other people's reasoning.

Anyway, I want to like these cams, and with BD now putting their stuff together in Asia, I won't be buying any more of their pro. So I'd like to hear more about them from people who have been climbing on them for a while.

By mcarizona
From Flag
Jun 29, 2011

I've got a double set. One run is from 1990, the newer is circa 98. I hope the company thrives. Truthfully, I'm going around with a new set of BDs (00 -4) so the Bliss is not getting out much.
Steve

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Jun 29, 2011
tanuki

--- Invalid image id: 107194023 ---

There is a photo of my WB set in all its unscratched beauty.

Like Chris and Steve, I have been a BD C4 user for a long time. I don't feel experienced enough with WB 4CUs or u-stem 4CUs in general to throughly compare the two products. However, my first impression is that the WBs are durable cams that place well. The action on the TCUs is smoother than any other small cam I own. If the new set is anything like the old ones, I think that they will become my "go-to" cams.

By Bob Dobalina
Jun 29, 2011

Wired Bliss have the SMOOOooothest trigger action. Better than any other small cams. I wish that I still had a full set.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Jun 30, 2011
tanuki

I totally agree about the smooth action. The 4CUs have a similar action. Not sure what the difference is, but you can feel it in the trigger.

By CO_Michael
Jul 1, 2011
Mexico roadside rocks

Wired Bliss is having a SALE.

www.facebook.com/WiredBlissCams

wiredblissusa.com

wiredbliss@usa.com

All American Holiday and All American Company

By ClimberRunner
From Redmond, WA
Jul 1, 2011

A longer rubber sleeve/spacer around the "U" of the cable would be a huge improvement, leaving enough room for your thumb to actually fit on top of the thumb bar.

As they are now designed, the thumb bar is useless because that horseshoe-shaped opening is too small and you just have to 'palm' the whole cam to place them or work the trigger.

By CO_Michael
Jul 1, 2011
Mexico roadside rocks

Here is a pic of different Wired Bliss cams.

There are some small changes over the years.

Not sure what generation you have AK. My big thumb fits into the clip-in loop/spreader bar on the new cams.

Wired Bliss <br /> <br />1985, 1992, 2010
Wired Bliss

1985, 1992, 2010

Cams
Cams

By Woodchuck ATC
Jul 2, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

MichaelClimbs wrote:
Wired Bliss is having a SALE. https://www.facebook.com/WiredBlissCams wiredblissusa.com wiredbliss@usa.com All American Holiday and All American Company

Yup. just got the email hours ago for sale this weekend.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Jul 2, 2011
tanuki

Cool to see the pics of the old cams. My fist set was just like the ones from '85.

Any pics of the new cams in the larger sizes?

By CO_Michael
Jul 2, 2011
Mexico roadside rocks

The Wired Bliss #5, #6, #9 are in the works. The first few are being tested, climbed and adjusted.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Jul 2, 2011
tanuki

Awesome! I'll be buying them as soon as you get them to market!

By Chris Graham
From Bartlett, NH
Jul 2, 2011
portrait <br />

Love all of mine and use them regularly. Can't wait to get some of the larger sizes to complete my set. Well made, great action and they bite like a viper! Support these guys..they make a great product! ;)

By Kevin Cossel
From Boulder, CO
Jul 2, 2011

MichaelClimbs wrote:

Cool! What are the prices for this sale? And is it for every order or is there a code to enter?

By Dustin Lagoy
From Western MA
Jul 11, 2011
Me

I am still fairly new to climbing so I have no experience with the older Wired Bliss cams but IMHO the new version is a great cam and on par with any other retail brands.

I ordered the three smallest TCUs last year during the Christmas sale (off of an already great deal I might add) and received them a few weeks later. This was a slight delay (maybe an extra week) in what was expected but I knew they would have a lot of Christmas orders so this was no surprise and I had no complaints. Even so they still threw in a new T-shirt and a bunch of stickers along with a note apologizing for the delay. They were also quick to respond to any questions that I had and accommodate my order. In short, the customer service was great.

The cams themselves have performed just as well as any other cam I have used and I especially like the softer aluminum used on the lobes. I have had no troubles with them and taken a few falls on the .5 without incident. They smaller sizes are also rated much stronger than comparable cams (perhaps due to the alloy used) although that is only in their independent tests (they aren't CE or UIAA certified after all) so I guess it should be taken with a grain of salt.

My only complaints are first that I didn't ask to have the slings tacked together (like a quickdraw or BD cams) because they are a little floppy and second the heads are a little wide compared to other cams and so may not fit everywhere as well (although this hasn't been a real problem for me yet).

Overall a great cam at a great price from a great company, whats not to like?

On another note, does anyone know the approximate ranges for the larger sizes that are coming out? How large are we talking?