Winter Camping Near I-70 Skiing

By Chris Huizenga
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone know of any winter camping areas near any of the Vail resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, A Basin, Breck, Keystone)? I don't mind hiking in as long as my Jeep is still there when I get back. I know there's good ice up there, but does anyone camp nearby or does everyone day trip it?

By Adam McFarren
From Boulder, Colorado
Oct 9, 2012
Try the Spruce Creek TH close to Breck (south on US9, turn off near Goose Pasture Tarn). It's a popular trailhead for snowshoeing/crosscountry skiing and Francies Cabin (so overnight parking is common) and I've seen people pitch tents right on the other side of the plowed snow berm - but going a little further into the woods would probably be ideal.

By PTZ
From Chicago/Colorado
Oct 9, 2012
Where? Wouldn't you like to know. You have to buy ...
Up on tenderfoot mountain, which is the mountain that route 6 goes around. If heading east on the west side of the tunnel the mountain is on your right. There is access on the dump road as you come off loveland pass from the east just after you pass Keystone. That was a couple of years ago but might be a good option depending on snowpack.
Good luck

By Bob Dobalina
Oct 9, 2012
What kind of Jeep? If you can sleep inside your car rather than pitching a "here I am, camping right here!" nearby tent, you'll be far more stealth!
The summit county I-70 corridor is overrun with people and camping/parking regulations so good luck.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Oct 9, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks
Vail Pass is great. Yes you have to pay a small fee to park but then a short ski/snow shoe trip in and you can camp. You then have the bonus facility of the rest area for hitting the bathroom. North side of the highway is wilderness so no snow mobilers.

By coloradotomontana
Oct 9, 2012
me
Montezuma road above keystone has plenty places for camping in your vehicle or a tent. No hiking required, and nobody will bother you

By rangerdrew
From Loveland
Oct 9, 2012
Evans Aprons
+1 for Montezuma Road.

By Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Oct 9, 2012
Indy pass
rangerdrew wrote:
+1 for Montezuma Road. Otherwise, the only trick is overnight parking. Back when I was hard, all I needed was a bivy sack. With a bivy, you can keep a very low profile and sleep pretty much anywhere.

Any one have beta for the resorts on the other end of 70? Coming from GJ, Beaver Creek and Vail are closer to me...I don't mind the cold (I have my cold weather sleeping system dialed, bivy and all), just don't want to be bothered or get ticketed or anything. I would even consider paying somewhere to park overnight so long as it was relatively cheap compared to a room.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Oct 9, 2012
Bocan
It's kind of lame but the old school ski bum lifestlye ain't what it used to be due to all the private property regulations. haha think how hard it was it Aspen Extreme and then imagine it worse.

I don't believe it's changed, but you should be able to camp in the upper lots at Abasin. Not sure if Vail's influence has killed that tho.

I think I've heard of some spots in Vail, but it's hard to even find a place to park for day skiing that's free and not almost in Eagle.

By Chris Huizenga
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the info! @Bob, I've got a wrangler that I could easily bivy under, but cannot sleep in. Anybody know anything about Red Sandstone Road in Vail? According to the dispersed camping maps (MVUMs), it looks promising for basecamping in Vail...
Also not in Summit, but how about the approach for Gray's and Torrey's? I saw some summer spots really close to the road on the way to the trailhead, but has anyone done it?
On a related note, would anyone be up for building an igloo somewhere in that area? 1 igloo tool and a few people with shovels would make quick work of it!

By Brian Zakavec
Mar 20, 2014
I know this is an older posting but wanted to say that you can camp in the Copper Mountain parking lot. Just make sure you stick to the outer perimeter of Alpine Lot #1 or #2. You can also park in the Corn lot too. Check out my video on it: youtu.be/ug3f6sdQ-d0

By Matthew Ryan Jones
From Minturn, CO
Mar 21, 2014
If you're coming from junction, exit at Wolcott, and go down 131 towards steamboat, there are some trail heads and a couple of roads that have camping out there, and no one should bother you. It's about half way between Eagle and Vail, and approximately 30 min from vail, and 15 to the beav. You probably only have to go 10 miles or less down 131 to find something suitable.

By Tate
From Colorado Springs, Durango CO
Mar 21, 2014
You can camp in the upper lots at a basin, and I am pretty sure the free lot at Breckenridge.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Mar 21, 2014
Bocan
Tate wrote:
free lot at Breckenridge.

I've heard rumors that this won't be free for much longer...but does that really surprise anyone.

I really stopped going there once they put the gondola in the old "free" lot and started making us pay for the rich folks to take a gondola to their mansions.

By Norse Force
From Nederland, CO
Mar 24, 2014
The airport road lot at Breck on the red bus route is actually $5 per night and they say no sleeping in your vehicle; not sure if BPD checks up on that or not.