Will pay for a 4x4 ride to towers

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Nov 29, 2012
Loving it up in the Creek!
Attention Jeepers, Creepers, and those with a 4x4!

I need to find a ride for my partner/s and I to some of those more remote desert towers. I want to get back to the White Rim area, check out Moses et al, and generally get way the fuck out there.

We'd be driving into Moab, load all our shit in your/someone's rig, and get dropped off at some remote, amazing area. Days later, we'd get picked up and driven back to Moab!

I'm not planning anything soon (just got back from the desert), but hope to get back out at least once (but hopefully more) during January-April.

We'll need to bring gear/food/water for several days and get three or four (total) people in the vehicle. Can you or someone you know get us out there?

Thanks!
Tim

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Nov 29, 2012
I believe you can rent Jeeps in Moab.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 29, 2012
Andrew Gram
Rent a Jeep in Moab.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Nov 29, 2012
Yoda
I actually looked into jeep rental in Moab over Thanksgiving. They said 4hr. minimium and $150.00 and hour. That was at 2 different places on Mainstreet. FWIW.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Nov 29, 2012
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012
25 grand for a week of climbing, sign me up!

By Timmamok
From Durango, CO
Nov 29, 2012
crack at undisclosed location - my little proj
Moses is not on the white rim. 4x4 would be nice but you can likely get there with out one.

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Nov 30, 2012
Loving it up in the Creek!
Wait wait wait, they RENT Jeeps in Moab? Next thing you know, they'll start renting mountain bikes too!

But yes Matt, after looking at prices for renting one, I decided to put this post up in the hopes of finding someone who can interpret "Will pay for a 4x4 ride to towers" and owns a 4x4 so I might pay them for a ride...to towers. m(

Thank you Timmamok, but do you think a Subaru can get out there? Sounds like no.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 30, 2012
Andrew Gram
In one second of googling I found a jeep rental outfit in moab that charges $125/day for jeep rental during the winter, and another that charges $150/day during high season. Maybe the jeep for $150/hour comes with a hooker. I don't think you'll find too many folks psyched to spend 2 full days of driving on 4x4 roads to chauffeur you cheaper than renting a jeep would be.

I've driven the white rim and to taylor canyon in a subaru. If you are motivated, don't care all that much about the vehicle, and can spare the time to move some rocks around when necessary, there aren't all that many places you can't get a subaru.

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Nov 30, 2012
Aesthetics
I took my CRV out to Moses this fall with no problem. Suburu's can generally make it back there. That being said, you definitely want to check with the ranger station for current conditions.

By clay meier
Nov 30, 2012
Thats Me
Moses is a really sick tower and could be done in a subie assuming it was dry. I remember the decent to the river as mellow and then you parrallel the river for a bit, after that it gets a bit rough but only for maybe the last mile and I do think a subie would make it. If not it only adds a mile to the approach. If you are renting a 4x4 do washer woman. you do need 4x4 to get there and that tower is absolutely stunningly amazing.

By Evan C
Nov 30, 2012
if you really just want to leave the headaches of planning to someone else check out the bike tour companies, like Magpie Adventures, I bet you could work something out with them, got dropped by one tour, picked up by another... probably get some meals out of it too

By Keen Butterworth
From Boulder
Nov 30, 2012
Bouldering on Rabbit Mtn. Photo by Forrest Weller
Hell, we saw that crazy Kelsey dude romping past Monument Basin one time in his VW Rabbit! There was a lot of metal grinding going on though. You can also rap into Moses from the rim from the end of a two wheel drive road. Maybe they've closed that road now, I'm not sure.

By Charles Vernon
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 30, 2012
FWIW, you can hike to Moses pretty easily from the paved loop road atop Island in the Sky. It's about 5 miles and on a trail the whole way so it goes pretty fast. It may be possible although longer to hike from the top to hit the standard descent for Monument Basin too, though I've never done this. And at least one party I know has done a complicated descent with multiple rappels and downclimbing to access Washer Tower & Monster Woman.

By Dankasaurus
From Lyons, CO
Nov 30, 2012
Homey's just lookin' for some proj community love here folks. It's TooTall....he has no car...stock tacoma could make it where BroTallHomey needs to get to

By Gary N
From Durango, CO
Dec 1, 2012
Profile pic taken at Muir Beach.
Sick video!

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Dec 1, 2012
Loving it up in the Creek!
Thank you Andrew, MIYG, Clay, Keen, and Charles for road/driving beta.

Thank you Dankasaurus for picking up what I'm putting down.

Thanks to those who PM'd! As someone brought up, and I forgot to mention, it'd be great to get a ride from someone AND climb with them too! Tower adventures are fun for more than two for sure.]

Turd, great video, and what a crazy fuckin way to do towers. Much respect!

By doligo
Dec 2, 2012
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
Tim, have you looked into renting an SUV say from area airports? If you think of doing Monster and Washer Woman, a subie would be sufficient. If you're going into the Monument Basin, there is a steep slab that you can skip by parking your vehicle before it and it's not that much of a hike to the climbing. On our tour de White Rim Trail we drove a couple of miles into the Taylor canyon as well to suss out the road and found it not bad, but on a sandy side, so some type of all wheel or four wheel drive would probably be helpful...

By Kent Pease
From Littleton, Colorado
Dec 7, 2012
doligo wrote:
Tim, have you looked into renting an SUV say from area airports?

FWIW - The standard rental car contract does not allow the vehicle to be taken off of paved roads.

By John Fodor
From Bolder, Co
Dec 7, 2012
TooTALLtim, I have a car, let's go climb a tower! I should be good to start climbing again in a week or two.

By Piton Ron
Dec 19, 2012
Larry makes you a very decent offer.

My pet peeve is people offering to pay gas like they are fully compensating you.
Fuel cost is perhaps only 20-25% of cost per mile after factoring in insurance, tax, depreciation, oil, tires, other maintenance, repairs, etc. And you gotta pay that stuff and only get so many miles out of a vehicle.

Around here taxis run $2.50 per mile.
On paved roads.

Seems like a skilled off roader would be giving you fair dinkum at $4 per.

Oh, and road conditions in Taylor last week are not necessarily the same this week.

And Larry is a good guy who helped out a friend (thanks Larry, sent some more this week).

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Dec 19, 2012
Andrew Gram
Let me know if you ever want river shuttling work for those rates Larry. That is insanely cheap for that amount of time/wear and tear on a vehicle.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Dec 19, 2012
Yoda
tooTALLtim wrote:

I know "they rent jeeps in Moab". I was actually looking for a crew of us being dropped off for a BASE jump, so we needed a driver to go along with the jeep, similar to what I thought you were asking for.. Good luck timmy.

EDIT- Larry, we want to get to the top of Adobe Mesa!

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Dec 19, 2012
Aesthetics
Sounds like a normal day of guiding only you can drink beer (most of the way) and you don't have to tell gumby's where to put their feet.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Dec 19, 2012
Andrew Gram
So do you guys have rates to be desert manservants? Do stuff like make coffee and food, carry and sort the rack, rip off strips of tape while the client is making tape gloves, hold the wag bag, etc? I bet you'd make bank when the East Coast climbers come out during spring break.

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Dec 20, 2012
Loving it up in the Creek!
Oh Hank, come now, you've met me several times, it sounds like you took me seriously/it personally :P I just had a laugh when people kept suggesting I rent!

Your prices are good Larry, I'll drop a line if I get a trip together and still need a ride. Oh, and what Andrew said :D

By Ben Folsom
Dec 21, 2012
Rosco, A fine animal.
The Larry wrote:
Andrew let me know when you need a river shuttle. I'll give you a good price if I am available.

I'll take you up on that offer too.