will chalk "protect" my hands?

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Hey guys,

The last couple days I have been doing some mountain biking and then mild bouldering at papago park here in Tempe, and within that times my hands have gotten torn up. Not just the feeling because you are gripping rocks, but small gashes that rip off the skin. Not all of these cuts have happened because of slipping, but I am just wondering if chalk somehow helps to protect myself from stuff like this.

Yesterday I cut open the top of my pointer finger bad enough that I had to stop climbing and head come because blood was getting on the rock (I cleaned it up) and all over my hand. This instance was because I tried grabbing a jagged grip and my hand completely slipped.. So I think chalk would have helped this.

Any advice to this would be great. Maybe I am just being reckless with my handholds or something, but the whole rock is pretty sharp.

Thanks!

By NickinCO
From colorado
Jun 29, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
chalk absorbs moisture. Sounds like you just need to condition your hands.

By Unassigned User
Jun 29, 2012
Bummer I thought for sure this was going to be a troll fest. Why you have to be serious Ryan?

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Jun 29, 2012
When you say condition your hands you just mean get out there more and toughen them up?

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Jun 29, 2012
Jonathan- Was my question dumb or something lol

By Unassigned User
Ryan Dodd wrote:
Jonathan- Was my question dumb or something lol I knew the main purpose to chalk was to help keep your hands dry, but I wasnt sure if there was a secondary effect to keep your hands from getting screwed.

No once I read it I realized you were serious. No such thing as a dumb question. Just the title really sounded like one of the Troll titles.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Jun 29, 2012
My hands arent cracking due to dryness I just keep getting cut because the rocks are sharp.
I did however have problems with my hands being all cracked and dry during the winter times when I was in elementary school. This stuff probably would have done wonders then!

Jonathan- Ah I see. Sorry to disappoint! ;)

By Loren Tragen
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 29, 2012
Nameless boulder on the edge of the Holy Boulders ...
mountainproject.com/v/heal-spl...

The post above had some good tips on healing hands. When it comes to protecting hands for other sports, there's no reason you couldn't tape up. Boxers do it, gymnasts do it, climbers do it.

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai
Ryan Dodd wrote:
bouldering at papago park

That's part of your problem. Its a stretch to call this rock. Sharp, crumbly, crappy, choss is what I'd call it. Yes, climbing more will help toughen your hands up and chalk will help your friction so you don't have your hands slime off the holds.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Jun 29, 2012
thanks for the link to the thread

Reason I go to papago is because its only a few minutes from my house and its a good place for me to get better at mtn biking. Until I can mob down those hills without constantly using the breaks I have no problem with it.

You are right though that the rock is pretty crappy. There is one decent bouldering rock on the south side (almost directly south of the parking lot) and it does not crumble like most others on the northwest side. ive found a couple good routes on it that challenge me and for now thats all I need. Weekend trips I will go to other places-south mountain and such, but during the week when I am getting off work at 6 and its dark by 8 Ill make due with it.

Thanks for all the input guys! Ill bring my chalk bag with me next time for sure.

Oh, and I will also tape up the places where I have some decent cuts so they dont get worse! Thanks for the tip.

By BurtMachlan
Jun 29, 2012
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

By Mark Mueller
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 29, 2012
Great quality rock on this one!
Ahahahaha!

By Josh.Wood
From New York City
Jun 29, 2012
How would chalk protect your hands? It's just a thin layer of dust that dries the sweat...it's not hand armor or anything. If your hands are getting torn up, either use tape or climb enough to toughen them up.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Jun 29, 2012
Burt- I see you did your research on me... I am definitely a rookie climber and I will admit that.
I decided to conduct some research on you and check out your posts..

yikes dude... do your parents not love you or something? You are a freakin hater.

"Sounds like a hiker fell of a cliff and died. Sad he died young but why does this need to be posted on here? Its not like car wrecks or other deaths that have no relation to climbing get posted...."

"The WHOLE way up!? Like all 25 feet? Must get boring climbing such short routes."

"Uhhh seriously? Because there is generally another bolt less than 10 feet below the one you are taking a whipper on. While an anchor will have only ONE bolt with no more below you. You seem brighter than that...."

Stop drinkin that haterade and drink some playerade! (google it)

Anyways I knew this question was a stretch, but that is why I put "protect" in quotes. I realize it wont provide an invisible force field around my hands.

And for the Utah trip..? how is this a dumb question in any way whatsoever. I am not from the area and sure I can google the area but I was hoping for tips for people who actually live there and knew of sweet places with good fishing and such.

Its funny how posting on forums work.. most people are generally nice but then you have 1 Dbag come in and BAM everyone else joins the flame gang.

thanks for the input guys Ill do my very best to not post dumb questions. <_<

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
youtube.com/watch?feature=play...

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
Ryan, his mouth is like his initials most of the time. Easy to ignore.

Are you riding first or bouldering first? Wearing gloves while riding?
Maybe you hands are getting soft from sweating under the gloves?
Sounds like where you are climbing is a big part of the pic.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Jun 29, 2012
Video was a bad idea to watched.. started cracking up during work and everyone around probably thought I was crazy. lol

I ride first with gloves. Never really thought about that thought, but ya I would agree that the sharp rocks dont help.. Ill definitely bring chalk next time and see how that helps. If I simply dont slip and slide my hands against the rock then this will solve majority of the problems. I know the chalk wont do all of the work to keep me from slipping but its a start.

By BurtMachlan

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
BurtMachlan wrote:
Well it just seems like such common sense... you dont have to be an expert climber to realize a thin layer of chalk is not going to protect your hands. Its to absorb moiusture, why would you think it provides a layer of protection?? As you your "utah survival trip" asking where to go on a "survival trip" just sounds lame. Sounds like you are trying to be bear grylls or some other rookie newb. Please think first and post questions second because there is such a thing as a dumb question.(see your previous post)

I was going for a bear grylls like trip so I am glad you caught on.

By Adam Block
From Tucson, AZ
Jun 30, 2012
The chalk I use is a powered kevlar which not only keeps hands very dry but also does a really good job of actually protecting fingers from cuts and gashes. It was invented of course for military applications however I've found it's great for climbing. I have never been able to find it for less than $1,500 a pound (actually smaller than normal chalk) but I got almost 100 pounds of it in a government auction so I'm pretty stocked up for years to come.

By twistlock
Dec 27, 2012
Adam Block wrote:

What is this chalk alled?

By JoeS
Dec 28, 2012
Adam,
Kevlar chalk? Having you been shooting up or just snorting it?

By Bud Martin
From Bozeman, MT
Dec 30, 2012
Is kevlar chalk a suitable alternative to condoms?

By ClimbPHX.com
From Mesa AZ
Jan 4, 2013
Final Pitch on Birdland - 5.7 Red Rocks
After going on a run / free solo of some of the peaks in the area - I will agree that I could see where your hands could be affected if your not used to climbing outdoors.
The rock is sharp and, all the glass broken in the area over the countless years seems to
add to the discomfort.