Will Alex Honnold be the first Free Soloist to die on film?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By JimReaper
Jul 5, 2012
Ok, sorry, that was an insensitive topic, but in all honesty, I meant the question.

After watching the triple crown teaser I couldn't help but realize the possibility of my question becoming reality. All due respect to Alex, he is a bad ass in my book, and I look forward to watching his career, I don't think he should stop, nor do I think anyone should be allowed to tell him what to do, but it seems likely that Peter Mortimer might actually be the one to watch it through his lens if it happens.

We have lost so many great free soloists, but that was in an error when soloists were not doing it for the Camera. If you were lucky to snap a photo, good for you, but soloist used to just solo, (Alone)

Seems as though the odds of seeing more stuff on camera is inevitable. With the onset of GoPro's, Social Media, Sponsorships, etc, it seems everyone and their mother is making movies or is a movie production company these days.

Cameras are everywhere and we are starting to see it all, From Avalanche burials through a first hand head cam to this recent find of Russian Base jumping gone bad.

youtube.com/watch?feature=play...

after watching that video the first time my jaw dropped, but then by the third or 4th time it was kind of funny. I know terrible.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 5, 2012
WHOA, WTF. Looks like that guy prolly sustaind multiple fractures, That was a pretty damn big crater in the snow.

By Ian Stewart
Jul 5, 2012
No, I doubt it will be Honnold. Instead, it will be some gumby trying to immitate Honnold, as we've already seen a handful of "retard falls XX feet while free soloing" videos recently.

Also, for every free solo that Honnold does on video, I bet there at plenty more that he does off camera. I don't think he does it for the camera...free soloing at that level is something that has to just be a part of your core.

By Jeremy Hand
slopey
He'll be the first soloist to die because of because of envy aka me shooting him with a paintball gun from above.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 5, 2012
Or a Red Ryder Lever action BB gun.

By ABB
JimReaper wrote:
...first Free Soloist to die on film?...after watching that video the first time my jaw dropped, but then by the third or 4th time it was kind of funny.

Didn't your mama teach you any manners? You're warped, need help and are deserving of a round-house right to your nose. BAM!

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 5, 2012
Chuck Norris stlye or Bruce Lee style?

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
RJN
The best is the lack of reaction from the camera guy. Not sure if what he saw just happened. And yea honnold will be the first to die on camera.

By JimReaper
Jul 5, 2012
I prefer Jackie Chan Style, or even better would be Steven Seagal. I think Steven could woop Bruce's butt.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 5, 2012
Jackie Chan could MAYBE hold his own against a deceased Bruce Lee, But doesn't stand a chance against Chuck. Chuck Norris is a bad mofo, he could fix a wet dream going bad.

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
The Shield
No. He is generally shot on digi, not film.

By JimReaper
Jul 5, 2012
Two of my all time favorites.

youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature...

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 5, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Translated Russian story:

"March 8 Konakovo district of Tver region resident of Tomsk jumping with a parachute. In a terrible accident, he did not open, the young man fell to the ground from a great height.

The tragedy occurred on a holiday. 28-year-old Ivan decided to try out new experiences and a parachute jump. For this purpose, he chose to support the power line near the village of Glinka Konakovo district, TIA reported in the press service of the Office of Emergency of Russia in the Tver region. Jump extreme sportsman made​​, but the parachute did not open. Man fell from a height of 150 meters, he was taken to the city Konakovo CRH in a very serious condition.

How to tell the doctors, now a young man is in intensive care unit, he was conscious, but his condition is serious. From the hit man has received numerous injuries: concussion and brain contusion, fracture of the pelvis, spinal injury, contusion of the lung, gemopnevmotoraks (presence of air and blood in the pleural cavity)."

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 5, 2012
DAMN, after i gave myself the once over to determine i was ACTUALLY ok, I would have PUNCHED the belayer in the effing face for dropping me like that. That should teach someone not to let go of the break hand. I'm the MAN you're the HAND don't eff it up. Then i woulda lit up a doobie and thanked god i was ALIVE.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
MY ANKLES ARE BROKEN!! I'VE GOT BROKEN ANKLES!!!

(the quote now heard from every kid on the chairlift)

By 1Eric Rhicard
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo
I hope not.

By skiclimber
jibbing at chasm lake
Nice one of Tanner Buff, here is a nice ski one as well.

This skier comes up way short on a gap and goes head first into the wall.

youtube.com/watch?feature=play...!

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
IMO this is a disgusting thread. Next thing people will be placing odds and layin down their bets. Just gross.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Jul 5, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
s.price wrote:

LOL really dude? If this offends you I suggest you cancel the internet...

By Kenny Thompson
From woodfords, california
gorge
I would like to see this thread die!

By Nate Reno
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Jul 5, 2012
Ellingwood Point Summit, Little Bear in the background.
skiclimber wrote:

Haha now that one's just plain funny!

In reply to the thread title: I sure hope not. Would hate to see that, and Alex is one awesome climber.

By T.C.
From Whittier, NC
skiclimber wrote:
Nice one of Tanner Buff, here is a nice ski one as well. This skier comes up way short on a gap and goes head first into the wall. youtube.com/watch?feature=play...!

That is the funniest thing I have ever seen on Youtube, by far.

Please, please, please, keep them coming.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
skiclimber wrote:

THIS IS GOLDEN. Keep this thread going.

By Jaaron Mankins
From Bayfield, CO
San Juans.
I think it is bad juju to even bring up such a subject about Alex. He is gifted far and above as a climber. Let us enjoy the example he sets, not paint a what if this or that type bs. Life is too short. I too am way more worried about the wannabe solo dogs.

By BurtMachlan
Jul 5, 2012
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Jul 5, 2012
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
JimReaper wrote:
...Yes, I posted Anonymously, the old AC from back in the day, but I really didn't know how people might react to this topic.

If you feel a need to post under a different name, it's a good sign you shouldn't post. Seriously, while the internet is full of bad taste, this post holds a special place in that realm.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>