Wider last ice boots?

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Oct 25, 2012
The route in it's entirety.

I own a pair of the La Sportiva Trango Evo extremes, and overall really like the boot except for the last. They great for short->medium appproaches, but I'd like something that I can take on a long approach as well as these tend to be uncomfortable for longer periods of time. Do any of you have a mid/wide foot and wear scarpa/millet/mammut/lowa? I don't want to sell my boots off until I find a comparable replacement.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Oct 25, 2012
Bocan

Scarpa's are much wider, but be wary of heel lift. I've used both the Charmoz and the Freney's. My LS nepals fit very nicely as well and are pretty much the go to boot.

Just to preface I couldn't fit in any of the trango lasts, too narrow in the toebox

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Oct 25, 2012
Mt. Churchill, University Range

You could try and break the shank in your boot and you will have more toe bend for better walking and when you put a rigid crampon on this makes the boot rigid again or you can use the flex bars and keep the toe bend while wearing crampons. I do this to my boots for long ass approaches in AK and carry the two types of crampon bars and love the system, add a pair of -40 over boots to the system and you have lots of versatility.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 25, 2012
Dreamweaver

I have a pretty wide foot and wear Scarpa Mont Blancs. Widest mountain boot I've found and putry durn comfy.

I do have some heel lift issues, especially on long approaches, had some pretty bad blisters coming off of long approaches like Flying Dutchman on Longs.

By Sisyphus
From here and there
Oct 25, 2012
willie

I've had good luck with Asolo and Aku boots. The aku spider is pretty comfy though sorta ugly.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Oct 25, 2012
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

Try the Lowa Vertical GTX or the Lowa Weisshorn GTX. If you fit my size I have both that you could try on. Both have a different fit then the La Sportiva boots
Dallen

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 25, 2012
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

I have a crazy wide foot and Scarpas fit me quite well. The Charmoz is a tight fit and only good (for me) for real short hikes/climbs. My Mont Blancs fit like a dream though. Very roomy with a lot of space for chunky socks.

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Oct 26, 2012
The route in it's entirety.

What's up with Scarpa's heel cup to be wary of? I have a fairly tall heel from years of skiing tiny boots. I feel the top of the plastic heel cup on the top of my heel which definitely sucks.

Dallen what size boots do you wear? I'm a 10.5 street shoe

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Oct 26, 2012
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

I wear a 44-44.5 european which is about a 10.5 US. At least that is what I have found. I have some Scarpa boots as well. PM me and I can get you my phone number.
Dallen