Why don't more outerwear companies make tall sizes?

By Paul Zander
From Flagstaff, AZ
echo lake

I'm 6' 4" and it is damn hard to find a technical jacket that fits. I love the products that companies like patagonia and mountain hardwear make, but I'm not going to spend $200 on a jacket with sleeves that are half a forearm too short. Am I just a freak of nature? Seems to me that these companies are losing business by not making tall sizes... Till they change their mind I guess I'm just going to be limited to Eddie Bauer...

By bearbreeder
Feb 19, 2013

how about short stumpy azns ... we got it worse =(

By Jon H
From Boulder
At the matching crux

Try ArcTeryx, Rab, and Norrona - all are known for long arms. I'm 6'2" with a 6'5" wingspan and I have jackets all the above that fit just fine - the Norrona especially.

Also, WildThings has started making custom jackets again at a price point in line with other major outdoor retailers. You can specify measurements, colors, and certain features in various denier eVent and insulated fabrics. Very slick. If I had a need I would certainly consider them.

By Paul-B
Flakes of Wrath

I'm also 6'4", have an equally hard time. I wear First Ascent, and recently Marmot, been pleasantly surprised with the length of the arms of their jackets.

By Rob Lilley
From Greensboro, NC
Feb 19, 2013
Bouldering at Stanage Edge, England.

Second the Rab suggestion, the cut of their gear is renowned for having long arms.

It's annoying being anything out of the norm, I'm 5'8 and 130lbs, finding pants that fit me is god damn impossible these days. I have a 28" waist but the thighs and calves of a person with a 32" waist thanks to a combination of freaky genetics and too much mountain biking since I was a kid.

What we really need is affordable custom clothing!

By Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Feb 19, 2013
Goofin' on the Grand after soloing the Upper Exum with my wife.

I'm 6'2" with long legs (size 36 inseam when possible) and I recently got a pair of Arc'teryx softshell pants in a long/tall version and I am in heaven! I believe you can find similar stuff in jackets and other clothes as well. If you shop in a good store with knowledgeable staff they can be incredibly helpful.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Feb 19, 2013
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

My Arc'teryx jackets fit well in the sleeves and body and I'm 6'4".

By MTKirk
From Billings, MT
Me on Supercrack

At 6'-4" with freakishly long arms and legs, combined with a 30" waist. I finally broke down (after 40 years) and learned to sew. Best move I ever made!

By Evan1984
Feb 19, 2013

Eddie Bauer has been treating me right with tall sizes lately. It's all good stuff, too.

I'm 6'4" and 190 with gorilla arms. I think EB has the tallest tall sizes. Also, their first ascent series is much more technical than their traditional line.

By Yenni
From Boulder, CO
Feb 19, 2013

My boyfriend has freakishly long arms and Rab stuff fits him really well (even the pieces with thumb loops!) Being a slender girl with a long torso is tough, too. It's rare to find a jacket that doesn't rise above my belly button when I lift my arms.

By Erik W
From Bay Area, CA
Feb 19, 2013
North face of Ama Dablam - taken on approach to Kongma La.

+1 for Arcteryx and Rab. 6'4"

By GhaMby
From Heaven

MTKirk wrote:

I'll second that, especially for non-technical clothing, like work clothes. I took my Mountain Khakis pants and some Banana Republic jeans that I found on sale, fit me perfectly now.

For Techy clothes I find most Patagonia Larges fit okay sleeve length wise in a large (I'm 6'4" with a plus 3" ape index). Otherwise RAB in XL, Norrona in XL, Old Arcteryx in L (but their new stuff doesn't fit me), Icebreaker in Xl to XXL, Quechua XL (European brand only found over there), REI makes softshell pants with 34 and 36 inseams, Kuhl makes pants in 34" inseam, Stonemaster claims that he is going to make jeans in 34 length.

I typically buy skater jeans for bouldering/sport climbs cause the straight leg ones look good on my scrawny butt and they typically have enough stretch to climb well.

It kills me when I hear some short person say that they can't find something that fits them, at least they have the option to shorten or otherwise take in clothes, which is my preferred way to buy clothes, fits in the shoulders or waist then the rest can be tailored to fit you which allows the clothes to look great while moving with you. in the olden days clothes were made to be tailored, you could even take the waist in and out a few inches, but todays clothes are not made well enough for a professional tailor to increase the size, just to decrease it.

By Paul Zander
From Flagstaff, AZ
echo lake

Agreed that First Ascent is a great line. I just which it was more common for there to be multiple length options, it doesn't make a lot of sense to fit a 180 lb 5' 8" guy and 170 lb 6' 3" in the same size large jacket...

But I really appreciate the suggestions here, I'll have to check out some of these brands I hadn't before.

By Paul-B
Flakes of Wrath

sweagan wrote:
One more thing I just found out this weekend that the Patagonia Simple Guide Pants have a 4" cuff so they can be lengthened to fit us bean-stocks. Anyone else have a hell of a time finding shoes that fit? For sport I don't, but for an all day shoe that still performs well there doesn't seem to be many options, I have been looking at the Tenaya's they come in a 14, which would be great if they are narrower than the Five Ten Anasazi VCS in a 13/14.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.

Maybe you all should start an online large/small sized outdoor gear store? I have the same problem finding pants that fit; my legs are short for my waist size (thick Norwegian DNA). I find that some places like Backcountry.com (example only) will have pants I like but not in tall or short however Amazon will have the short/tall sizes of the same pant. The manufacturers do make odd sizes but not all retailers carry them.

Maybe start a site (our outdoor love is growing in participant numbers) that specializes in outdoor abnormal sizes. Just a thought.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again

Tall people problems.

By GhaMby
From Heaven

Paul-B wrote:
A: Where did you hear that regarding the Simple Guide pants? I just chatted with a patagonia custy service rep, said that there was only 2 inches. B: I have an impossible time finding shoes. Scarpa used to make 47s, which worked for me, but it appears they stopped. I've never tried the Tenaya's, but would be interested in hearing about the fit.

Yo, Paul,

Sorry I mislead you, I was thinking about where the hem was originally sewn to were they are sewn now, the distance from the two stitch-lines is now 4", so they could be extended 2". According to this guy that has them you can also order the pants unhemmed from Patty, but I haven't checked into it.

Scarpa is making the new Force X in a 47 AND 48!!! I'm stoked to check em out, the old forces were a good shoe, similar toe to an anasazi, narrower shoe and better heel cup. If anyone gets a pair I would be stoked to see a review.

Has anyone ever had a resoler stretch a pair of shoes (on purpose), I have a pair of 46 Miuras that I would like a size or so larger, with a stiff midsole added.

Us tall people have it so bad: www.mid-day.com/relationships/2012/may/280512-Why-women-like>>>

www.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/02/02/cb.tall.people/index.html

By MTKirk
From Billings, MT
Me on Supercrack

sweagan wrote:

Yes, I like Moccasyms or if I've gotta edge a little I've been loving these, www.evolvsports.com/shop/closeout/kaos-ii/

at that price how can you go wrong!?

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Summit of Rainier.

Paul Zander wrote:
Agreed that First Ascent is a great line.

+1 their tall/large size is awesome. Even better when you find last season stuff on the clearance rack. I just got their down shirt hoodie for about $65. I remember not too long ago they were $200. My favorite piece is the hangfire hoodie.

By The Ex-Engineer
From UK
Feb 19, 2013

Glad to read that I'd not the only person having a torrid time finding gear that fits properly.

I'm only 5'10" but having 28" waist and 33" inside leg, finding trouser to fit is increasingly difficult.

It currently seems that there is only one pair of technical waterproof trousers in existence that will fit me - Arc'teryx Alpha SV bibs in XS Tall. Unfortunately they are probably also the most expensive and currently out of my price.

So any suggestions of other options that are sized around 28"/33" would be greatly appreciated.

By Tank
Feb 20, 2013

6'3 here with 6'6 span - I just got a sierra designs gnar hoody that fits really well, plus it has thumb loops so there's no chance of my wrists getting cold.

By Paul-B
Feb 21, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

sweagan wrote:

Check out Tenaya, haven't ordered a pair yet, but they go up to 48.5! I've heard good reviews...really wish I could try them somewhere.

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Mar 2, 2013

Have any of you tried the patagonia rock craft pants? They are on sale for $47 at 6pm.com in summer friendly khaki.