Why do you climb?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray

Why do you climb?

We all have our own reasons.
Some to get out into nature, some to get high, some to get high (other kind), some to climb the hardest, some because it's fun, so on and so on.

What's yours?

By Brent Butcher
route photo

Why does one not climb?

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray

Because one is old, because one got hurt climbing, because one has mental issues?

By Owen Darrow
From Garmisch,
Nice view

It's too much fun not to and the people you meet usually aren't too bad either:)

By Yarp

Keith H. North wrote:
Why do you climb?

So I can brag about it and offer mediocre advice to total strangers thousands of miles away from me on the intardwebz.

By Matt Marino
From Georgetown, MA
Haul Bag

Sorry but I couldn't resist the setup

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
Apr 13, 2011
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

Because everything else in my life is subjective.

With climbing, you can objectively see your progress. One day you can't make it up something, then you train, and eventually you can.

It is a great reminder that many man hours of hard work are the only way to improve or excel at anything.

By Ben Walburn
Apr 13, 2011
"This definitely beats lying in a pile of saw dust all day"

I climb because it's the one place that I think I can escape Chuck Norris?

Chuck Norris eats rocks
Chuck Norris eats rocks

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

the chicks dig it.

And I dig the chicks.

Brooke after 3rd pitch traverse.
Brooke after 3rd pitch traverse.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Lone goat..

The Larry wrote:
That hasn't stopped me from climbing.

Meh, same here.

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Apr 13, 2011
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.

Phil Lauffen wrote:
the chicks dig it. And I dig the chicks.

Dude, what happened to the eye candy??

By BSU_Zac
From Cedar City, UT
Little Black Dike, February 2013

My joking response used to be "because its way better than sex".

My coworker in the gym was asked this same question so he yells over to me "hey zac, tell her why do you like climbing so much" So i shout back and half way through the response I remembered I was at work and need to censure my self, so my response was.

"Hell, because its way better than.....anything else"

I've often tried to express the complex reasons why climbing is so amazing and life changing but i've never been able to. I think settling on "because its way better than anything else"

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray

You know, I have never thought about having sex with a mountain, actually I haven't even thought about having sex on a mountain either. :)

By BrianH
From Santa Fe NM
Apr 13, 2011
Bob's Been to Joshua Tree!

That Shatner clip was close, but this is the money shot!

Please say four times: Capitan Kirk is climbing a mountain, why is he climbing the mountain?

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

Monomaniac wrote:
Dude, what happened to the eye candy??

Everyone has already seen that one. Variety is the spice of life.

By popular demand....

Brooke climbing the third pitch dihedral in excellent form.
Brooke climbing the third pitch dihedral in excellent form.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Lone goat..

Phil Lauffen wrote:
Everyone has already seen that one. Variety is the spice of life. By popular demand....

By popular demand+1
Brooke looks like a good reason to climb, Phil.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO

Because it's there. . .

By Joe Huggins
From 666 Rue le Jour-Edge City
mmmm....tree

Because I can.

By tomde01
From 10510
Apr 13, 2011

Anyone ever look at trad climbing as a puzzle with physics and math.

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Apr 13, 2011

As the dog returneth to its own vomit, we return to the rock time and time again......(it's a bad habit.....besides;.....what else do we have to do with ourselves.........TV and beer, I suppose, but we can do that in the evening.....)...

By Ted Farley
From Bozeman, Mt
Bellying on the Wedge.

tomde01 wrote:
Anyone ever look at trad climbing as a puzzle with physics and math. I know it sounds super James May lame, but setting up anchors, placing gear, it's all very fun in the mathematical mind sense. Not mention route finding and what not. But there's nothing like a good vertical challenge with a passsion of getting up mountains and faces that even I cannot explain.

this sounds like torture. i think i have the cognitive complexity of a rabbit when im climbing. of course i also have the cognitive complexity of a rabbit when trying to do homework.

By Matthew Carlson
Apr 14, 2011

www.amazon.com/Climbing-Philosophy-Everyone-Because-There/dp>>>

Everything you ever wanted to know about "why we climb"

My reason is that I enjoy having the ability to take myself places that people won't be. For me it's more about the solitude than the actual climbing (I get the same things from sailing and riding motorcycle). While I'm climbing I'm responsible for my own actions and can't rely on other people to assist me (other than my belayer :D)

By jack roberts
Apr 14, 2011

to escape the tyranny of petty things...............
oh, and for the perks

By JitsClimber
From Broomfield,Co
Apr 14, 2011
Me doing my Jits thing (what I do when not climbing)

I second phil... now I just wish my wife enjoyed it as much as I do.

By Jasmine Kall
Apr 14, 2011
Getting ready to climb!

Because boys dig chicks that climb...

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Apr 14, 2011
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

To bag more peaks and because participating in inherently dangerous activities with you life partner generally keeps the petty squabbles to a minimum. The second ended up being an accidental perk, but sure is nice :)

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>