Who is losing weight these days?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By JML
May 22, 2011

I have dropped 27 lbs since January of last year. Counting calories and curtailed soft drink and sweetened tea intake. I also don't eat late in the evening. How are you guys doing it?

I figure another 10 lbs and I'll be able to dunk the basketball again. This summer I'll figure out if it has improved my climbing ability any.

How are you guys doing it and what improvements have you noticed?

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
May 22, 2011

Namaste ~

By JML
May 22, 2011

Kevin Landolt wrote:
I've been drinking a six pack + a night - eating freely (lots of breakfast burritos, pizzas, subs, chips, etc...) - climbing harder and harder everyday - and not gaining any weight! I know it won't last for ever, but I'm willing to cut the chips out when it (weight) becomes an issue. Namaste ~

That is funny! I could live the same way at one time. You must be a young un'. At 40 I noticed my metabolism slowed and i started packing it on. I am 46 now. I am just a tad under 6-2 and was up to 252 last year. Was 225 this AM...almost "lean and mean" but still a few more lbs to go. :)

By Jeff House
From rapid city sd
May 22, 2011
Wind river range 2013

pack a lunch to work every day. my .02

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
May 22, 2011

JML wrote:
I have dropped 27 lbs since January of last year.

I think I found a few of them. You are welcome to come and pick them back up at any time.

By Jonathan D.
From Portland, OR
May 22, 2011
Buds

Could you elaborate on "curtailed soft drink and sweet tea intake?" Soda and sweet tea are the epitome of empty calories. So is beer, but we'll forget about that one =). Also, take a good look at the amount of refined carbs in your diet. Things like cereals, rice, breads, pastas can REALLY pack on the pounds for you if you aren't burning off all those carbs. I run.....A LOT.....and I still try and avoid a lot of unnecessary carbs or I can gain a few lbs very easily in the course of a 1-2 days. Eat more more lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, etc.) I'm not sure what your body composition looks like now, but the leaner you get, the harder it is to lose those extra couple lbs. Once you do, it's all about weight management. I don't necessarily worry about what time of day I eat bigger meals. As long as you're burning off more than you're putting in, it's all good. One staple of my workouts is to eat a big meal before I go to bed, and then run right when I get up in the morning. That way I can just get up and go, and work with the calories from the night before.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
May 22, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!

Eat more veggies and fruits, eat less Ben and jerrys ( but still some!), drink enough water. Along with climbing, biking and running that's all I focus on.

Workout less eat less. Get out a lot, pass the pizza!

By JML
May 22, 2011

Jonathan, I used to drink tons of Dr. Pepper, mainly to try and stay alert at my job, working 12 hour shifts after getting up at 0430 on about 4 hrs sleep. By tons I mean a six pack a day at times. Also a boatload of Snapple, thinking it was healthier than DP. One day I was carrying a 40lb bag of salt to my water softener and I thought, "Criminy this is heavy, and that is how much extra weight I am lugging around!" Decided then and there to do something about it.

By NickinCO
From colorado
May 23, 2011
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

I go back and forth, right now I'm on the heavier side at 191lbs (6'1) and I started a diet again today. I realized this last weekend it's really affected my climbing. I've gained 20lbs from last year when I was down from 203. What really works for me is not necessarily working out (I'll do cardio in the form of running like 6 miles/week and climbing 3 days/week) but watching what I eat. I use a calorie counter on my iPhone called "Lose it" and it keeps me in check. I plan to be down to 180 by July 1.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

Jeff House wrote:
pack a lunch to work every day. my .02

+1 - this seriously helped out my husband and myself in maintaining weight

By JitsClimber
From Broomfield,Co
May 23, 2011
Me doing my Jits thing (what I do when not climbing)

This is me a couple years ago on my way to weighing a whole lot! I was a comp nerd and mostly sat at home and played games after work with the visit to the gym mixed in every once in a while.

Me around 2007. I was on my way up to the heaviest I've been (around 215-225)
Me around 2007. I was on my way up to the heaviest I've been (around 215-225)

This is me Last july at a Jiu Jitsu tourny. I was on a strict very low carb/High Protein,Fat diet to loose the weight. So far i've pretty much kept the weight off.

(started at around 225. I weighed in a 150 for this tourny and hit a a lot of 133 shortly after this tourny.)

Me in July
Me in July

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Just a teaser

I'm a skinny guy to begin with but I think I've lost close to 10lbs in the last couple of weeks. Started a very labor intensive job that I have to pack a lunch for everyday. Only problem is I'm too tired to climb a lot of the time now, but I do love my job and that's hard to say for a lot of people.

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
self portrait

Monty wrote:

Haven't seen you in the Spot(bar) in a while. There's a big loss of calories right there.

By JK1
From Lakewood, CO
May 23, 2011

So maybe a silly question but I am starting to notice a bit of a belly lately. Is there an ideal weight for your height? I am curious about this.

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Stairway to Heaven

You could always use the Mick Fowler technique. Embark on an 8-day climb of a "disturbingly steep" 20,000' peak in China and subsist on a cereal bar for breakfast, two hard candies per day and a small packet of 3 minute noodles for the evening. Here's the full account:

www.himalayanclub.org/journal/siguniang-sharp-and-pointed-in>>>

By rangerdrew
From Loveland
Evans Aprons

I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks. I had some kind of infection of the mouth; as a result, I didn't eat for a week and subsisted on a liquid diet for a week.Not the preferred technique or intended, but I lost weight.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO

JK1 wrote:

By JK1
From Lakewood, CO

Tony B wrote:
I suspect so, but I'm no expert. I suspect the answer is - Whatever weight is below the weight at which you have a belly or rolls on the sides... Right now, I'm clearly above that ideal. A bit over 5'10" and a muscular 165... I was about 6% body fat at 156. Doing the math, I must be about 12% now, but for me I feel worse and it drags on me. It's not bad for pushing 40, but I do have a little "squish" above my harness I need to get rid of. When I do pare it down, I have more energy and less weight to pull around. Everyone's body has a different 'happy place' but I just can't figure how a belly would help. People say I should weigh 140. Without an amputation, I don't think I can get there. That would be ~ NEGATIVE 5% body fat... and I don't think anorexia is healthy.

That makes sense and I realize that but was wondering. How do you measure body fat percentage?

By Will Copeland
view off the 4th belay

I'm currently in the process of losing the seventeen pounds I put on in my freshman year. I eat a salad with grilled chicken and ranch(homemade, not wendys or mcdonalds or whatever) for lunch everyday and then only eat celery, if anything, after dinner. I've kept dinners normal and generally don't eat breakfast. I only drink water with the exception of whiskey, beer, and my daily glass sweet tea to start the day. I haven't increased my aerobic excercise at all, yet...

So far I've lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks. Hopefully it'll continue if I stick to my stuff and start doing some aerobic excercise.

cheers!

By tim f
From Albuquerque, NM
Me and the boys

60 lbs since Jan 1 through exercise and diet. Haven't felt this good in years.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

I think I just gained a couple LBs with dinner. I'll check back after my morning BM and count that as a loss.

By JML
May 23, 2011

Jits, that is an impressive turn-around. Keep it up.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
May 24, 2011

JK1 wrote:

There are 3 methods- a conductivity test, weighing under water, and multiple point calipers. 2&3 are the most accessible & if the data agree, are generally accepted as accurate. If they don't, then you access the 3rd test. High quality gyms/heath centers usually can do this.

By JitsClimber
From Broomfield,Co
May 24, 2011
Me doing my Jits thing (what I do when not climbing)

Will Copeland wrote:
I only drink water with the exception of whiskey, beer, and my daily glass sweet tea to start the day. cheers!

Will,
Sweet tea = Liquid sugar
If you cut back on that a bit I bet your results would be even better. Just my thoughts though. I drink either Coke zero (if I feel like a pop) Unsweetened tea (green, oolong or black) or water.

Thanks JML. It's taken a lot of work and a VERY patient wife. ha!

By vanishing spy
May 24, 2011

JK1 wrote:

You can go by BMI for a reference point.
www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

By W.S.
From Montana
May 24, 2011

Awesome work guys! I weigh about 10 pounds more now than I did this time last year and I'm pretty sure it's the increased beer intake that did it. When I was real skinny it was because of lots of exercise and lean, sparing meals with way less beer.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>