White Gas on MSR stove

By roy buan
Sep 17, 2012
my fave

I recently got the Simmerlite (white gas only). Are these good?
- Denatured alcohol
- Lighter Fluid
- unleaded gasoline
- kerosene (I think not)
- rubbing alcohol
- Others?

what are the disadvantages?

By Brian in SLC
Sep 17, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
roy buan wrote:
So some MSR stoves (or other brands as well) use white gas only. After reading through search results from Google, I'm not sure if I really know which are considered 'white gas'. I recently got the Simmerlite (white gas only). Are these good? - Denatured alcohol - Lighter Fluid - unleaded gasoline - kerosene (I think not) - rubbing alcohol - Others? what are the disadvantages?

Not sure I understand your question, "are these good?"

You bought a stove which uses white gas. Pretty simple: use white gas. Those other fuels aren't white gas.

That said, I ran unleaded in my Simmerlite. Not recommended by MSR.

Disadvantages are the stove isn't designed to burn those other fuels.

By roy buan
Sep 17, 2012
my fave
ok to clarify, "are these good" asks:
1. are those above white gas?
2. are they good substitutes.

By Brian in SLC
Sep 17, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
roy buan wrote:
ok to clarify, "are these good" asks: 1. are those above white gas? 2. are they good substitutes. white gas is called many things in diff countries. In japan for example, white gas = unleaded gasoline. The branded ones (like coleman fuel) is naphtha if i'm not mistaken. But some sources/forums say lighter fluid is also naphtha. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives. Rubbing alcohol is ethanol or isopropyl with water. So with all the info in the net, I'm getting more confused, which is the white gas that MSR is talking about. Out traveling and into more remote areas, outdoor-brands of white gas isn't always available. i tried looking for an email address in cascade designs website. can't seem to find it. Anyone knows what their customer service email is? thanks

No, none of those are white gas.

No, none of them are good substitutes.

cascadedesigns.com/msr/FAQ/Sto...

They list what different countries refer to as "white gas" as an item on that FAQ. Also, they list which white gas (Coleman, etc) are available in the U.S.

Like I said, I've run unleaded gas in mine, but, they wouldn't recommend it. Probably the closest thing you have on your list that would sort of work.

The stove is designed very spefically to use a certain type of fuel. The jet, the heating coil, pump, etc are all built around white gas for that Simmerlite. The other fuels won't work and/or could be pretty dangerous to try.

If you're in a remote area and white gas isn't available...then, I guess I wouldn't recommend taking a Simmerlite.

Edit to add:

cascadedesigns.com/Home/Contac...

By Morgan Patterson
Sep 17, 2012
Topo - Cliffs in Green
Ron - could just go get yourself the MSR Whisperlite International for a few more bucks and not worry about it and just burn whatever you have available. The diff is a small cleaner inside the jet and a wick in the bottom.

Problem solved...

If you need to simmer... it can be easily done on the Whisperlite.
1. Turn off valve..blow out flame.
2. Unscrew pump slightly to bleed off extra preasure
3. Depending on fuel level, 1-3 pumps should get u a simmer at full power.
4. Turn on valve and relight

By roy buan
Sep 17, 2012
my fave
thank you for your inputs (and the link to the email add). I've seen the FAQs earlier and they are just language translations, not really explaining what the composition is.

Anyway, I already have the Simmerlite. The purchase was based on various forums about how the original Whisperlite (not the int'l one) can handle the above ones, either them saying it is white gas or as substitute. there wasn't much talk on the Simmerlite.

I asked here because maybe there are practical/real life experiences out there with the above fuels. Anyway, I'll email cascade designs. I hope I won't get a corporate "do not use anything other than white gas" type of answer from them.

By Brian in SLC
Sep 17, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
roy buan wrote:

My bet is you will. I've asked them in person.

Simmerlite is my favorite white gas stove. Runs great. Discontinued?

Let us know what they say!

Cheers.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Sep 17, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey
Have used diesel, unleaded, charcoal lighter and they all work.

Unleaded works jus as well as white gas, you just have to clean your stove a little more frequently. Diesel is not recommended, very finniky, charcoal starter works quite well

By roy buan
Sep 18, 2012
my fave
Here is the response from MSR:
--------------
Hello RB,

White gas is a petroleum-based fuel that has been further refined than your basic auto fuel. Naphtha is white gas and is often available in your local hardware store.

Lighter fluid usually this is a form of white gas and if so, can be used in our liquid-fuel stoves.
Alcohol we do not recommend the use of alcohol for our stoves for two reasons. 1. Alcohol often has an invisible flame and can prove hazardous should one be unmindful of that while cooking food. 2. Alcohol will pit out the inside of your fuel bottle fairly quickly. Our fuel bottles are designed specifically for petroleum-based fuels and are not designed for alcohol fuels. It is common and perfectly fine for people to use alcohol to prime their stove, as it puts off less soot, but is otherwise destructive.

White gas is not unleaded fuel, and if one were to burn autogas (unleaded) in their WhisperLite, then the stove will clog up and require cleaning.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Chuck Kollin
(800) 531-9531
Cascade Designs, Inc.
4225 2nd Ave S, Seattle, WA 98134

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Sep 18, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey
Wow... That was a really thoughtful response. Thanks for sharing!