Which Orange County gym is best: Rock City vs. The Factory

By B-Real
From Southern California
Apr 30, 2012

Just moved to the area and was happy to know there are two gyms in the area. I've been to both, but wanted more input on which gym of the two is better. Here are my thoughts and input from people I've talked to during my couple visits to each:

Rock City
Pros: Cheap. Lots of walls. Better features. Ropes (as short as they may be).
Cons: Busy. Old. Haven't re-set walls for almost 3 months. Setting sucks. Employees are jaded. Mostly new climbers. Birthday parties are annoying. Dirty on the verge of nasty.

The Factory
Pros: New gym. Cool owners. Outdoor climbers gym. Cool people. Hard routes. Open. Mellow vibe. Really good setting. Clean.
Cons: A little more expensive. Unsure of future setting/success/etc due to it being so new.

Any thoughts? Input? Feedback on which I should go to? If you don't want to place it on this public forum, PM me.

By kevin deweese
From walnut creek, ca
Apr 30, 2012
don't throw rocks

Seems like you're presenting a choice between something you obviously present in the negative versus something that MIIIIIIGHT be negative once time has told.

in a choice between bad and maybe bad, I'll go with maybe every time.

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Apr 30, 2012

I work in Fullerton and live in Redondo. I usually go to hangar 18 after work (In El Segundo) but I have been thinking of checking out the Factory. How expensive is it?

By Randy
May 1, 2012
Vern at the crux of the route. You can also see <a href='/v/street-sweeper/106623020'>Street Sweeper</a> (5.12a; joins in from below left); <a href='/v/my-idea-of-fun/106703074'>My Idea of Fun</a> (5.12d; takes the horizontal dike ending where Swept Away does); Sole Fusion (5.12b/c; the upper diagonal dike); and yes, <a href='/v/raked-over-the-coles/105722638'>Raked over the Coles</a> (5.10d/11a, the straight, left-hand crack down and left). Copyright 2003, by Randy V.

There are more than 2 gyms in OC.

The Factory is a bouldering only gym and might be closest for you.

For roped climbing, Rockreation in Costa Mesa is worth checking out and has lead and top rope areas.

By Jeff Scofield
From Yorba Linda, CA
May 1, 2012
Spaghetti and Chili on the lieback!

In OC, Rockreation is the best, it's in Costa Mesa

By socalbolter
From Silverado, CA
May 6, 2012

Day passes are $12 for students and youth (under 18), $14 for everyone else.

By socalbolter
From Silverado, CA
Jun 3, 2012

The Factory has also just added 10-visit punch cards for $100, bringing the per visit cost to just $10. Cards never expire.

By Pam Peery
Jun 15, 2012

Although it's not in Orange County, I heard that Mesa Rim in San Diego could be/is the biggest indoor gym in the country. (I think they told me that which makes it suspect, but.....)

It's amazing, It's huge, clean, well marked ..... and it doesn't smell bad! (which makes it tops in my book.... but I'm just a woman, so what do I know)