Which Campground at Cochise is best?

By Nick Weinberg
From Essex, NY
Nov 13, 2012

Last time I was at Cochise, several years ago, we stayed at the primitive camprground on the west side. It was great, but as I recall, no facilities. Is it still the same?

This trip we will have more time (6 days) in January. What I was thinking was to spend half of the time on the west side and then drive over to one of the campgrounds on the east side for a few nights to access the climbs in the east stronghold (which I've never been to).

What do people think about this plan?

Any suggestions on recommended campgrounds?

Is the pay site on the east side the only one with outhouses?

Is there a free or pay campground on the east side that is nicest?

Thanks

Nick

By Dylan Weldin
From Austin, Texas
Nov 13, 2012
Summit of my first tower, the Rectory via Fine Jade

Camping at the Isle of Ewe is shaded, level, spacious, and convenient for vehicle access to get to the domes in the backcountry to the north (Whale Dome, Warpaint, ...) as well as the Sheepshead to the south. Additionally, the single pitch cragging while belaying from your chair next to the fire ring is hard to beat. It's also easy to get out of the wind there (which was a huge problem for us in March).

My vote is for the campground at the Isle of Ewe/ Sweet Rock area. Still no facilities. I have not visited the east side.

Cheers,
-Dylan Weldin

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Nov 13, 2012
El Chorro

I think the pay site is the only one with facilities. There are a few different areas near the pay site with free camping sites. I don't remember much, but we didn't have a guide or anything and seemed to find a nice spot on that side for free.

East is awesome. Dont visit again without climbing on the east side.

By Tim McCabe
Nov 13, 2012

Yep you have to pay for the established campground.

It has good access to the upper Stronghold area, the free unimproved sites may require driving up to the day use parking at the campground.

For Wasteland and other crags out near the entrance there is free camping right where you need to be.

I would say start with a night for free out near the entrance and climb the Wasteland.

Then move up to the fee area to camp for access the the upper crags.

Once you make the move to the other side it's all pretty close together camping wise.

By dale polen
From arivaca, az
Nov 13, 2012

bring a porta potty or bags. Dont leave your trash and shit behind. Please...

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Nov 13, 2012
Dow Williams, 2011

I find the best method of shitting on the west side is to shit on an existing cow pie, then fold it.

By Dylan Weldin
From Austin, Texas
Nov 13, 2012
Summit of my first tower, the Rectory via Fine Jade

When primitive camping for an extended period of time I find it least intrusive to dig a pit style latrine. We used a long handled shovel and dug about 3' into the soil and used that hole for about 6 days.

Sprinkle a bit of sand over each deposit to prevent odor and keep flies away and DO NOT urinate in the hole of the microorganisms that aid in decomposition will not be able to function as they are aerobic.

Least obtrusive would be a river style ammo can and disposal elsewhere...

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Nov 13, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks

Clearly, if you climb on the east side camp there and if you climb on the west side camp there........ Pretty obvious, eh

And please, use a wag bag!!!

By Devin Fin
From DURANGO
Nov 13, 2012
dream canyon fun!

was just down their east is nice west is nice a lil more exposed but great sun sets ... +1 wag bags...

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Nov 13, 2012

By Larry
From SoAZ
Nov 13, 2012

There is no water, even at the pay campground.

By Joe Brophy
From San Diego
Nov 16, 2012

If you camp on the east side you will have access (3mi on good road) to gas, food & water in the Sunsites community. There is pay or free camping there and better/more climbing on that side. The westside only has free camping and no access to bathrooms or water. Closest services would be back out middlemarch road to Tombstone which is a rougher road.

Either way you will have fun. Maybe split your time on each side.

By mikehilbert
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 16, 2012
steve's arete 5.11

Isle of Ewe campground is pretty sick. It's in between Sweet Rock and Trad/Rad Rock, two of the most prolific crags in Stronghold...walking distance (5-10 min) to both.

By Christopher Gibson
From Frisco, Texas
Nov 16, 2012
Live to Work not Work to Live.  We Love Our Jobs!!!

Dow Williams wrote:

This is why I can't wait to get a chance to climb with Dow. That is just great.