Where Should I GO???

By JoshuaP84
From Pensacola FL
Apr 10, 2014
Railay Beach West Thailand

Looking to climb for 2 weeks in May and need some advice on where to go. Im looking to sport climb single pitch 5.9-5.11 and also will need good places to camp that is not to far from the crag. I am not familiar with the UTAH area so any advice on where to start and what to check out given my time frame would be helpful. Im prob going to start in Moab and work my way either South or North. Im thinking Maple Canyon, St George, Wasatch Range....
Not sure if one area is preferred over the other.

By verticalworldtraveler
From Midvale, UT
Apr 11, 2014

For sport climbing in May, American Fork and Maple Canyon are great choices. Maple has good camping, not sure on AF. Both have plenty of shade and will stay nice and cool. Most of the good climbing further north in the Wasatch involves placing widgets in cracks but Big Cottonwood has lots of good sport.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Apr 11, 2014

Maple. 5.fun all around.

By DanielRich
Apr 11, 2014

Maple canyon rocks but FYI camping spots can sometimes be hard to come by. Things fill up pretty fast.

Don't let that stop you Maple rocks just be aware.

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Apr 11, 2014
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt Kuehl

You'll probably get guide blocked. Wouldn't even bother leaving the couch if I were you.

By mediocre
Apr 11, 2014

I was interested in Maple as well. Are there micronut placements in case I need to bail?

By SMR
Apr 11, 2014

American Fork has a campground. Do a quick goggle search and you should find info.
Also, maple can have great weather in May, but it snows in May. Two years ago it was 40 and it snowed about 6 inches Memorial Day weekend. Have an alternative just in case.

By madskates
From SLC
Apr 11, 2014

Maple! Was just up there this week and its in great shape! You can camp towards the base of the canyon for free if its not filled up.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 11, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

+1 for Maple and AF. They're both fantastic for different reasons. It's been a while since I've been to AF (like 6 years) but I remember the camping situation to be pretty good.

By Eric Fernandez
From Dixon, CA
Apr 11, 2014

Josh, sounds like you're driving out? get back at me on linkdn, trying to come join you.

By JoshuaP84
From Pensacola FL
Apr 15, 2014
Railay Beach West Thailand

Thx for the info....prob check out Maple first and if its too crowded might head to AF