Where Should I Climb in RMNP?

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Apr 19, 2014
Aiding. Photo by Locker.
I've lived in CO for my whole life and I've been climbing for many years, yet for some reason I've never climbed in RMNP.

Where should I go? I have a trad rack, and I can use it, but I am NOT a badass trad climber by any means. I'm interested in moderate multi-pitch or cragging, I suppose, a bit more than long alpine.

Any of you experienced Park climbers care to point me to some place where I can find a gentle-ish introduction? (And maybe give me some pointers on things that are in season.)

By Eliot Augusto
From Boulder, CO
Apr 19, 2014
You're close-ish to South Platte. I've always had fun going there.

By jmeizis
From Colorado Springs, CO
Apr 19, 2014
The Beginning of Mr. Clean (5.8) at the Barkeater ...
There is a lot of good stuff in RMNP. Try Hallet's, The Petit, Sharkstooth, Notchtop, lots of others. Those are some of the more popular.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Apr 19, 2014
Aiding. Photo by Locker.
I am close to the Splatte, Eliot, and I love it! But I climbed there all winter, it's time to change things up a bit, at least for a trip or two.

By csproul
From Davis, CA
Apr 19, 2014
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the backgrou...
Lumpy.

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Apr 19, 2014
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt K...
csproul wrote:
Lumpy.

I'll second this. Lumpy is more "cragging" than alpine style objectives found in the park. But, if you want to climb something that's awesome try the North Ridge of The Spearhead or the easy South Face of the Arrowhead to North Ridge of McHenry's. This is an awesome weekend trip.

By C. Archibald
Apr 19, 2014
Me on some bolted 10 in boulder canyon
The 5.8 on Petit was my first alpine rock climb. I was with two more experienced climbers. It's a great route. Avoiding slow parties and finding the rap anchors are the two biggest obstacles.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Apr 20, 2014
...
Someone that want's to have a fucking BLAST cracking up laughing and climbing should take teece303 out there for a day of fun!

The dude is funny as hell and a great partner to climb with.

By S Denny
From Aspen, CO
Apr 20, 2014
Days of Heaven

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Apr 20, 2014
Aiding. Photo by Locker.
Thanks for the input, guys,

One day not too far off I really want to climb the Casual Route on the Diamond, but I am not in that kind of shape, currently. Might as well get some practice on other stuff in the park.

And I'd still be climbing with that Locker dude if he hadn't up and left, gone back to the desert! All because he hates approaches and driving... :-)

By Mike Pharris
From Longmont, CO
Apr 21, 2014
Climbing above Black Lake
Lumpy is good to go now. Alpine is still a little wet and snowy but that is changing fast.

By Brendan Magee
Apr 21, 2014
Hey teece303...I'm in HR as well and always looking for trad partners. Currently lead comfortably at 5.8. Looking to progress into higher grades this season. Also would be interested for climbing in RMNP once it gets warmer and the snow melts. I can only climb on weekends as my job is M-F, 9-5. Let me know if interested.

By Eliot Augusto
From Boulder, CO
Apr 21, 2014
Just got back from Lumpy. A bit of runoff here and there, otherwise its good to go.

By teece303