where is the best place to live for skiing if you truly love to ski and cant get enough?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By JPVallone
Jan 11, 2009
Where should you live if skiing is number 1 in your winter life?

By Justin Dansby
From GA
Me at the top.
My vote would be for Taos, NM before they allowed snowboarders. Steep and deep. No one there during non-vacation times. Plenty of backcountry stuff. Champagne powder. You can still mountainbike and climb in the lower elevations in the winter.

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
The Shield
WIthout question Jackson.

By Mike Ben
From silverthorne/denver
Jan 11, 2009
Since you are in a climbing forum....... UTAH

Tons of climbing, from granite to desert

Oh yeah, and the skiing is better than CO

By JPVallone
Jan 11, 2009
Jackson is so expensive, the season is short, Taos never has snow and whats wrong with snowboarders, I am not one, but they made skiing what it is today, Utah, sure lots of options, I live in france in the winter, its my 7th season here and 6th in La Grave, this place is sick, I have been in colorado for 15 years and will never spend a winter there again, but it was a great place to learn. I have heli guided in AK quite a bit, but I would never trade the Alps for it, As far as climbing goes, there is more than a lifetime here and all season long as well. I can ski a 2500 meter run in the morning and go climb all the ice I want in the afternoon and it is all walking from town, Don't know if it gets any better.

But so far if I had too choose out of the suggestions, Jackson for the terrain, It's liberal approach to access and the to notch community of athletes that do there homework and get it done, but not so for the living. Any other opinions?

By C.Ball
From Breckenridge, Co
breich de la meije
I skied in RMNP this weekend and it sucked.

By Adam Baxter
From Estes Park, CO
Jan 11, 2009
JP, what did you do to get a visa to live out there?

By Evan D
From Durango, CO
Jan 11, 2009
Hueco Tanks (photo by Davis Kline)
Silverton, CO , hands down

By Tom T
Evan D wrote:
Silverton, CO , hands down

I second that for sure. The required hiking and steep ass terrain keeps the sissies away....and they usually get so much snow they can barely control it enough to ski. World class ice climbing is only a few miles away too. The town is also pretty unique as far as ski towns go.

The town of Silverton is a little rough around the edges. The first time i was there we walked into a bar next to the place we were staying. We had just spent 6 hours in the car so we were ready for a beer. It was very quite but it was still tough to get the bartender's attention. Upon getting service, we asked why everyone was acting so weird.....apparently two guys had just had an argument/fist fight that spilled outside. It ended when one guy fired his pistol into the air several times. They had just started serving alcohol again when we got there...hence the quite atmosphere. That was my introduction to the town of Silverton.

By Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Jan 11, 2009
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
Like Sam (a Jackson native?) said, there is simply no better place to be than the Hole in the winter if skiing's truly your top priority.
What JP said about the season being short is untrue. Perhaps the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort may have a shorter season than many other areas by a week or two, but when you throw Teton Pass into the mix, you're usually golden by late October/early November. Plus there's Targhee, which always seems to get things up and running by Thanksgiving.
Once the area closes and things stabilize into healthy spring snowpack, you've got at least four different mountain ranges that offer up phenomenal touring through June (and beyond if you're really psyched). It's no secret that the Tetons offer up some of the best lines in the country, and the most accessible once the road into the Park opens in May.
Don't take my word for it. Open the pages of Backcountry, Powder, or any other mag and count how many pictures from the Jackson area you find.

Good luck finding a place to live though!

Since this is a climbing forum though, I will say that there are many better places for a devoted climber to live.

By Jeff Gustafson
Jan 11, 2009
I moved to Steamboat. Climbing is sparse, but the snow is first class, in and out of bounds.

By chosspector
From San Juans, CO
Jan 11, 2009
You shouldn't move to silverton. It's only backcountry unless u have a trust fund and can ski at the mountain every day. the people are all wierd and hate each other. There's lots of steep and long pitches but you have to hike all that stuff. try taos...or the alps. Yeah, the alps are much sicker, move there. But don't move to silverton.

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course
Whats with all the dude's named Evan? geeze! Well, I lived in Breckenridge for quite a few years, and I must say it's hard to beat. I also lived in Driggs and worked at Targhee for a season, that was pretty sweet too, but had it's drawbacks. Breck doesn't get as much snow as utah, granted, but wolf creek, which does, is 3.5 hours away. The season in summit county starts early most years, I was skiing knee deep snow the second week in september three seasons ago, and lasts until arapahoe basin closes it's lifts as late as july. Not to mention the backcountry is a pleasure to ski well into june. If you live in town, you can literally walk to the lifts, there are four other rad ski areas within half an hour, and vail and beaver creek are 40 and 50 minutes respectively. As well, because of it's central location a lot of other world class ski areas are an easy day trip away. Yeah, utah gets more snow and has a higher density of good terrain, but you have to live in salt lake or ogden, some people have no problem with that, but I would. Besides the logistics, summit county is actually reasonably affordable, there are always jobs, it is well enough developed that you don't feel like youre living in the boonies, and denver is really close if you need to go to a city for something. Plus, a five mountain pass is affordable, none of this $2000 to ski at one area business. I really miss living up there, but a real job and climbing called me down to the front range. If all you care about it skiing, breck might be your ticket.

By Kat A
From Bart and Lisa Ville, CO
Summit of Chasm View
Andrew Temple wrote:

JP are you looking more for backcountry or lift-served skiing?

By Paul Hunnicutt
From Boulder, CO
Half Dome
wow, only one person has mentioned SLC yet? amazing. Cheap, very quick access from the city, lots of resorts to choose from, tons of backcountry. and some of the best snow in the lower 48.

By portercassidy
From UT/CO
Jan 11, 2009
Deep in a slot canyon, somewhere on the colorado plateau
Utah
More resorts than anywhere else.
Plus plenty of backcountry.

Plus it was only mentioned once...

By whittlesticks
From Nederland
Jan 11, 2009
hanging at the bridger jacks campground
nobody mentions telluride? any opinions about the skiing and climbing

By Mike Larson
From Los Angeles, CA
Weeping Wall Central Pillar
Andrew Temple wrote:
...or the alps. Yeah, the alps are much sicker, move there.

I second this statement. What do the alps have that no place in US can match? Ease of access (ie. telepheriques). Granted, you better have the coin as well cause things over there aren't cheap, but in addition to world class skiing you have world class climbing in any medium all within the same general area. Again though, it ain't the place to be if you don't have the cash.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
Antarctica gotta have sick-ness all year round. You could then call yourself All-World & go for the first iceberg tracks.

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course
portercassidy wrote:
Utah More resorts than anywhere else. Plus plenty of backcountry. Plus it was only mentioned once...

Actually.... by my count CO and CA have way more skiing than the Wasatch, and it's spread out, so you don't feel like you're in a lift accessed amusement park. Not dissin, utahs rad, but facts are facts.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Jan 11, 2009
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!
drew whitley wrote:
nobody mentions telluride? any opinions about the skiing and climbing

If I had to say one ski area was the best in Colorado it would be Telluride. I have heard a lot about alpine routes in the area and Ouray is near by for ice. Not bad access to Utah desert climbing either.

My answer to his question thought would be: anywhere you can get a career doing something you like nearby a good ski area.

By A.P.T.
From Truckee,Ca
So nice.
*** wrote:
The 5-mountain season pass can be purchased pre-season for $460 for unlimited skiing at Breck, A-Basin, Keystone, with 10 days at Vail and B-Creek. It's more if you want unlimited skiing at Vail and Beaver Creek, but from talking to my cousin who lives in Jackson, $460 is a LOT cheaper than what you'd pay there. JP are you looking more for backcountry or lift-served skiing?

$460.00 is a smoking deal!

By Scott Miller
From Denver, CO
the canyon
Man, I've never lived there but in CO I'd vote for Crested Butte. Cool town, supid' good terrain if there's snow. My 2c

By S. Eppes
From Bend , OR
Jan 12, 2009
I gotta say that Squaw Valley would be my choice. Tons of snow, steeps and cliffs everywhere, and enough sunny days to see what you're hucking off of. Oh and the backcountry access and climbing isn't too bad either.

By Patty
From Reno
Jan 12, 2009
Trying to hang on this big rock coming down the back side of Sanitas.
JPVallone wrote:
Where should you live if skiing is number 1 in your winter life?

I don't know what you do, but if you want to go north of the border, you should check out Red Mountian, BC.

redresort.com/