Where is the best place is CO to do this?

By Brian O'Connell

PM sent.

By Bryan Gilmore
From Your Mama
Feb 3, 2009
Beagle

Holy Sh%@
I always thought BASE jumping was kind of stupid... this video has drastically changed my mind!

By Wayne Crill
From an Altered State
Feb 3, 2009
pilon fracture

ummm, Noraway, France or Italy

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Feb 3, 2009
Axes glistening in the sun

that was insanely rad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Tim D Danley
From silt, co
Mar 11, 2009
Roman Headwall <br />

Within a five mile radius of the local funeral home.

By Cody Cook
From Colorado Springs, CO
Mar 11, 2009
more of the same

Yeah, I've seen this video before. Up to that point I thought I was pretty cool. However, after seeing it, I realized that we as climbers are a boring group of people. I get a rush when I'm 10 ft above my gear on a 5.11 pitch. These guys could jump off El Cap, do a couple of back flips, and then high-5 all of the climbers on the Nose on their way down. We suck.

Oh..just in case you haven't heard...humans can fly now.

By Phillip Morris
From Flavor Country
Mar 11, 2009

"If you could be any animal in the world what would you be?"
"Probably one of those chipmunks that can jump and fly from tree to tree and survive"
- Mike Jacoby, professional snowboarder, $28,000 annual salary, Inventor of non-existent animal species

By George Bell
From Boulder, CO
Mar 11, 2009
Hip trouble ...

Black Canyon? Yosemite would be a great place for this, except that it's illegal. Same for the Diamond. Personally I hate free-fall, but I suppose one could get used to it.

By Buff Johnson
Mar 11, 2009
smiley face

well, if it were illegal, it wouldn't exactly be a "free" fall

da-da-bum...

is this thing on??

By Joe Santambrogio
Mar 11, 2009
on top of the 3rd, in the mist

Phillip Morris wrote:

"If you could be any animal in the world what would you be?"

ah nothing like a quote from Blizzard of AHHHs to bring on the snow...those were the days.

By Cody Cook
From Colorado Springs, CO
Mar 11, 2009
more of the same

This is a little off-thread, but here's a question I've wondered since climbing the Diamond this summer. When one BASE jumps off the Diamond, where the %?&! do you land? From what I can tell, there's only 2 options. The lake, or a talus field. Unless you can carry beyond the lake and the dam, there's nothing else. What's the stategy?

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Mar 12, 2009
Me too!

How did they get their ski's to pop off like that?

Also, maybe a question for Hank, but what is the progression from someone who's never jumped from an airplane even, to being able to do stuff like this? How many jumps, how much experience and how many years typically would it take to get the this level of expertise? It looks frikkin' amazing. Climbing is Weak-Sauce in comparison!

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Mar 12, 2009

I'm sure Hank can say a lot more to this, but I can tell you that most recommend that you do 200 skydives before your first BASE. Most also recommend that you do 200 regular skydives before jumping a wingsuit. Obviously, people don't always follow those suggestions, but those are the standards as a I understand them.

Hank--

I haven't jumped your container yet, but I should be within two weeks! Woot!!

--Marc

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Mar 12, 2009
Lone goat..

Most people recommend several hundred skydives before your first BASE jump. That does not mean that any other BASE jumper will want to teach you(there's the rub). It's not an exclusive club, just a cautious group. Watching people get super hurt or dead is part of the deal so other jumpers, if you can find them, will find out about you first.

As to the other question-
$1400 for skydiving course.
$30 for each additional skydive.
$20 for gear rental (parachute, gloves etc.)
Finding someone to teach how to huck carcass, priceless.

all this, times 200! Woot!