Where Can I Buy Hidden Treasures East: Big Bear Basin

By Ombarrett12
Jun 18, 2014

I live in San Diego and am trying to find a copy of Hidden Treasures East: Big Bear Basin. It doesn't look like it's being printed anymore. Does anyone know where I can get a new or used copy? Or another book that covers the Big Bear area. Thanks!

- Owen

By Frank Pudding
From South El Monte, CA
Jun 20, 2014
On Serpent Scales JTree

It's out of print, good luck finding one. I seen one on eBay last year and it went for $275.

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Jun 20, 2014
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

$275!?!?! damn I should've stock piled on that book when I bought it.

By Frank Pudding
From South El Monte, CA
Jun 20, 2014
On Serpent Scales JTree

RNclimber wrote:
$275!?!?! damn I should've stock piled on that book when I bought it.

Right? I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting one when they had them at the visitor center

By Tram
From San Diego, CA
Jun 20, 2014

I think I have a copy at home that you can borrow (not have!). If you're interested I can take a look for it.

By Roots
From Tustin, CA
Jun 20, 2014

Hidden Treasures East is going for that much? - How much is the original Hidden Treasures going for...you know the one with ALL the areas..

By Matt Michael
From Oceanside, CA
Jun 22, 2014
Me out in JTree

I have Southern California Sport Climbing 3rd Edition by Troy Mayr (which sucks btw). It has Holcomb Valley, but not even that much of it, Keller Peak, and some of Frustration Creek. There's a lot of miss information in there, however. It gets me around and I've penned in a bunch of routes/notes. If you're looking to climb at other areas around Big Bear you're out of luck though.

By Euan Cameron
From Redlands and Mammoth Lakes
Jun 22, 2014
Keller Peak climb

The content here on MP, while not 100% complete, is pretty good. Are there specific areas you are interested in that are missing here?

By The Freehlings
Jun 23, 2014
Profile pic

Euan, do you have any info on the lower dinosaur rock south face climbs at Keller Peak?...or the upper dinosaur rock climbs?

Thanks

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Jun 23, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Matt Michael wrote:

Matt.... I think Troy, had completly quit climbing by the time Holcome Valley (those tiny little stones)were becoming developed.

So that is why it (the GB) "sucks"....maybe????

After climbing at Willie for so many years,and finding out that all the other spots are below average in quality, Troy just sort of lost interest in climbing.

That book is better than nothing.

So have you "Penned in a bunch of routes/notes" on MP?

By Roots
From Tustin, CA
Jun 23, 2014

Troy's book just has the basics. (area introduction if you will)

A lot of the Holcomb routes were around when Troy wrote the 1st edition.

Coyote Crags, aka Big Bear Pinnacles was not a popular destination. It only become that way once Williamson closed.

By Stuhast
Jun 23, 2014

I have the original Hidden Treasure Brad Singer that I borrowed from someone, scanned and made into a PDF file. I would be happy to forward to anyone, just give me your email and I will forward it.

I too was searching for themost recent version with no luck.

Stu

By Steve_Sil.
From Los Angeles, CA
Jun 23, 2014

Has anyone checked out this guide?
www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2188810/Southern-California>>>

It covers a lot of areas so I am curious how much detail each has.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Jun 23, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

ROOTS SAID

"I remember going on the weekends and having it all to ourselves. I mean...who else would drive all that way for such short routes? ; )"

Me to, HVP are a pretty nice place to climb.

I know many of the locals were really bent out of shape when Hidden Treasures first came out.

I think guide books are a good thing.... spreads out the crowds.

By Frank Pudding
From South El Monte, CA
Jun 23, 2014
On Serpent Scales JTree

Stuhast pm sent

By Stuhast
Jun 24, 2014

I emailed all who asked...let me know if any issues...cheers...Stu

By e.bomba
From Arrowbear, CA
Jun 28, 2014

Steve_Sil. wrote:
Has anyone checked out this guide? www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2188810/Southern-California>>> It covers a lot of areas so I am curious how much detail each has.

I have this guidebook. It covers a lot of SoCal climbing areas but there isn't much detail on each one. Barely anything on Holcomb Valley. Its useful overall, but not really as a stand-alone guide.

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Jul 10, 2014
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s

Publication of a new guidebook to an area frequented only by "locals" is always controversial. This goes back all the way into the late 1800's. Back then, when the luminaries of the Climbing Club in the UK debated the issue they concluded that, assuming that the crowds are inevitable, the best way forward is to publish a guide, which not only includes guidance for routes, but also environmental and ethical considerations. I say that a, sanctioned by the locals, guidebook is now essential for this area, especially considering the number of people who now frequent the area. I am assuming that "Hidden Treasures" is now out of print and unlikely to be back in print.