Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
When you have to leave a rap anchor... webbing or cord?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By angieL
From Madison, WI
Mar 15, 2013
axe in dryerhose
Just looking for an answer to a question that maybe I'm over-thinking, but if one has to leave a rappel anchor, or if an existing anchor looks sketchy, which is a better material to leave behind- 1in webbing or cordellette (say 6mm)?

I'm not so much concerned with which will get me down safely, I have confidence either one would, but for those who come after me, I might as well leave the best thing should someone else need it.

Thus, I'm specifically looking for which one wears better in the long run, which one will visibly show wear better (to help others determine if it's safe-- don't want something to look fine but really it's crap), and if it could be a factor, which one would be better for the environment, though I know leaving anything behind is not exactly good.

Any opinions/insight is appreciated! Thanks!

FLAG
By BobGray
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Mar 15, 2013
My Hero
I use both. I thread 7mm cord through webbing and combine the two to make an extra strong anchor. It's kinda of difficult sometimes to thread 7mm cord through webbing, but it makes for a great anchor. I always have a few feet of it attached to my harness anytime I climb multi-pitch. The webbing helps shield the cord from sun exposure as well.

FLAG
By Brian in SLC
Mar 15, 2013
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
If its a commonly used rappel anchor on a popular route? Or, could be? I leave a chain and/or rapide to a rappel ring. All stainless.

Otherwise, 1" or 9/16" webbing or 7mm cord, doesn't matter to me. I've gone fancy before and threaded 7mm cord through 1" webbing and power pointed the whole rig with a rappel ring on it, but, really, stainless chain is going to last forever if you end it with a rapide to ring ('cause you can change the ring out).

7 or 8mm cord is more inspiring than 6mm to be sure. 1" webbing is over kill but works great. Either is super. Leave plenty of tails in a spot they can be easily inspected.

FLAG
By angieL
From Madison, WI
Mar 15, 2013
axe in dryerhose
Thanks for the replies! Since I've never heard of it before, I'm curious as to how one threads cord through webbing. Any good references you could point me to? or a quick step by step?
Thanks

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 15, 2013
BobGray wrote:
I use both. I thread 7mm cord through webbing and combine the two to make an extra strong anchor. It's kinda of difficult sometimes to thread 7mm cord through webbing, but it makes for a great anchor. I always have a few feet of it attached to my harness anytime I climb multi-pitch. The webbing helps shield the cord from sun exposure as well.


I kinda do the same thing, except I put a piece of 11mm static rope inside 3/8ths webbing and then put THAT inside of 1 inch webbing. And then back it up with 7 mil perlon.

FLAG
By cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Mar 15, 2013
Casual Route Pitch 3  <br />Photo by Mark Cushman
I like to leave cord as I have found it lasts a bit longer in the weather. Webbing gets so crunch quickly. Also, If I need to leave cord, I can cut it off my cordalette instead as I only carry webbing if I have a reason. (Like setting up TR in Ouray)

-Jon

FLAG
By Ian Stewart
Mar 15, 2013
I wouldn't usually bring webbing up a well traveled climb (where I expect the anchor to be ok), so if I found I needed to make an anchor I'd end up cutting what I need off my cordalette. If it was a climb where I thought the likelihood of needing to make an anchor is high then I'd bring webbing...not because it's better, but because I bought a bunch when I was a noob thinking I'd need it and I never have...

FLAG
By Andrew Mayer
Mar 15, 2013
top of mt. lady washington - rmnp
6 or 7mm cord, since thats what I'm already carrying for anchors.

FLAG
 
By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 15, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
EricSchmidt wrote:
I kinda do the same thing, except I put a piece of 11mm static rope inside 3/8ths webbing and then put THAT inside of 1 inch webbing. And then back it up with 7 mil perlon.


LOL!!..and then wrap that in and around a heavy chain too.

FLAG
By Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Mar 15, 2013
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
EricSchmidt wrote:
I kinda do the same thing, except I put a piece of 11mm static rope inside 3/8ths webbing and then put THAT inside of 1 inch webbing. And then back it up with 7 mil perlon.


FLAG
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Mar 16, 2013
At the BRC
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
LOL!!..and then wrap that in and around a heavy chain too.


Is a stainless steel chain adequate or does it have to be titanium?

FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 16, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Mark E Dixon wrote:
Is a stainless steel chain adequate or does it have to be titanium?


Thanks for catching my error Mark,,,titanium links, 1/2 inch thick is the basic minimum. We all want to be safe out there..

FLAG
By john strand
From southern colo
Mar 16, 2013
Sorry to be the bitch here.. leave a biner or 2

FLAG
By john strand
From southern colo
Mar 16, 2013
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
Thanks for catching my error Mark,,,titanium links, 1/2 inch thick is the basic minimum. We all want to be safe out there..

you are shittin ' me right ??

FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 16, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
john strand wrote:
Sorry to be the bitch here.. leave a biner or 2


agreed,,but tied to what??.. a cord,chain or web is the debate here....even the overkill anchor humor..

FLAG
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Mar 16, 2013
At the BRC
john strand wrote:
Sorry to be the bitch here.. leave a biner or 2

I don't think they make titanium carabiners.

FLAG
 
By EricSchmidt
Mar 16, 2013
Brian Hudson wrote:


Congrats on jumping on the bandwagon and ALSO not being able to take a joke... Are you always so serious?

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 16, 2013
john strand wrote:
you are shittin ' me right ??


Yes... obviously he is. Are you always so gullible?

FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 16, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Dental Floss...several loops/turns of waxed floss should do it ..save a few bucks too.

FLAG
By clay meier
Mar 16, 2013
Thats Me
Rappeling is for sissies. I only climb it if I can base jump off of it.

FLAG
By Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Mar 17, 2013
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
agreed,,but tied to what??.. a cord,chain or web is the debate here....even the overkill anchor humor..

I guess you could place it like a blade...cam it in a horizontal and hope for the best?

Also, Eric, your sense of humor needs some retuning if you think you're telling jokes.

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 17, 2013
Brian Hudson wrote:
I guess you could place it like a blade...cam it in a horizontal and hope for the best? Also, Eric, your sense of humor needs some retuning if you think you're telling jokes.


Hahaha right.... And who is the idiot who took me seriously? Thats you Brian!

FLAG
By Peter Hurtgen
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 18, 2013
at the rap from yellow spur
How about leaving stainless chain? Around a tree? It'll last long and it's less visable.... Would that work or would people take it and put up webbing?

FLAG
By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 18, 2013
Peter Hurtgen wrote:
How about leaving stainless chain? Around a tree? It'll last long and it's less visable.... Would that work or would people take it and put up webbing?



You going to lug enough SS chain up your climbs?

FLAG
 
By Greg Pouliot
Mar 18, 2013
Webbing is strong and cheap. Bring a couple 1-2 foot knotted slings with you and you can make a multitude of different lengths. A rap ring is super cheap and you can always bring one with you. If not, just leave a few biners.

FLAG
By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Mar 18, 2013
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012
cascadeclimbers.com/forget-tha...

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>