What's the point in having the regional forums?

By Ian Stewart
Oct 26, 2012

Right now the first page of threads in General Climbing has about 6 or 7 threads that are region-specific. Anything from "what are the conditions in XYZ", to "I forgot something in XYZ, or "carpool from A to B". Of course there are times when it may not really be region specific, say carpool or trip planning that spans across multiple regions, or even things like obscure destinations I can understand (such as the Costa Rica one, since most people won't check the international forum but may have information), but when it's OBVIOUSLY a region-specific post, why are people so reluctant to use the regional forums?

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Oct 26, 2012
Best day of climbing ever.  Darin Limvere photo.

Ian, us forum admins can't police all the threads all the time (nor do we really want to), but we try to move threads to proper forums when we can.

If you are annoyed by a specific thread that should be moved please use the "flag" button and the issue will be reviewed and corrected if needed as soon as one of us sees it.

Thanks.

EDIT TO ADD: I clicked through them all on the FP right now and didn't see any that were specific to a location and were in General Climbing.

By Ian Stewart
Oct 26, 2012

Chris, I'm not commenting at all on the Admins' abilities here, I just don't understand why people can't take a second to think "hey, I'm posting about some specific location, maybe I should post it in the regional section". It doesn't annoy me in the sense that I hate seeing those posts in the General section, I'm just bored here and pointing something out. Though I guess at the same time somebody could point out that this thread in itself is miscategorized since it doesn't really have anything to do with climbing and so shouldn't be in "General Climbing"...

As for the FP threads I was referring to, right now I see:
- "Earth Treks Rockville Parter This Week"
- "South Face of Washington Column Conditions 10/23/2012"
- "Favorite New England Climbs?"
- "Last minute ride to the Valley from Sac! Tonight!"
- "Weather in Palisades????"
- "glenwood climber in need of good karma"
- "Indian Creek!!!" (looking for partners in IC, not ride-share)

I would personally consider those all region-specific. Of course I understand why somebody would just post to General, in order to increase visibility, but still...

By Ian Stewart
Oct 26, 2012

Wait, so this thread was moved (and I admit, perhaps rightfully so), but not a SINGLE one of the threads that I pointed out were? Are the admins (or rather, one admin at least) disagreeing with me that the threads I pointed out are region-specific?

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Oct 26, 2012
Best day of climbing ever.  Darin Limvere photo.

Yes people please put your damn forum posts in the right damn forum!

Better? :)

I stand by my offer for you to flag them, then they will definitely get reviewed.

Oh, and I didn't move your post, but it's kind of funny that someone did.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Oct 26, 2012
modern man

"Favorite New England Climbs?"

just about every climber in CO is from the east eh? thats about the only state they flock to for some reason.

it must be the cheap living situations

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Oct 26, 2012

fair weather climber wrote:
it must be the cheap living situations

I don't know about that. But I know it definitely has nothing to do with the high concentration of good climbing.