whats the best pants for climbing?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By hyung kim
From granada hills ca
Jan 18, 2011

I recently started to climb and I want to get some climbing pants. Whats the best ones out there? Do I need climbing specific pants?

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

Go with cheap Dickies loose-fit jeans to start as you will trash many pairs early on. Eventually, you can invest in Prana, Carhart, or the other names; but don't waste your money yet. Also, get a little pad of some sort to sit on when at the crags. You won't believe how fast we put holes in the ass just by sitting on dirt and rocks.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I live in my Prana collection year round. Shorts, calf length, full length, plenty of flexibility and not too badly priced if you catch them during numerous sales at Miguels in the Red.

By JWong
From Los Angeles, California
Jan 18, 2011

If you find that your pant legs kind of hinder your movement, look for pants with a diamond gusset in the crotch. It gives you more room to move in the seat and frees your legs up. It's a diamond shaped patch sewn in between the legs. Also keeps from splitting your pants if you do a lot of wide stemming moves.

You find them in martial arts uniform pants as well as many of the "climbing specific" pants.

I agree with Mike though, Dickies pants or shorts are cheap, durable, and work really well.

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
Jan 18, 2011

whatever fits and feels best at the thrift store. you can roll or cut the pant legs to fit however you'd like.

if you're cragging I don't see why you need much else unless you think other people care what you are wearing.
for longer routes where exposure to weather is more of an issue, then investing in more technical pants is a good idea.
cragging, keep it cheap, you're gonna wear holes in them anyways.

I'll add that I do own one pair of pranna pants. they were work pants for years before getting a bad stain on them and becoming climbing pants.

By Mattberr
From utah
uintas

bergbryce wrote:
whatever fits and feels best at the thrift store.

+1 for the thrift store!!

By Dustin B
From Steamboat
It's always a party.

Mammut Champ pants are required for this sport. Other pants simply will not work. they can be found at any mammut retailer for 240-270$.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

Who remembers Christian's banana-hammock phase?

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Jan 18, 2011

Prana pants that I got for like $6 at the factory sale. I've been climbing in them for a few years and still going strong.

They are also my backpacking pants.

By Kurt Ross
From Boulder, colorado
Every single day.

Lycra all the way!

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/21/article-0-0492E73D000005D>>>

By Kurt Ross
From Boulder, colorado
Every single day.

He never did.

By mass

hyung kim wrote:
whats the best pants for climbing?

No pants. Next!

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
Artist Tears P3

Whatever you're wearing at the time!

By bheller
From SL UT
Jan 18, 2011

The long held secret to climbing well is certainly apparel... Just assume that the more expensive the pants are, the better a product you will be getting for your money, and the better a product (in this case pants) the better climber you will be. Certainly no one ever looked good or climbed well in thrift store clothes!

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

+1 on the gusset reminder. most store pants don't have this, as they aren't intended for stem moves or foot over head kind of lifestyle. Agree on the thrift store for a source of good used gear. My first pants and wool sweaters came from the dollar resale shop.

By Boodge Nomchompski
Ancient wall art

Underpants. No matter what, underpants.

By Choss Chasin'
From Torrance, CA
Black Mountain

I used to climb in shorts. Then I climbed my first off width.

I used to climb in Dickie's. Too thick and hot

I used to climb in Jeans. Ripped an eight inch slit in my ass in front of some 8 year old kids and their tourist parents. Thank god I wear underwear.

I now climb in Prana pants.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado

Hyung,

It depends on your budget and your fashion requirements. Got a lot of disposable income, get the nicest pants you can find...Prana is nice if the cost doesn't matter. On a budget, even loose jeans work well...plus it has the Hard Grit, Brit look that can work. No, you don't need climbing specific pants. When you first start out, your technique will tend to abuse your clothing, gear, shoes, and even ropes. You can even use those thick, cotton shorts made by Cartharts (sp?) that can last. Stretchy often works better, since it'll give if you snag gear or rock. Rock tends to catch on cotton-types and eventually create holes. On rock, being able to see your feet is nice, so tapered ankles can be a plus. If you're on a budget, check out the 2nd hand shops. If you're into alpine, no on cotton.

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

Kurt Ross wrote:
Funny story: Myself and Phil Lauffen saw Hank Caylor in Eldo, and he told us he would give us HOTPANTS so that we could climb three number grades harder... He never did.

Broke my heart...

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jan 18, 2011
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.

There are no specific pants requirements for sure but I'm a big fan of the Prana stretch zion pants for climbing. Light weight, decent stretch in the material, cargo pockets for gloves or other small items you want access to and the option to roll them up and snap em into man-pris for a little extra ventilation on those hot days.

By Travis Spaulding
From Las Vegas, NV.
Jan 19, 2011
The first pitch belay on Chips and Salsa (5.3) Red Rocks, NV.

Jason Halladay wrote:

+1 - my last pair of Zions lasted a few years. I bought a pair of Mountain Gear zip offs and the ass tore out of them in a week. Very weak pants.

I have a pair of Patagonia zips that are holding up pretty well, but if you're climbing trad it will be hard on any pants.

If I am planning to go up something really rough, I wear military BDU pants from the surplus store. They last forever.

All depends on what you want to pay I guess.

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Jan 19, 2011

Never underestimate the power of the man-pris. I made the mistake of buying them to work with street shoes (didn't think about it) so they are too long for climbing shoes and if not for the power to roll them up and not have to worry about them falling down the material would be torn up/ causing havoc with my rock shoes.

By Brian Snider
From NorCal
Jan 19, 2011
Whoo Hooo!

I usually climb in what ever pants I ripped when I wasn't supposed to be climbing. They usually start off as a nice pair of North Face kakis for dress then camping then climbing then working on the truck then trash and repeat. I did try a pair of man pris but Im short so they just look like really short pants plus it's San Fran and didn't want to send the wrong message.
Edit. Lol just relized I'm sporting pris in my profile pic. It works, I have chicken legs.

By Kaelen Williams
Jan 19, 2011

These:

YIKES
YIKES

OBVIOUSLY

By Chase Roskos
From Boulder, CO
Jan 19, 2011
The Raven - Shelf Road

I like my Mammut Courmayeur Pants for climbing a lot. They fit great, and I've used them on ice, in the gym, at the sport crag, groveling in offwidths, and so on. Only issue is they are a bit pricy, and that if the temp is around 80F or more they are too hot. As long is it's less than that I go to these. Find 'em on sale and fall in love.

By Brent Butcher
Jan 19, 2011
route photo

I personally like, Mountain Hardware's Canyon Pants.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>