What was going on at Cob Rock today!?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jul 2, 2011
Viking helmet cover, yep.
We were climbing at Blob Rock and as we arrived there was a huge operation going on at Cob Rock. A girl was standing on the other side of the creek with a harness on, and she seemed to be fine - standing there calmly, basically. They extended a firetruck basket across the river and picked her up, and as she came back she was raising her arms in the air and waving them like she was cheering...!?

I can't seem to find anything in the news about it, does anybody know what the deal is? I'm so confused by what we watched...

By Andrew Shoemaker
From Garden Valley, ID
Jul 2, 2011
Me on Mt. Evans
My quess is some noob freaked out about crossing the tyro...seen it happen before.

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jul 2, 2011
Viking helmet cover, yep.
Andrew Shoemaker wrote:

Really? I hope it was something that benign, but at the same time it'd be pretty ridiculous with the number of emergency vehicles that were up there.

By David A
From Boulder, CO
Jul 2, 2011
Hanging out after climbing a route in Eldo on a co...
denverpost.com/commented/ci_18...

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 2, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
Maybe the tyrolean needs to be tensioned a bit?

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jul 2, 2011
Viking helmet cover, yep.
Thanks for the link.

There were at least 2 other parties we saw on Cob Rock still when all of the emergency vehicles cleared out. I'm skeptical as to how much of an emergency this was if no one was concerned about how any of the other climbers were going to get back across the river.

By bag
Jul 3, 2011
Saw some young dude hand-over-hand this same tyrolean untethered last week.

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Me and Spearhead
Sounds like the routine gong show that Bocan turns into during "climbing season".

By Rich Farnham
Stich wrote:
Maybe the tyrolean needs to be tensioned a bit?

The article implies she was "in the creek". I highly doubt it. People have been going back and forth across this thing daily. I crossed it about two weeks ago to go rig the Eagle Rock tyrol.

The problem is there is a rock right below the tyrol, that when the creek is extremely high (like now) sprays water up into the air. When I crossed is recently, I got a little spray. If you sat there for twenty minutes, you'd probably get pretty wet.

Sorry these folks cruxed getting across it, but putting it any higher would require all sorts of tree climbing shenanigans to even get on the tyrol in the first place (pretty dangerous, as the tree basically hangs out over the water). It's anchored at the same points it has been for several years, but now has static rope that keeps you higher out of the water.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Imaginate
Read the article. These women were ridiculous, what a waste of our tax dollars. She got tired half way across and couldn't make it the rest of the way. Really? Then her friend couldn't make it back across on her own either, so they had to use a firetruck basket? Climbing isn't for everyone...

On another note, that tyrolean is great.

By XOG
Jul 3, 2011
Descending the precipice trail at Acadia NP.
Prussik.

By Ben Walburn
Jul 3, 2011
"This definitely beats lying in a pile of saw...
thats some funny shit, ha ha!

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 3, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
Yes, sounds like some inexperience with doing this sort of crossing.

Boulder needs a practice tyrolean over some poison ivy bushes.

By koreo
From Denver, CO
sloping
You have got to be kidding me. Go back to cali.

By John Maurer
Jul 3, 2011
Crested Butte, looking for a landing . . .
XOG wrote:
Prussik.

Amen. Even one made out of a wet sock would have worked!! You never know, though - she may have been very scared, to the point of not thinking rationally. Who knows, she may have easily had the ability but the water just may have triggered some kind of panic/terror reaction. I'm glad they are both okay and that the responders don't take a dismissive attitude.

XOG said it best . . . "Prussik". I was forced to walk through Dillard's a month ago (I've been to a mall about 5 times in the past 10 years) and there was a huge display for Prana and other climbing oriented (& the display was for climbing - not yoga) clothing. My point is, I used a prussik to get the hell out of there. No, my point is that as the sport is where it is, these things are going to happen more and more. These climbers will learn, but more regulation will ultimately result. There really is little pioneering in it anyway, and we all have some level of learning to do. Too bad some of the other climbers didn't notice (and no way they could hear) what was happening . . .

By Ray Lovestead
From Boulder, CO
I pity the fool

By J tot
From Tempe, AZ
zen
Did this traverse just a couple of days ago. There is one rapid that splashed over us but nothing bad. If she had made it across she should have made it back.

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jul 3, 2011
Viking helmet cover, yep.
Joshua J. Williams wrote:

Agreed. The thing that really got me about the whole thing is the way she was cheering as she was brought back over - it just seemed totally inappropriate, like she was taking this Boulder Canyon shutdown with 10 emergency vehicles thing very lightly...

By jack roberts
Jul 3, 2011
This really is the most ridiculous thing I have read in awhile.
Yeah, agreed. Some people should not be in this sport.

By Helldorado
From Boulder, CO
bag wrote:
Saw some young dude hand-over-hand this same tyrolean untethered last week.

I do it all the time, not a big deal. Pretty exciting when the whitewater is like a foot away.

By Andrew Shoemaker
From Garden Valley, ID
Me on Mt. Evans
I just crossed this thing about 2 hours ago...the tyro is in perfect shape...plenty of tension. Ya, you get splashed on your ass for about 5 seconds but its nothing anywhere close to "dire" or "dangerous". Stupid cali girls shoulda stayed home and let their own state pay for their stupidity. There was absolutely no need to call for "rescue". RIDICULOUS!!!

By koreo
From Denver, CO
sloping
Ray Lovestead wrote:
This is a tragic story and should not be made light of. These two people were in dire need of assistance and the Boulder rescue squads were able to provide it. I would like to extend my hand in help and offer money to purchase their single use rack of climbing equipment at a discount.

+1 and fuckin hilarious

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
why the basket? all they had to do was dangle a new pair of shoes and a handcrafted bag on the near side

By Andrew Shoemaker
From Garden Valley, ID
Me on Mt. Evans
Mark Nelson wrote:

...or a Starbuck's french vanilla triple shot latte

By Carl Dixon
From Boulder
Skiing on belay.
Driving up the Canyon at around 10:15 on Saturday, I saw a woman crossing that traverse clipped in with what looked like a 3-foot sling. Obviously, she was dangling in the water. It's hard to think that someone would have been stuck there that long, so maybe it wasn't the same person. It seems pretty obvious from looking at the setup that you would want to tie in as short as you can to stay out of the water. I guess the woman in the article missed that point.

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray
This is down right pathetic.

However this still is the most entertaining thing that I have seen in quite some time.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>