what to do in Estes on a rest day?

By BigJuggsjohnson
Stones
Its 100 in Denver! Estes is the place to be! But what to do on a budget when u r butt tired from climbing and hiking the day before? ??? Opinions?

By Leeroy
Jul 21, 2012
Sounds like a great day to see a therapist.

By mcarizona
From Flag
Jul 21, 2012
Get a coffee and sit and look at all those turists a while. What a scene (I was one of them last week!)

By Addison
From Boulder, CO
me at eldo
so many tourists

By BigJuggsjohnson
Stones
Serious answers please btw a massage therapist would sound good but cha ching!

By Ben P
From Fort Collins, CO
The Notch
Go flyfishing...with beer of course.

By Copperhead
Jul 21, 2012
Get an iced coffee. Sit by Big Thompson or somewhere staring at longs.

Go for a hike.

Margs

Beers

The library

Ice cream

Chocolate

Pick up tourists

By Josh Olson
From madison, wisconsin
Looking at a 5.7 crack with Nick
Go up to Lumpy, and hike to Gem Lake. Then go to Ed's Cantina.

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Eiger summit
Estes Park Brewery.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Brian wrote:
Estes Park Brewery.

+1 for a rest day activity, then sit by the Big Thompson and soak your feet with a cold one in hand.

By Adam Paashaus
From Greensboro, North Carolina
Jul 21, 2012
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to the summit for sunset. Its only a 10 minute walk from the main wall. Don't forget your headlamp.
Go up trail ridge road and hike down the ute trail for 10 minutes to have a nice section of tundra to yourself... with beer in hand.

By BigJuggsjohnson
Stones
I don't have fly fishing stuff, don't drink beer, not interested in tourists, too sore to hike, saving my calories to eat chocolate, already had a pot of coffee. Today's solution: we went consignment store hopping!

By KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Jul 21, 2012
Go to Moraine Park and walk/wade down the river.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Luke Skyrocker wrote:
Go to Moraine Park and walk/wade down the river.

?? Often means getting swept down the river. I got my shorts pulled halfway off by the current once., but I was down near the curve in the road where it is faster.

By Robert Buswold
From Longmont, CO
Clear Creek Canyon, Capitalist Crag
Josh Olson wrote:
Go up to Lumpy, and hike to Gem Lake. Then go to Ed's Cantina.

Am I the only one that thinks Ed's Cantina is crappy food and no atmosphere?

By KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

I was thinking of the flat curving sectionsin in upper Moraine Park. Also, the river is low because of the drought. However, I am inclined to be really good in rivers. I have saved two people on seperate occassions from drowning in the past.

Nevertheless, the river in Moraine Park is pretty mellow right now.

By BigJuggsjohnson
Stones
Yea I did just what u said and got swept by river. Typical MP advice! Haha funny...

By KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Jul 21, 2012
What more can you ask for...an adventure on your rest day!

By Rick Mix
From Nederland, Colorado
Jul 22, 2012
Estes has a public indoor pistol range if you like to shoot.
Or go fishing.

By Andy Novak
From Golden, Co
Jul 22, 2012
Living the High Life.
Rick Mix wrote:

The Rock is more expensive, but the food is great. I like Ed's because almost everyone who works there, including the owner, is a climber. The bartender who pours your marg just got off the diamond, and that cute server just broke the speed record on the Nose. It's a climbers joint.

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Jul 22, 2012
Option number one - Get slightly buzzed at Ed's Cantina

Option number two - Get completely fucked up at Ed's Cantina

Climber owned and operated with great food /drink / service.

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Jul 22, 2012
I like to hit up the local rec center on rest days. Get a shower, do some swimming, sit in the hot tub. The one in Estes is pretty nice too.

By Copperhead
Jul 22, 2012
Rick Mix wrote:
I second the motion that Ed's ain't all that. Much prefer The Rock Bar. Cheaper and way better service. Estes has a public indoor pistol range if you like to shoot. Or go fishing.

I used to like ed's before they remodeled. Used to be a bunch of grungy types in there late in the day. Now it seems sterile, with few interesting patrons.

By quinndalina
From Estes Park
Mar 4, 2013
Casual Friday on Serenity Crack, Yosemite
mmm. Service at the rock? Really? I like it there mucho, but the service?
Estes Brewery? If you grew up going to Hockey games and find enjoyment in shitty nachos that give you gas and beer that tastes...mmm... well like urine...then maybe the Brewery is the place for you. I hear the ladies dig your mullet, p.s!

I might be biased in my agreeing with Andy Novak, Ed's *fishtacos* and water sports!!!
I highly recommend a river float from the post office to Kind Coffee, pop into Ed's for a marg, walk back to the post office and repeat.

Sorry, what is a rest day anyway?

By jhn payne
Mar 4, 2013
"Ragin Cajun" 5.12c Jackson Falls, So Il.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned chilling out on the veranda at the Stanley Hotel, great views, tourist watching, have a beer.