Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
What tele ski do you recomend

By Sergio P
From Idaho Springs, CO
Mar 4, 2010
World Champion NY Giants logo

Iíve been riding Karu Jacks for the past 7 years. These are the old twin tip orange ones. They used to ride like a Cadillac but now they have the camber of a rubber band and have multiple core shots. Thus, Iím finally converting these to my rock skis. Since I havenít been in the ski market for over 7 years Iím wondering what tele ski you would recommend.

Below are some specks to help you understand how I ski.
1. My current ski dimensions are about 170 long 120 at the tip and around 100 underfoot. I think I want to expand the tip and underfoot to around 130/105.
2. I will be mounting my hammer head bindings on what ever new ski I get
3. My boots are T2s
4. I spend about half my time in the back country and half at the resort
5. I tend to ski powder, trees, back country crud and soft bumps. I almost never get on hard pack.
6. Most people consider me an aggressive tele skier b/c I tend to get lower then necessary. Hey, I like my face shots!

So basically, Iím looking for a good all around ski and wondering if anyone has some good suggestions.

By stredna
From PA
Mar 4, 2010
Top o' the Preist

you like the giants?

By W.S.
From Montana
Mar 4, 2010

Karhu doesn't make the Jak anymore, but they've got the Team 100 which at 130/100 is pretty close to your desired dimensions.

Honestly, I'm not going to be much help, but I bet these guys would have some suggestions for you: Telemark Tips

By Sergio P
From Idaho Springs, CO
Mar 4, 2010
World Champion NY Giants logo

stredna wrote:
you like the giants?

More like fanatic about the Giants.

Thanks WS for the link, I'll check it out.

Anyone else have personal suggestions?

By dtomczik
From Bishop, CA
Mar 4, 2010

G3 Reverends?

By AJS
From Boulder, CO
Mar 4, 2010
In the sea of Cortez - Baja California, Mexico

I learned recently that Karhu just got absorbed/sold into K2...K2 had been pressing Karhu skis for a while, so I'm hoping K2 keeps the Karhu designs alive, but who knows. It could mean you might find some good deals on them though :)

I love my Team 100's (as does another friend who skis them). Another friend has the Team 130's but those are like two snowboards on your feet.

I'd suggest the Black Diamond kilowatts or K2 work stinx. I'm a big fan of BD's skis and have an older version of the work stinx (my rock skis)...

By bigwallrog
From the farside
Mar 4, 2010

Not a tele skier myself but almost all the people I ski with are and they all swear by the Voile Insane, I ski em AT and have been super impressed with them also .

I have a friend who skis the kilowatt's and loves em.

And the old K-2 work stinx was my go to ski before the Insane

By matt davies
Mar 4, 2010

Volkl Crossrangers

By Sergio P
From Idaho Springs, CO
Mar 4, 2010
World Champion NY Giants logo

bigwallrog wrote:
most all the people I ski . . . all swear by the Voile Insane, I ski em AT and have been super impressed with them also .

I've heard that before, but I was wondering if they are really heavy for back country touring. What do you think? Is there much of a difference in weight between a alpine ski like that and a tele specific ski?

And keep the inputs coming in!

By Brendan N. (grayhghost)
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Mar 4, 2010

I really like the BD Justice for lightweight floatiness and an ability to put it on edge and carve.
Your aggressiveness should compliment them well.
I ski them with Dynafits.

By BackCountry
From West Point, UT
Mar 5, 2010
Whaaaat?

Person Suggestion: I'm wicked serious about the ones that can be put together!

My improved shred planks!

split
split

together <br />
together

By bigwallrog
From the farside
Mar 7, 2010

Sorry about not getting back to ya sooner

The insane is a very light ski my ski partnkers wife skis them At and shreds everything trees ect w them

They make em w the tely inserts or a std flat deck

I don't think there heavy even compared to my Goode carbon 82s but I have them mounted w Dukes so my suggestion is to check em out I think you'll find them very light

By bigwallrog
From the farside
Mar 7, 2010

Sorry about not getting back to ya sooner

They make em w the tely inserts or a std flat deck

By bigwallrog
From the farside
Mar 7, 2010

Sorry about not getting back to ya sooner

They make em w the tely inserts or a std flat deck

By Aaron G
From Driggs, ID
Mar 7, 2010
The boots felt better in the store than after 20 miles of hiking...

I love my Karhu Storms
karhuskico.com/product/storm

By Blake Cazier
From duluth MN
May 30, 2010

scottybobs - bought them in silverton at the factory and have loved them. I understand they have some new models since I got mine about 8 years ago