What should I expect on my first trip to vedauwoo?

By Don Ferris
From Eldorado Springs
Jun 9, 2014
Crux of ignominy
Going to Vedauwoo this weekend and just wondering what I should expect as far as grades go. I live and climb mostly in Eldo so how does it compare? Anything that is a must do out there? Also, what areas should I stick to if I want to get a good feel for it?

Thanks a bunch.

By Derrick W
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jun 9, 2014
Expect to get shut down...

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Jun 9, 2014
Stabby
Expect bleeding.
Gobies. Lots of gobies.

By Sagar Gondalia
From Golden
Jun 9, 2014
Right before stepping onto the Emmons Glacier, below Camp Schurman.
Agree with everything above. Expect to have an awesome time. The voo is a magical place. Head to Valley Massif if you're interested in some great moderate 2-3 pitch climbs. There are a number of 5.7-5.9 2-3 pitch crack systems that are a blast.
Middle Parallel Space is my favorite climb in all of the voo. 5.9 OW to a cool chimney, handcrack, fingercrack with a slab finish. A little bit of everything. Ed's is indeed a great casual intro to the rock. Just to the right of it is a super cool climb called Satterfield's crack, which protects with wide gear but doesn't require any OW tech. For a true taste of the voo check out Mainstreet, which is the testpiece 10a OW there. Protects with 5s, 6s and big bros.

Mother #1 is the hardest 5.7 I've ever done. Fantasia, and Finally are both great 5.9 OWs. The MRC (mountaineer's rock climb) is also a super great line. The direct version goes at 5.9, and the left variation at 5.7, and they bring you to the base of a spectacular 5.9 handcrack called The Straight Edge.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jun 9, 2014
Here's Clubber Lang's prediction for your trip:

By Joe Forrester
From Ft. Collins, CO
Jun 9, 2014
Shark eating seal.
Shark eating seal.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Jun 9, 2014
As far as grades go, the cracks feel harder than Eldo graded cracks to me. Lower end routes have less differences in grades than mid-grades 5.9 and up. The face climbs are fairly comparable...with the caveat the rock is different. As stated above, it is a fairly magical place...shorter though.

By Nick Votto
Jun 9, 2014
Bolton, VT
I usually like longer approaches (less crowds) but Nautilus was awesome, and we saw nobody the 3 days there.....I loved Captain Nemo and Failure to Communicate, grades are pretty tough

By Buff Johnson