What is your definition of a climber?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By J Q
Me again!

Can anyone call themselves a climber? Do you need to have a certain proficiency to be called a climber? Do all climbers punt and chuff or do many people label themselves as a "climber" when in fact they are gaping nooblets? What is your definition?

By Unassigned User

climb”Per [ klĒ|mər ]
1.somebody who climbs mountains: somebody who climbs rocks or mountains as a sport

2.plant that clings: a plant that attaches itself to other plants or objects such as posts and walls as it grows

3.somebody advancing socially: somebody who steadily gains in rank or status, especially somebody who is unscrupulous and ambitious

Synonyms: mountaineer, rock climber, hiker, walker, rambler, backpacker.

I personally prefer to call myself a chuffer, sounds cooler.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Sep 14, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on

I only scramble...therefore I am a scrambler. I think climbing because you love climbing will keep you from ever truly giving a shite what labels others apply to themselves

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

I'm a person who enjoys climbing.

By kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Sep 14, 2012

Nice troll, Jonhy. Still getting off by bullying people, I see. Have fun with that.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO

Jim Donini

By kBobby
From Spokane, WA

Steve Williams wrote:
Jim Donini

By Unassigned User

chufftard wrote:
I climb 5.9 trad. Solid. I sometimes go to a sporto crag and toprope a 5.10. First lets define who climbers are not: anyone grade chasing, chipping, gluing, hangdogging, training, climbing in the gym unless it is raining.

Wow! I know a lot of dudes that were into the chipping and gluing crap awhile back. They are way more of climbers than I am. Those dudes are gnarly.

And some of the people that I see in the gym go on epic week long climbing trips, they are real climbers but climb in the gym way more than even me.

Hate on Haters

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Sure, I can belay

37 or more points on Moutain Project

By Goat
From Boulder
Unknown climb in The Needles

chufftard wrote:

Ahem... You're a boob.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan

I'm probably not a climber for responding to this, but really it's anyone that had the passion. No matter what discipline, experience, grade etc it's all about the love and drive.

Climbing is about passion and the love of the lifestyle.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Someone who doesn't have to ask this question.

By Senior Hernandez
Sep 16, 2012
on the trip

Someone who is not offended at this question.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Sep 16, 2012
tanuki

Some Catholic priests like to climb on little boys. Does that make them climbers?

By ParkerKempf
From atlanta, GA
Sep 16, 2012
sweet belay on El Cap Spire, Salathe Wall El Capitan

if it isn't at least a grade VI bigwall, it's all practice climbing

so most climbers are in fact "practice climbers"

duh

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Sep 16, 2012
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

Not this awful thread again... always leads to the ultimate question, are gym climbers climbers? Some sections on all climbing sites are like living in the movie Groundhog's Day.

By Nate C
From Madison, WI
Sep 18, 2012
Longs Peak looming

TomCaldwell wrote:

Sadly this is what all forums end up like. "Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."

By Greg D
From Here
Sep 18, 2012
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

I prefer to call myself a "clucker", a glimber that vacks.

Remember, it is better to be a glimber that vacks than a vacker that glimbs.

Clucking: www.collegehumor.com/video/3492577/clucking

By Dankasaurus
From Lyons, CO
Sep 18, 2012

The Douche of Hazard wrote:
Hate on Haters

Haters gon' hate, is that it? Deep, man.

In other news...

Chuffers gon' chuff.

Climbers gon' climb.

Poopers gon' poop.

Gapers gon' gape.

Titties gon' bounce.

etc...etc.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Sep 18, 2012

Jonhy Q wrote:
What is your definition?

Someone who's done more pitches than posting...

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Sep 18, 2012
Colonel Mustard

TomCaldwell wrote:

Recycled material for sure, covered before by better, but maybe paraphrased a little differently. But I guess we be hatin' if we don't pat the arrogant prick's little head and tell he done good, he done really good. Meh. Post. Logout.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Sep 18, 2012
rockerwaves

I posted this on "Da Tako" a couple of weeks back it seems to fit in this space as well.

Surfing v. Climbing... Complimentary Pursuits?

Olaf Mitchell said,

"IMHO: Climbing is the act of ascending rock,ice,plastic and any mix of terrain or techniques be it sport or trad on cracks (finger-off width),slab,big wall,free,aid,bouldering,indoor,steep waterfall ice,dry tooling,steep snow,and all the various grades and technical difficulties of each.

IMHO: Surfing is riding waves of any size or condition on any craft or vehicle including long board,short board,body board,body, sail board,kite board,tow-in,outrigger canoe,SUP,or kayak,even jet ski for that matter?"

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Sep 18, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

Kruger wrote:
Somebody who climbs rocks or ice on a regular basis.

Quite possibly the most profound, insightful, and sardonically humorous comment I've ever heard on the issue! Thank you for your contributions to this website!

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Sep 18, 2012
rockerwaves

Kruger wrote:
Somebody who climbs rocks or ice on a regular basis.

+ 1
Spot on m8

By J Q
Sep 20, 2012
Me again!

des
des

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Sep 20, 2012

Sorry you can't come up with an original thread discussion that elicits humorous replies. I think the only one that is "butt-hurt" is you, since you had to qualify your thread in your last reply. Thanks for contributing to the quality of mp.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>