What is this wall in San Bernardino mountains?

By Legion
Nov 9, 2010

Was driving thru town of Forest Falls and noticed this wall from the road. I believe the coordinates of the actual wall is (34.108399, -116.939153) Established climbs here? This pic is looking north from the road.

Near Forest Falls, CA in San Bernardino mountains. Established climbs?
Near Forest Falls, CA in San Bernardino mountains. Established climbs?

By Rough
Nov 10, 2010

Its near the Forest Falls turn off, and is a SUPER crazy sucky hike to get to, like 1-2 hour+ straight up hill no trail and that is power hiking with a light day pack. Its about 2 full pitches (3 sport pitches) tall. It is talked about in the last few pages of the Hidden Treasures guide under "Mt San Bernardino Crag".

If it were closer to the road it would be freaking awesome fun easy MP climbing, but with that hike and no one currently interested in cutting in a trail, it will remain something to look at from the road. I've been to the base and thought it was a cool way to spend the afternoon, but can't imagine trying to develop it considering the hike.

Though I told Louie on the phone one time the Quarry would be cool but too much work well before they started developing sport routes out there. Guess I was wrong on that one eh? :)

By ClimbingOn
Nov 10, 2010

I too have been to the base of that. The hike is absolutely terrible. It is loose, dirty, and the manzanita will cut you up. Allow several hours for the approach. Unfortunately I did not get to climb it, but it would be a fun objective. The Frustration Creek climbing area is right down the road from there.

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Nov 10, 2010
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.

Kenn Kanaga and Pat Brennan FA'ed a route up there. I believe it's called 'Where's Mr. San Bernardino' and goes at 5.8. Pat says it's a brutal approach. 4 hrs of steep trekking.

By Legion
Nov 15, 2010

Thanks all. Seems like there is a consensus based on the approach descriptions...

- SUPER crazy sucky hike to get to
- The hike is absolutely terrible.
- it's a brutal approach

Will put in the "potential mini-epic" category.

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
May 22, 2013
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s

It's about 3000 feet of elevation gain.

By TacoDelRio
From All up in yo bidniss.
Jun 5, 2013
We don't kick it with bustas in khaki g-strangs.

There are a couple more back in Mill Creek, if you feel like walking towards the base of the NF of Galena.