What is it about the forum that brings out mean comments from nice people?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Noah Doherty
From Nashua, NH
Apr 27, 2012

I know a lot of climbers, and none of them would be mean like that to people's faces.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro

In most cases, anonymity.

In my case, I'm not an overly nice person in real life either.

By Pepe
From Raleigh, North Carolina

BDMOP
BDMOP

But no really, what Ryan said.

By Larry S
Apr 27, 2012
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

"it's easier to be an asshole to words than to people" xkcd

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Apr 27, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

Some of us get sick of being nice to the numbskulls we see at the crag, so we passive aggressively slink home to type angrily at our keyboards.

Plus, threads full of harmony and good vibes are REALLY boring.

By Jeff Chrisler
From Boulder, CO
Apr 27, 2012

just shut up with your stupid posts! F you.

By Tom Grummon
From Golden, CO
Top of Montezuma's Tower

+1 for the XKCD comic.

Also +1 for amiable threads being boring.

By Noah Doherty
From Nashua, NH
Apr 27, 2012

The argument about strapping pads was funny.

By Noah Doherty
From Nashua, NH

So was the picture.

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Ooops...

It's not always anonymity, many post somewhat rude comments under their real names or names that are easily associated w their real names...

(There is a space for anonymity, I mean anonymous letters are a staple of society since ?...

Many people can better receive a message when they are not in a direct confrontation (especially in front of others)with the other person.)

Gratuitous rudeness (even by Internet standards)? Yes, that is just insecurity or lack of emotional stability.

Anyway, I have demonstrated my keen grasp of the obvious.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

nOObs, fakes,stupid people and trolls get us going usually. Endless supply of all 3 it seems.

By sthomas
Apr 27, 2012

I'm a fan of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory..

www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
bacon

└nomininmity? Huh??? Amoninimty! Ta da!!!! ;)

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
bacon

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

P.s. I like b00bs not n00bs! !!!!!!!! Yey!!!!! Climbing rocks!!!!!!!

By Joe Huggins
From Grand Junction
mmmm....tree

It's a good question. I think most of us get through the normal day with an accumulation of frustrations-either petty or significant. Cutting loose on some clueless jackass (or so we perceive them) lets us vent without the risk of serious repercussions. Hostility with safety...a magical elixir of spent animosity. That is, spent, if we're lucky. Usually it just escalates until we're seething, and finally, we have some sort of realization that we, ourselves, are acting like a brat. It's cathartic, in its' peculiar way.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Joe Huggins wrote:

+1 /;-) !! nothing like cutting loose on some (perceived) clueless jackass every now and then to make my day less stressful.

By APBT1976
Black Dike 12/25/11

IDK my excuse is i am from the north East. North eastener's are known for being up tight and on edge arn't we?

Add to that i am from the worst of the worst "Massachusetts" and you have my reason its in my freakin blood guy. They work us like dogs up here and the weather is always fucking with us even when its nice out.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 28, 2012

Divorce and the internet both show you what kind of jerk you are capable of being...

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Apr 28, 2012
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

Tony B wrote:

Awesome.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

2+3 = Cats!

totally

By ddriver
From SLC
Apr 28, 2012

OP can just fvcccccccck off, bringin that confronTATional bshat in here.

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
bacon

ddriver wrote:
OP can just fvcccccccck off, bringin that confronTATional bshat in here.

Ddriver freakin rocks!!!!! Dude!!!!! Not only is she hot she is HOOOTtttt!!!!

By Gilles
From Arcata,CA
Suicide Rock

What do I do when I reach the anchors?

By russelljus
From Park City, UT
Apr 28, 2012
Jack, super tired after a long day in southern utah.

Elena Sera Jose wrote:
Dude u r like the smartest guy I know! And very crafty too! I totally agree with you on the subject. Stupidity pisses me off too especially if people get all this ideas about things and all. Dude u rock lets climb I think we will get along just fine u and i are like the same person or something. Totally man! P.s. I like b00bs not n00bs! !!!!!!!! Yey!!!!! Climbing rocks!!!!!!!

Interesting...Possibly a man crush????

By russelljus
From Park City, UT
Apr 28, 2012
Jack, super tired after a long day in southern utah.

Basically i value life in general...I do not want to see anyone deck it at my local crag or wherever for that matter!!!

Learn your shit before you head outside, better you hear it here, than never at all. I myself have been subject to many "lashings" and verbal abuse regarding my systems. Take it as constructive criticism and move on with your bad self. I promise you , I do not make those mistakes anymore.

I think the climbing community is an overall very friendly community, however I think when people (climbers in general) see something/ and or hear something that might jeopardize someones overall safety; it might make them "tick/act" differently...almost in an aggressive (abnormal/mean) way.

Words of advice-learn to take it as constructive criticism.

PS. With this being said I still feel like it is unnecessary to come down on someone for a "stupid question" at least that person is asking the question, rather than assuming...which we all know can end with very bad results.

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Apr 28, 2012

Fuck all you motherfuckers.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>