What is going on with Wild Things?

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Oct 9, 2010
tanuki

For the last year or so Wild Things has had a note on their site that they are "preparing an entirely new line." What is going on with this. Their web site seems to be updated but they do not have any gear for sale. Anyone have any idea when / if they will have new stuff available? What was the cause for the unavailability of product?

By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Oct 10, 2010
Tour Ronde North Face

Wild Things has pretty much converted into a company that services the US armed forces.

I've found that if you call them up and ask very nicely, they will sometimes make stuff for climbers. It's no longer their main focus, however.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Oct 10, 2010
tanuki

Wow! Really?!? That's too bad. They used to make great packs and clothing for the climbing community.

By Devin Krevetski
From West Woodstock, VT
Oct 10, 2010

NC Rock Climber wrote:

I don't really blame them. I can't imagine the kind of slim margins they were running, manufacturing goods in the US that appeal to a very small market segment, for a price that would appeal to even fewer.

They stuck to their guns for a long time, and I'm sure the business is much more profitable with the US military contracts, so I can understand why they are shifting their focus. With our current rubric for successful business I am amazed they stuck it out as long as they did.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Oct 10, 2010
tanuki

devkrev wrote:
... With our current rubric for successful business I am amazed they stuck it out as long as they did.

Nice use of the word rubric!

Seriously, I hear what you are saying, but it still sucks. I wanted to get one of their belay jackets / windshirts. Looks like I will have to get another brand...

By Nathan Stokes
Oct 10, 2010

I was at their store in North Conway in May and they still had plenty of brand new outdoor gear. Give the retail store a call and see what you can find out. I'd love a pair of their guide pants but the way I abuse gear I can't justify the price.

By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Oct 12, 2010
Tour Ronde North Face

Call them.

As I said above, they will probably make/sell you a belay jacket if you call and ask.

By clemay
From Boulder, CO
Oct 12, 2010

Looks like they are revamping their clothing line.

www.wildthingsgear.com/blog/?p=1841

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Oct 12, 2010

Wow, I had no idea they made that change. Probably a really good gig given how big the military's budget is.

Thread drift, but there was just an article in the NY Times about how the military has decided to get 50% of its energy from renewable sources by 2020 and how that will likely have a big impact on the availability and cost of renewable energy for other users.

Great packs though. I'm on my second Ice Sac.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Oct 12, 2010
Bocan

clemay wrote:
Looks like they are revamping their clothing line. www.wildthingsgear.com/blog/?p=1841

wow...nice colors..NOT!

By john strand
From southern colo
Oct 12, 2010

Well it has been quite a while since John Bouchard has been with the company. I bet they will still make some climbing type gear.

Good stuff , I have been using it in one way or another since '82.

By chocodove
Oct 12, 2010

They are still in business and doing quite well. Just today I received an email with details on their new Alpinist jacket and word that the new fall consumer gear will be ready soon...and the outlet sale at their NH store is still going on right now I beleive. I think they were just busy with the military stuff.

They are on Facebook, twitter, etc...find them if you want updates.

By Josh Brown
Oct 13, 2010

Patagonia also manufactures what is called MARS which is a military specific clothing line. This is why some of the web deals they have are only clothes in that OD green color. If you go to diamondback tactical it always has several patagonia mars line clothes, all in the military color. You could also pick yourself up some hand grenade pouches while your ordering if your so inclined

By Chris90
From Unity, Maine
Oct 16, 2010

I recently stopped by Wild Things in NH. They were having a tent sale and getting rid of A TON of stuff! Many things were 70% off. It was sick. Talking to the manager there, she said that they were redesigning several of their pants and jackets. It seemed kinda like a "purge". They still had most of the regular things in the store.

By coryred797
From Yonkers, NY
Oct 16, 2010

Yeh, many if not all the big highend outdoor manufacturers have gsa accounts now. Back in 06 I got issued an Arcteryx pack and was like WTF holy crap this thing is beautiful! Now they discontinued the pack because fo the high cost, Berry compliancy made the packs almost 1200 each, now if soldiers want it it is strictly out of pocket although you can buy it non berry and I believe there only 400 -500 bux, but the limited number they made and issued were of some serious high quality and built to last. Two deployments and various personnel trips since ive been out and the thing looks brand new. It has all the bells and whistles too, quick release buckles to ditch the pack if needed, can be configured to fit any type of terrain or specific operation, you could access anything in the pack without opening the lid via side zip pockets and straps.

I know Mountain hardware, patagonia, granite gear, nemo, arcteryx, wild things, omega pacific, black diamond, petzl, merrill, 5.10, and yates all produce stuff for military, theres tons of others, but those are the ones I know of.

ever know what it feels like to reach for a cam and only to see that each one is identical, there all anodized black and olive with olive slings.....it sucks.

Arcteryx pack
Arcteryx pack

Arcteryx pack lid
Arcteryx pack lid

Arcteryx pack back
Arcteryx pack back

Some ice climbing pictures of ROK SF and US troops doing drills as part of a loaner program.

--- Invalid image id: 106926220 ---