What ever happened to JRAT?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Well?

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jun 29, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

It faded away in memory apparently. What is it again?

For that matter, has anyone heard from JT CRIP lately? Always see him with his homies at the tree.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

JRAT made some climbing gear in the 80's into the early 90's. I think they were Boulder based. Bet Hank knows. While on the subject of Hank see Name that Hooch thread for more about Hank.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

I still have my sport-doggy harness from them, circa1990.
Had a pair of manpri trousers too.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Delta Bravo wrote:
I still have my sport-doggy harness from them, circa1990. Had a pair of manpri trousers too.

I have a chalkbag but had the harness as well. My wife loves that chalkbag, all 80's pastels.

By crankenstein
Jun 29, 2012

I still have a harness from JRAT that Hank sewed for me when I first came to Boulder in 1991. He was working for them then so he would probably know what happened to them.

By Brian in SLC
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

Who?

T to the J
T to the J

By nbrown
From western NC
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

Better question: where did the name JRAT come from?

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

nbrown wrote:
I still have a few of their quick draws in the junk pile. Never liked the draws too much though. Better question: where did the name JRAT come from?

Good question, not better but different.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Yoda

Made these badboys!

Legends, Hueco Tanks
Legends, Hueco Tanks

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Same chalkbag I have. You probably made it as well. Had some similar tights they just were not JRAT.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jun 29, 2012

i believe he got that name in jail.

By Brian in SLC
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

nbrown wrote:
Better question: where did the name JRAT come from?

Pretty darn good hint in my photo tag...! Think, two guys who start a company...

By Thomas Willis
Jun 29, 2012

If I remember correctly, JRAT used the name "Ratagonia" in their advertisements.
This upset Patagonia who sicked their lawyers on them for name infringement. This may have at least partially led to the demise of the JRAT brand.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Thomas, I remember that but never really knew if it led to their demise.

By Thomas Willis

S. Price
They went out of business soon after the dust up with Patagonia - could have been coincidence though.

By David Houston
From Boulder, Colorado
J-Tree

www.canyoneeringusa.com/about/tom-jones/
I think JRAT stood for three names like John, Ray and Tom or something...Tom, who I knew as JRAT in the 80's in Boulder wound up in Utah via Black Diamond.

By Jim Amidon
J TREE

My gear sling is "JRAT" I've had it for oh....15 years.....

Still use it every time I trad climb

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Yoda

jrat!
jrat!

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

That's sweet Hank. I loved that t-shirt.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Yoda

When the Dead Heads invariably landed in Boulder during Red Rocks shows, we made a small fortune with those.

By Eric Engberg
Jun 29, 2012

I knew Tom back in Boston in the early 80's. He was always JRAT. Believe he is alive and kicking with BD.

By CJC

Jim Amidon wrote:
My gear sling is "JRAT" I've had it for oh....15 years..... Still use it every time I trad climb

got a couple too...also a snowboard bag and a weird cool jacket...probably a chalk bag or two. always tried to support them they were core boulder back in the good ol days.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

CJC wrote:
always tried to support them they were core boulder back in the good ol days.

Exactly.

By Keen Butterworth
From Boulder
Bouldering on Rabbit Mtn. Photo by Forrest Weller

Yeah, that is what they always called Tom, I never heard anyone call him Tom, just JRAT, except for maybe a roommate or two. When I first met him he was living with 7 other climbers on the hill. I believe he was living there, it was kind of hard to tell who was living there and who was just visiting. I remember spending a good deal of time there in the summer of 86 because there was a really dry spell in boulder and there was a bong there that seemed to produce an endless amount of resin. That was a really fun time to be in Boulder, during the JRAT days. Some of the old JRAT ads in the mags are quite classic to look at these days.

By Joe Huggins
From Grand Junction
mmmm....tree

Jrats' actual name is Nolan Thomas Jones Jr. He got the nickname Jrat because of his facial structure. I guess he sold the company around '89 or so... He was a roomate around '86. He's a good guy, a little too smart for most of us...

Hey Keen! Theo always called him Tom-the rest of us just said "hey..." or something. After he told us his real name, I started calling him Nolan.

And, yeah, the bong was prodigious.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>