what do you bring: single day multi-pitch food
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
In an attempt to simplify, break down my entire experience to maximize efficiency/multi-tasking and balance performance and enjoyment I am now concentrating on food.

If on a single day (soi back to camp at night) multi-pitch route(s) what do you bring to eat? Do you load up before heading to rock? Do you take the "less is more" approach and eat like a bird? Or do you bring plenty to eat?

Why do you take what you do? Is there a "system" (standard) that works well all the time (example: on every trip you pack the same thing: energy gels, bars, bag of peanuts in shells and water)? If so what is your standard food?

I want to find a balance between "less is more" and high performance. A multitasking (or multiple multitasking) food, one that gives energy, isn't greasy, maybe has electrolytes (salt, sugar, etc), protein and anything else ideal for top performance.

I usually bring bars and energy gels (not a food) and sometimes tuna packets. I think there is much room for improvement for me.

Thank you all for your time. Enjoy!

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
To add to the type of food I'm looking for ideas for: I want it to keep me filled up for a while, filling and yet be packable/lightweight. Thank you!

By Steve M
From MN
Mar 18, 2013
Gas station burrito, the kind that's refrigerated and you can put in their microwave. Just put it in your backpack instead, when its time to eat you'll love it. Stick with bean burritos though, the'meat' they slip into those things is super sketch.

By Jonathan Spencer
From Ballard, WV
Vanessa and I at Jackson Falls in Southern Illinois
check out Tasty Bites. It's a pack of indian food that needs no refrigeration, has no preservatives, is pretty healthy and surprisingly good. I just discovered them recently and it was a great treat to have 6 pitches up.

By Dustin Drake
Mar 18, 2013
I eat a big breakfast (1000+ calories) along with a 32 oz sports drink before starting the day. I bring two peanut butter and honey sandwiches and 3 or 4 nature valley protein bars (almond butter ones are the best!). It's about 1000 calories. Beef jerky, bagels, snickers bars are also good! More than enough to keep you going for the day and doesn't take up much space.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on
Table Talk pies. 1 dollar for 400 something calories!

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
vertebrae roof
If too hot for melty chocolate, payday or salted nut rolls work too. Caffeine pills for the descent....

By Mattberr
From utah
uintas
Honey stinger waffles are always with me on long multi pitch days. Also granola and usually an apple.

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Mt. Agassiz
A combination of salami, nuts, cheese, or dried fruit depending on the length of the climb. Peter Croft has a good passage about eating in his book, The Good, the Great, and the Awesome: As much as possible, try to bring normal food. By that, I mean stay as close as possible to the type of food you would eat at home. The stress of a different diet when added to the stress of altitude and burly exercise cause a lot of people to shut down."

He then goes on to talk about how GORP is candy, not energy, and that burgers look funky when stored in a pack for a couple days.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
Thanks for the rplys so far. I like knowing what others bring/do.

Ryan Nevius: I love that you brought Croft up. His "less is more" approach to multipitch/alpine is phenomenal! in his lightweight alpine climbing book he talks about how less, nongreasy, healthy food can be MORE than a lot of high calorie food. He mentions he noticed this in his energy levels. Cool stuff. Thanks.

By Detrick Snyder
From Boulder, CO
Mar 18, 2013
Homemade granola-power bars with: PB, granola, protein powder, dark chocolate, various seeds, nuts, & fruits (cashews, sunflower, soy nuts, chia seeds, craisins, etc.), and added sugar.

OR homemade Lembas flatbread with: Chia, Hemp, Flax, Quinoa flour, Amaranth flour, Rice flour, Spelt, Sourdough starter + yeast, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, added salt, and filled/topped with cheese or vegetables.

Bot are rich in nutrients, antioxidants, all the amino-acids and proteins one needs, LOTs of calories, and very inexpensive since they're made at home. I keep a stock of each in the freezer and take whichever I prefer - salty or sweet - climbing with me.

By MTKirk
From Billings, MT
Me on Supercrack
I eat Cliff bars while climbing (usually around 4) They're cheap if I buy them by the case at Costco, been eating them for a while & know they won't cause me Intestinal distress. I like them just enough to eat them when I need too, but won't eat them back at camp if there is any alternative (thus ensuring I won't blow through my supply on a late night carb binge). Sometimes I'll bring an apple as a treat, and a ounce or two of dark chocolate (for the sugar & caffeine kick).

By Alex Washburne
Mar 18, 2013
I eat crack for breakfast.
maltodextrin goo shots. If it's just a single day, I'm not trying to stave off starvation... I'm trying to stave off hypoglycemia, hyponatremia, and dehydration. Eat a good breakfast (lots of carbs), and then carry some goo shots with some water and you'll be fast & light.

No protein (it takes too long to absorb and certainly doesn't rebuild your body on the fly) and no fat (takes a while to absorb, and you... *ahem*, I, have plenty to burn for the day anyways). Just plain old complex-carbohydrates, salts, and water to fuel the fire throughout the day. Perhaps have a cliff bar or fatty food as an emergency ration, but really think of long, single-day, multi-pitch routes as like a marathon, and note that you don't see people eating cliff bars or breakfast burritos on marathons.

Craig Connally's book, "The Mountaineering Handbook", advocates this approach to backcountry nutrition for single day trips, and goes into more detail for multi-day and expedition trips. That book is an all-around excellent resource for all things (and about 1/3 the length of The Bible - Freedom of the Hills). Check it out! That's where I learned this trick, and so much more, and it's done wonders at my ability to make good time on multi-pitch routes.

By Pitty
From Marbach
My cool Elly....
Cashew Nuts...... lightweight and lots of calories no sugar.....

By bearbreeder
Gummay beahs ...

By Superclimber
Mar 18, 2013
Usually a Cliff Bar, Shot Blocks, and/or Jolly Ranchers. Occasionally a bagel, Velveeta and summer sausage sandwich. Maybe not the healthiest but it's easy and I don't have to think much about it.

By todd w
Mar 18, 2013
Pack a gas station burrito and move on with your life.

This is not rocket science, it's lunch.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
On the contrary todd. What I eat is very important. If I ever want to fill my potential then paying attention to what I eat matters. As someone who has been at the "professional"/collegiate level in both soccer and triathlons throughout my life i have experienced both times of healthy/balanced eating and times of eating like shit/partying. I feel and always perform better when I am eating balanced/healthy.

I like knowing what others eat. I appreciate all relpys.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Mar 18, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.
I eat a massive breakfast (if leaving from home, an omelette, if leaving from a bevy, then oatmeal, a cliff bar and a bagel) and then I the route I chaw on grizzly winter green long cut tobacco at the belays, it controls my appetite quite well.

By robrobrobrob
Mar 18, 2013
Peanut butter, honey, granola, banana, on toast sandwiches... Smooshed and put into the space at the top of my helmet. Or some variation.

With lots of water.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Mar 18, 2013
Peanut butter and Nutella, couple 2-3 of those'll set you right.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on
willeslinger wrote:

I like your style

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Mar 18, 2013
Big breakfast, a couple chewy bars in my pockets for the climb, big dinner. I hate carrying packs, so a quart of water and a couple of bars is all i'm willing to carry most of the time. Climb fast!

By Jim Titt
From Germany
Mar 18, 2013
Oh dear, I just take a bread roll (cheese or salami/ham).
Ive a suspicion this isnt "A multitasking (or multiple multitasking) food, one that gives energy, isn't greasy, maybe has electrolytes (salt, sugar, etc), protein and anything else ideal for top performance."
Ive always got 20lbs of fat in reserve though in case the going gets tough.

By Mike McKinnon
From Golden, CO
Bunny pancake
John Wilder wrote:

Same here. Are we talking a diamond day (12+ hours of constant moving) or just a day of cragging.

If it is just a day of cragging, not much. Water and a couple of bars. With a big breakfast.

Diamond day is big breakfast, watered down gatorade, trail mix, and goos and perhaps an Arts Bar or 2.

I dont like carrying a lot of food. Just enough to get me back.

By Ian Stewart