What are you thankful for?

By Paolo Speirn
From Santa Fe, NM
Nov 22, 2012
topping out Out to Lunch" in the Sandias

Off the top of my head:

- route developers. Most climbers, myself included, likely won't ever drill a single bolt. Much gratitude to the people with the vision, passion, and charity (dem bolts is expensive!) to put up the routes I enjoy so much.

- the coalition that gives Indian Creek its infrastructure. My ten days there this month would've been a lot less enjoyable without a toilet....

- geology, which is awesome.

What are you thankful for?

By Simon Thompson
From New Paltz, NY
Nov 22, 2012

I am thankful for: Mountain Project and the people who work to make it happen, guidebook authors, rock that dries quickly after a rain, partners who know their shit and also have a sense of humor, a girlfriend who stays with me when I devote almost all of my free time to climbing, and for living in a state that allows climbing year-round(almost.)

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Nov 22, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on

Bewbs...climbing...good friends...smokin' hot girlfriend (see number 1)...good books...nature...cheap beer!

By Bill Sacks
From Sacramento, CA
Nov 22, 2012
Chapel Pond

My climbing partner who introduced me to the sport last year. Sticky rubber and reliable protection. The Adirondacks. Gore-tex, down, and primaloft.

By A.Javi.Gecko
From San Diego, CA
Nov 22, 2012
V3, Castle Hill, NZ

This past week of 50 degree weather at Rumney

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Nov 22, 2012
blah

Aliens, nylon, dynema, wingate sandstone, Navajo sandstone, Zion, ladies who crank, new bolts, great friends who crank, sweet boulders, offset nuts, wired bliss, family who wants you to keep doing what your doing.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 22, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

The mountains, all the cops, firefighters, ems providers, hospital providers giving up their holiday.

By Jeff Ludwig
From phoenix, Az
Nov 23, 2012

I am thankful for my wife, Julie and stepson Chance. And our family.

By Simon Thompson
From New Paltz, NY
Nov 23, 2012

Jeff Ludwig wrote:
I am thankful for my wife, Julie and stepson Chance. And our family. Also for the freedom to be able to move around on rocks and also the soldiers of the American military. And yes, the paramedics who have to be away from their families on holidays, as I myself have had to do more than once.

My brother is graduating from Paramedic school in 6 months and he just joined the NAVY!

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 23, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Very cool Simon. Good luck to him!!!

By BJ Sbarra
From Carbondale, CO
Nov 23, 2012
el guapo

God, family, friends, hand jams, jugs, knee bars, bolts, desert sunsets, alpine sunrises, trying hard, whippers, the process, steep routes, splitters, ice climbs, mountains, everything else, and the opportunity to enjoy it all.

By David Barbour
From Longmont, CO
Nov 23, 2012

1. good friends and family

2. climbing, coffee, and beer, in no particular order

By Peter Stokes
From Them Thar Hills
Nov 23, 2012
Wall Street, Moab, UT

I'm thankful for my friends, my family, my wonderful sweetheart of 14 years, the beautiful place I live and climb in, my health, my freedom and those who made it possible, on so many levels in so many ways. May God continue to bless all of you.

By TBlom
Nov 23, 2012

Grateful that in 1 month I will graduate and NEVER go back to school again in my life. Effing always hated school, somehow I am getting a master's degree in geology... Now the real pipe dream, getting a job.

And my girlfriend for putting up with me through: grad school, my house burning down, foot surgery, going crazy over all the above. Took a strong woman to stand by me through all that crap and me dealing with it.

And my dog, for hanging with me and keeping me company when my girlfriend is away.

And for a tiny bit of common sense. I quit drinking 10 years ago, pretty sure I would be sleeping in a curb somewhere otherwise.

Edit: And for muscle memory, thank you muscle memory for hauling my fat arse up the rock when I am out of shape.