West Slabs Winter Conditions?

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Mar 2, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life

I'm planning on heading up the West Slabs this week. Anyone done it in the winter before? Know what I should expect? I'm heading up with snowshoes, crampons, and ice tools. Does enough ice form to make the tools helpful or will I just be carting around extra weight? Anyone want to join me? I'm planning on soloing it but would happily simul-solo or even rope up if anyone didn't feel comfortable.

By Courtney Pace
Mar 5, 2013

Here is a link to some people that did it and they move pretty quick in the mountains. 8 hrs. Seems pretty bold to solo it in winter.

slc-samurai.blogspot.com/2011/11/mt-olympus-west-slabs-alpin>>>

By bay
Mar 6, 2013

look, if you low dagger (piolet panne) solo up the slab and "foot-ski" down the Apollo Coulior (ala Jared C)...

fast forward to 5:46 -> 7:36

...you could easily send the west slabs in well under 8hrs..

head's up: it's a scretchy time of year to be swappin' leads up that gun-barrel. spring avies are queuin'/rampin' up per UAC Wasangles Obs

move fast, have fun.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Mar 6, 2013

I climbed it years ago in winter conditions over T-Day. Probably the last time I have fallen on 5.5 climbing. It was veri-glass and I was not wear crampons so I guess I have some excuse. I think the biggest issue is that you are climbing snow/ice covered slabs which can be problematic. That is one can skate off pretty easily with a misstep. Which is what happened to me - but I was roped up and landed on a ledge in the snow. If roped there are enough trees to catch a fall. Soloing would add an interesting dimension as one is going to be moving from snow to ice to rock. Though right now I would suspect that it is mostly snow.

Also as mentioned, things are warming up so the face and couloir are prime for sliding.

By notmyname
From Stony Brook, NY
Mar 6, 2013

i was expecting to read the follow-up on this in the paper!

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Mar 6, 2013

notmyname wrote:
i was expecting to read the follow-up on this in the paper!

Let nope not. I went up the Reese Couloir after a hiker fell down it and the face above. It was was rather grim and something that I prefer not have repeated by myself or others.