Washington climbing in Dec

By Scott Chapman
Dec 5, 2012

Hey y'all, I'm from Texas but will be in WA around Arlington area for two weeks this Dec, and I've got to climb but I need advice. I don't know anything about WA climbing accept that I'm probably better off climbing ice this time of year right? I guess I don't even know that. Anyways, I have no ice experience but plenty of rock experience. Any advice on where and what to climb? I don't really want to crag. I want an adventure. Or advice on where to get ahold of some ice climbing gear and where to take it for a first go. Cheers,

By Portwood
From Your moms house last night
Dec 5, 2012
Me

-The north face of the north peak of mt. Index. It is a conditions dependant climb.
-The North face of Mt. Hood
-Schuckson (i dont know what the road will be like) with skis would be best.
-The eairly winter spires if the road is open
-durry falls in tumwater canyon
-dragon tail peak, tripple couliors (fun adventure)
-colchuck peak, north buttress couloir
-mt stuart, sevaral options
-Chair peak,north face or east face (popular)

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Dec 5, 2012
Slope on a rope

Vantage catches some great days, I was there last Saturday climbing with only a t-shirt most of the day

By Eric Fjellanger
Dec 5, 2012
Me on top of Chianti Spire

The best climbing in Washington in December is skiing.

Ice climbing season in Washington is fleeting at best. It is warm here. When you show up we might be in a cold period, and you could climb ice in the Alpental valley, Leavenworth, Vantage, or Bank's Lake. But if it's been warm, there won't be any ice. It hasn't been cold enough for any ice to form this year. Last year we didn't have much of an ice season at all.

Washington is just a difficult place to ice climb, especially so if you've never done it before. Alpental Valley ice is really the easiest access, it just requires colder temps than we've had so far.

If you want to climb rock, Vantage is really the only opportunity.

If you're looking for an alpine climb, the Tooth in winter (up the Alpental valley) is a pretty fun little jaunt. Chair Peak is in this neighborhood and could form up this month.

You also might think about going down to the Tatoosh range just outside of Paradise in Mount Rainier National Park. There are a bunch of peaks there, look at Castle, Pinnacle, and Lane Peak if you want something with some rock and snow/alpine ice.

I can't imagine Drury will form in December with the weather we've had so far.

Highway 20 is closed so Washington Pass/Early Winter Spires is not a good option.

Triple Couloirs on Dragontail won't be in good shape, but the NBC on Colchuck might be possible.

Eldorado might be a good option, I think it's likely the road will still allow reasonable access.

There is no predicting what the weather will be like, so don't get fixated on any particular plans.

By mcarizona
From Flag
Dec 5, 2012

Come on Eric! I like to keep people out of my crags too just because I get sketchy around crowds.

OP might want to just settle into the culture a little and drink some good beer. Then head out to Marymore park for a couple damp sessions of sport clipping or soloing. Anacortes has some sun even in the winter too. I like Vantage though for winter warmth and craggin (you can even find some gear routes!).

Steve

By Scott Chapman
Dec 5, 2012

thanks, this is helpful. I'll see what kind of trouble I can get into.

By frankstoneline
Dec 5, 2012

If you are looking to climb loads of decent 5.10 pitches, Vantage is your spot. If it's raining or you don't want to drive the 2 and a half hours, seattle has a wealth of good gyms you could check out. Obviously not the most ideal scenario, but as has been outlined, ice is hit and miss at best and the good cragging is quite wet at the moment. If you get a window sometimes leavenworth boulders are doable in the winter though.