Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Washed rope doesn't handle smoothly anymore

By Tavis
From ca
Sep 12, 2012

So I washed my rope and now its pretty clean but the sheath doesn't feel smooth anymore and it doesn't feed through devices like it did before. Does anybody know of a coating or rope soap to get that "new rope smooth handling" feel back ?

By Ryan-Nelson
From Fort Collins, CO
NCCC

Your screwed man. The more you wash it the more fuzzy the rope gets.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Sep 12, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Pretty much. I've never washed a rope and don't plan to. Everyone I know that has washed ropes had this same problem afterward. To me, having the anodization or aluminum dust shit on your hands is worth it if it means your sheath stays relatively smooth for a little longer. To each his own.

I don't know of any products that will un-fuzz your sheath. Sorry.

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Sep 12, 2012
Racking too much gear, as usual.

Use fabric softener when you wash the rope.

By bearbreeder
Sep 12, 2012

all ropes will fuzz up the more you use it ... which is why i never bother getting those slick dry treatments for climbing normal rock ... and why i get a beater rope saving my better ropes for where it matters ...

By Joe Virtanen
From Asheville, NC
Pit BBQ

Perin Blanchard wrote:
Use fabric softener when you wash the rope.

Don't know if that's a good idea.

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=>>>

Downy seems to have a pH of ~3. In other words, it's fairly acidic.

Not sure about other softeners, though.

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Sep 12, 2012
Racking too much gear, as usual.

Joe Virtanen wrote:
Don't know if that's a good idea.

New England Ropes thinks it's a good idea.

Google "climbing ropes fabric softener" (sans quotes) and you'll find sufficient information to make up your mind one way or the other.

By Robert Cort

Joe Virtanen wrote:
Downy seems to have a pH of ~3. In other words, it's fairly acidic.

Yeah, don't use it full strength. A capful in a washer full of water isn't gonna change the wash water pH much.

By Steve Colegrove
From Marietta, GA
Sep 12, 2012

The roughness will probably ease up once you start using it again.

By J Q
Me again!

If you are washing your rope you are not falling enough.

Lesson learned, don't wash your rope.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Jake Jones wrote:
I don't know of any products that will un-fuzz your sheath. Sorry.

Blahaha

Seriously though. Don't wash your rope. Take up ice climbing, that'll clean it just fine.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Sep 12, 2012

You can treat the rope with an aftermarket waterproofing agent. Nikwax makes such a product. That would decrease the surface friction of the rope and allow it to regain part of its original smooth handling, but the stuff is kind of expensive, I would just save the money and apply it towards a new rope when the time comes.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

I prefer going to happy hour over washing ropes.

By Richard88
From Sheridan, WY
piney creek canyon

I've never washed a rope and aside from unseen circumstances I don't plan to

By Joe Virtanen
From Asheville, NC
Pit BBQ

Thanks for link Perin, seems I'm wrong to assume that it would damage the thread.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Sep 13, 2012
Cleo's Needle

How does getting a rope wet make it fuzzy?

I washed a rope last week, no fuzz. Just put it in a queen sized sheet, tie the corners, and toss it in the machine. A small amount of detergent and it is clean.

By jbird
Sep 13, 2012

I washed a sterling evolution velocity 9.8 and I actually think it handles a little better than it did while it was dirty. I daisy chained the rope, put it in a large mesh bag, used a little bit of woolite in a front loader washer, washed it in cold water, and let it dry flaked out inside for about five days.

I have heard the sheath on sterling ropes are tough so I'm not sure if that had an effect on my results.

By John Husky
Sep 14, 2012

I don't have time is a shit excuse.

By Steve Colegrove
From Marietta, GA
Sep 16, 2012

John Husky wrote:
Wash a rope by hand in the tub and cringe in horror at the color of the water when you're done. Spin cycle only in a machine for me. I don't have time is a shit excuse.

I did that once. I spent 20 minutes washing the rope and 40 minutes washing the tub. Total PITA.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Sep 16, 2012

you could get an over the counter dry treatment and wash it in. That will enhance "handling" properties

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Sep 17, 2012
...

Tub washing is the ticket to ride IMHO...

But like others, I pretty much DON'T wash my ropes either...

Accidentally left my rope with a partner and when we got together the next time he handed it to me and I immediately knew (by feel) that it had been washed. Dude took it upoin himself (Without my knowledge) to wash my fuking rope. Needless to say I got a little PISSED and let him know that I prefer NOT to wash my ropes.

Who gives a fuk if a little aluminum dust and or dirt get's on you. What the fuk? Is "OCD" the new IN thing in climbing?

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Sep 17, 2012

Ray Pinpillage wrote:
A small amount of detergent and it is clean.

Rope manufacturers all recommend you dont use any actual detergent when washing a rope. Use something like Woolite if you must, but Sterling's Rope Wash is the preferred stuff.