warm climbing for Feb

By Mike Lydon
From park city, utah
Jan 29, 2014

I've traveled to many different climbing areas over the years for winter limestone including Thailand and Kalymnos. Anyone have suggestions for cheapish, warm limestone/sport climbing in the western hemisphere? Got a couple weeks in Feb off and can travel anywhere (airline employee), but with only a week, it'd be better to stay in a close timezone.

EPC mexico? Caymon Brac? South america somewhere? kinda racking my brains here, but havent heard or read of any kalymnos type areas on this side of the world. Suggestions?

Mike

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Jan 31, 2014
Trying to redpoint The Ugly 11c; steeper than it looks and the rock is scary in spots but good enough.

Hi Mike, I'd head to Mexico City. Lots to climb nearby: Jilotepec cobblestone sport with easy access. Las Manzanas is sport cragging on great andesite. Of course, El Chonta's massive tufa-lined cave is a couple of hours away.

By TBrumme
From denver, co
Jan 31, 2014

Red Rock canyon is warm if you're in the sun. No limestone, but plenty of sport.

By Joe Forrester
From Ft. Collins, CO
Jan 31, 2014

Was in the Brac over New Years. Phenomenal place, and definitely do-able for a week. Couldn't say enough good things about it. Make sure to contact John Byrnes for updated beta. Happy to provide you additional info as well if you are interested.
-Joe

By donWolf Konecny
From N Oakland, Ca
Feb 7, 2014

what areas in mexico have budget accomodation and walking to the crag and stuff? i was to EPC and that was great and want something like that. Is Jilotepec like that? how about El Chonta?

I wouldn't want to rent a pricy house, or have to rent a car to get around.

By donWolf Konecny
From N Oakland, Ca
Feb 7, 2014

What are the lowest accommodation rates in Kalymnos? And what's the closest airport?

By Alex Whitman
Feb 7, 2014
Luxury Liner, Indian Creek

Mike, I as well work for an airline. I have been looking for fellow climbers with flight benefits. I live in Chattanooga and must say the climbing here is pretty great this time of year if the rain stays at bay.

I recently went to Chile for about two weeks and had a great time. Getting to Chile is way easy. All the flights leave at 8-11pm, the flight is 8 hours and only a two hour time change from the east coast. So you get on the plane, fall asleep, and wake up in the morning with next to no jetlag; very far from home.

Santiago wasn't all that interesting but flying ZED on LAN was great. I had confirmed seats for $35 so getting to the rest of the country is easy. I would say Brazil or Argentina (I really want to check out Frey) would also be good options but Brazil must be HOT right now. I would say head south. It was so nice to have a little slice of summer in my life.

Or if Chattanooga interests you let me know and perhaps we could arrange something. I could at least give you some good beta.

By hanshan
From Canada Mofuga
Feb 7, 2014

Sounds like Cuba is what you're looking for!

By Mike Lydon
From park city, utah
Feb 7, 2014

EPC would be great, except for the murderers, I'll have my 12 yo son as a partner, I'd go on my own, but with him, nah.

Frey looks to be a little more alpine than I want, looking for a beach bar I can belay from like in Rai Lei!

Kalymnos is cheap, you can find accomodations on airBnB or homeaway.com. The airport is on the island or fly to Kos and take the ferry. A scooter helps, but there is climbing within walking distance of the town (cant remember the name).

Looks like we'll prolly head south to Arizona via car and camp, bike, and climb where it strikes us, zion, vegas, sedona, and/or prescott.

We also may go to brac for the kids spring break in April as my wife said in no uncertain terms I was not to go to the beach without her....

Too bad about EPC, thats probably the type of place I'm looking for, except for the dead bodies of course.

By jedeye
Feb 19, 2014

What about Puerto Rico, or the freshest Caribbean limestone spot, Eleuthera?

By Ed Wright
Mar 9, 2014
Magic Ed

Mike, no dead bodies in Potrero Chico. Everything here is tranquilo.

Lots of climbers bring their kids here. I could put you in touch with some of them if you like.