Wanted: Old Rope for Traversing River at Sport Park (Boulder Canyon)

By Matteo Crismani
Jul 2, 2014
Hi all, I went recently to the Sport Park in Boulder Canyon and found that both of the old access points, the log and the rope to traverse the river are gone! If anyone is interested in donating an old rope to a good cause, I'd like to get this rope up across the river for those who aren't fully comfortable crossing unaided. I live in Boulder and would be willing to meet you for it. Thanks for your time.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Jul 2, 2014
Bocan
The tag line wasn't there last summer / June either.

By Matteo Crismani
Jul 2, 2014
Doze hooked it up with a rope, and I'll set it up later this week.

By L G
From Boulder, CO
Jul 5, 2014
Med, 2011.
Is the trail handline up yet? I have a used 30m 9.8 I'd be willing to contribute.

By Hardy Fulgham
From Boulder, CO
Jul 5, 2014
Golden Gate Canyon State Park
We were there yesterday morning (7/4) and the hand-line isn't up either. There is a huge log crossing several hundred yards downstream, but not everyone will know to seek that out...Let me know if anyone needs help with putting rope across.

By Rich Farnham
Jul 5, 2014
I was thinking about just putting in a tyrol next year. DOT recently cleaned out the two trees that were nearby, making for an easy dry crossing. Wading is fine, but hasn't been viable for the last two months. It's doable now, but the water is still pretty high, and quite cold.

There is a tree farther down stream, near the next turnout on the north side of the road. Expect to get your feet wet on the hike upstream from there. It goes through a swampy area, which is why this isn't the best long term solution. I'd throw a tyrol up now, but the creek level is dropping fast enough that in a few weeks it won't be needed. That would be a waste of rope, since it would just sit out in the sun for the next year until it was needed again.

By Nick Ducker
Jul 5, 2014
Joyama Sport-multi, Izu Peninsula, Japan
Matteo and I are planning to throw up the hand-line today, will update everyone when we get it done/fail miserably.

By Nick Ducker
Jul 5, 2014
Joyama Sport-multi, Izu Peninsula, Japan
We put the hand-line up this afternoon. At the moment I would suggest bringing a change of pants to do the "creek" crossing, the water is easily crotch high and the current still strong (or maybe I'm just good at finding the potholes).

The line is a bit of old climbing rope (dynamic) so if anybody has any static line lying around that they don't mind sacrificing for the greater good feel free to replace what we've put up. Also if you feel like improving our knots on the tree side, feel free to do so.

Happy crossings!

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Jul 6, 2014
Bocan
Thanks Nick, appreciate the hard work.

By Matt Pierce
From Denver, CO
Jul 7, 2014
View from the first belay ledge on The Staircase (5.5)
Thanks Nick!