Wallface/ADK High Peaks Conditions

By M. Lane
From Somerville, NJ
Jul 1, 2014
All smiles after diving through the squeeze on wolf's head following the Skywalk pitch

I'm planning a backcountry climbing trip this weekend to the Dacks and interested in climbing The Diagonal on Wallface. Has anyone been up there within the past few weeks? How are the black flies?

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Jul 1, 2014
Rumney

Fwiw, black fly conditions can change a lot over the course of a few days. So even if someone where up there this past weekend, things could be different by time you get there. Take any feedback you get about yesterday with a grain of salt.

The black flies are out in the high peaks. Not as bad as I've seen. But you have to prepare for them either way (100% deet, headnet). This is the peak season for black flies in the ADK High Peaks.

My only trip into Wallface they were horrible, it was July 4 weekend a couple years ago. AM there were few, but by the evening they were the worse I've ever experienced anywhere. YMMV

By Greg Kuchyt
Jul 1, 2014
Greenhorn - Solar Collector Wall - RRG, KY

www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7870.html

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Jul 1, 2014
Rumney

Greg Kuchyt wrote:

Awesome info Greg! :)

By Tom Sherman
From Bristol, RI
Jul 1, 2014
John Sherman

That's funny about Black Flies Kevin, my only trip into Wallaface (camping at ponds but hiked to base of cliffs) July 1st-6th 2012 not only were there no blackflies but don't think I used bug spray all week.

By M. Lane
From Somerville, NJ
Jul 1, 2014

Greg Kuchyt wrote:
Technically the Diagnol area is closed due to falcons. I spoke with someone at the end of May who works with the DEC and they were supposed to send a field tech out to try and figure out where the aerie was but haven't heard anything else about it. See below. www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7870.html Enforcement is probably near impossible without dedicated human resources but the birds are probably the more serious of consequences if they take exception to your presence. They are also the ones who will ultimately suffer if they are spooked. I would encourage you to wait until the closure is lifted. As for bugs in the High Peaks, it depends on some different factors but expect them to be heavy. In avalanche pass a few weeks ago they were thriving.

Thanks for the info Greg. I'm not trying to get dive-bombed by falcons anyway. Wallface has been on my mind for a while, but I suppose it will be worth my while to curb my eagerness until the Fall when conditions are prime. As for the flies, it seems hit or miss. For sure, I'd go prepared with headnet and DEET.

As a backup plan, I'd like to take a hike out to Gothics and get on some multi-pitch slabs there. Any input on the top routes at Gothics for a 5.9 trad/5.11 sport climber?? I'm always up for a 5.5 slab romp, too.

By Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Jul 1, 2014
Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenstein Amphitheater

Black flies have been almost zero lately. King Phillips Spring, Deadwater, Chapel Pond, Beer Walls, Poko, Cascade Pass, Eastern High Peaks trails. I haven't been showering much.. only swimming in Lake George after the days over. Maybe flies are attracted to the perfume smell of soap?

Regular route on Chapel Pond Slab is 5.5. We let some guys (who were super cool) pass us who soloing last week.

By Luc
From Montreal
Jul 1, 2014
The El

Black flies were biting at the Beer Walls last weekend but I've seen worse. Killed a couple deer flies too (you should see the welt on my partner).

By M. Lane
From Somerville, NJ
Jul 1, 2014

Bill Kirby wrote:

I like your style Bill

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Jul 2, 2014
Rumney

Tom Sherman wrote:

Exactly my point! :)

Bill, I'm sure now I've recently climbed downwind of you. Or there was a dead bear in the woods somewhere nearby.

By Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Jul 2, 2014
Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenstein Amphitheater

Kevin, must have been a bear though I'm big amd hairy too. The stink freezes right off you when swim until your legs go numb!

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Jul 4, 2014
Rumney

Bill Kirby wrote:
The stink freezes right off you when swim until your legs go numb!

And of course, shrinkage...