"Wall style" routes in the Black

By Keith Earley
From Boulder, Colorado
Oct 18, 2012
Unknown at Golden Cliffs

A friend and I are training for El Cap in a month or so, and are thinking of training by doing a route in the Black. I can free 5.9, but I would rather work on my aid systems and maybe spend a night on the wall, instead of just doing the casual route . The black isn't exactly famous for completely solid rock, so I was wondering if there were any good routes with solid continuous crack systems(C2 max) for aiding. A bivy ledge would be an extra plus.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Oct 18, 2012

Keith wrote:
A friend and I are training for El Cap..and are thinking of training by doing a route in the Black

Ummm?

Keith wrote:

Zion.

By Bob Dobalina
Oct 18, 2012

I would use Yosemite for training to climb in the Black!

Go to Zion for a real wall experience (just don't bugger-up a busy trade route) or just clean-aid a multipitch free climbing route for practicing your systems and movement.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Oct 18, 2012
rockerwaves

I would use Yosemite for training to climb in the Black!
Plus One!

By Keith Earley
From Boulder, Colorado
Oct 18, 2012
Unknown at Golden Cliffs

Thanks guys. We have been practicing on country club a bunch to work our systems. just wondering if there were any exceptions to the rule in the black, which it seems there aren't. Zion is the back up in case the conditions in Yosemite are crappy.

By Goodhue
From Boulder, CO
Oct 18, 2012

Aid the Naked Edge. Preferably on a Saturday.

By Goodhue
From Boulder, CO
Oct 18, 2012

On a more helpful note:

www.mountainproject.com/v/firebird/105761520

I haven't done this route, but the description seems like it would make a good one-day aid route. Something bigger than Country Club but not quite a two-day wall.

By kuusk
Oct 19, 2012

Goodhue wrote:
Aid the Naked Edge. Preferably on a Saturday.

You're a tool. I bet you look like a hippy.