Vote on the Best V1-V4 in the Northeast

By Joe M.
Jun 16, 2014

Finally got the voting setup for V1 to V4. Still working on the upper grades...

www.newenglandbouldering.com/best-boulder-problems/

Let me know if you have comments or suggestions. Thanks.

By Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
Jun 16, 2014
NH

I wish we could write in our own choices.
V2 P-way EZ Cheese
V3 P-way Cause for commotion

just my two cents!

By Joe M.
Jun 16, 2014

I took nominations from many different sources, sorry yours didn't make it in. I thought about having write-ins but decided it would just water down the voting. I'm still taking nominations on V5 and up though....

By eddysamson
Jun 16, 2014

Man it was hard to choose a V3! Firestarter, Great Roof of China, and Primate are all AWESOME! I haven't been on many of the 4's so that was a bit easier.

Also do you really think its a good idea to allow 1 vote per day? Then you will get people up voting their own submissions every day when other people maybe come in vote once and never come back. Seems like it would really skew the results.

By Joe M.
Jun 16, 2014

Yeah man, V3 is very close in the voting right now...

Hope the vote per day won't be a problem. I can track the results and see if it is being skewed at all.

By andyelliott
Jun 16, 2014
amarillo sunset

i wish we could see the current results right after voting

By Joe M.
Jun 17, 2014

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to make that happen. I will post preliminary results shortly...

By Joe M.
Jun 19, 2014

Added the results so far to each page, leaders at each grade are:

V1: Zig Zag Crack, Rumney
V2: The Wave, Lincoln Woods and The Whip, Pway are tied
V3: Hobbit Hole, Pway
V4: Overlooked, Pway

Interesting observation is that the problems with the most votes are those at the most popular areas, seems obvious but maybe indicates people need to visit new areas and check out some of these other problems at lesser known areas. Hopefully this list will inspire some travelling to new spots for some great problems!

www.newenglandbouldering.com/best-boulder-problems

By M Sprague
From New England
Jun 19, 2014

"Most Popular" would be more accurate. A list of "Wonderful Little Know Problems in Each Grade" would do more to inspire travel IMO. I do like the great photos that people are posting up though.

By Joe M.
Jun 19, 2014

Still time for other voters to weigh in on their favorites. I agree on the photos, I want to get out and try some of these awesome problems...

By Joe M.
Jun 20, 2014

Some of these are getting tight:

V1: Zig Zag Crack is the only clear favorite with 43 votes (2nd has 11)
V2: The Whip has a 2 vote lead over The Wave, 21 to 19
V3: Hobbit Hole leads Pond Cave Traverse by 1 vote, 21 to 20
V4: Heart of Glass has passed Overlooked, 25 to 23

V5 to V8 will be added to the voting next week...

By matt c.
Jun 20, 2014

wait a second... how did mundane climbs like clune climb and A suize get on your list and then you leave off classics like 3 start at haycock or mojo at Hunters? is this a list for people that are scared to walk in the woods to get to climbing? it that case, got it right on!

I'm mostly kidding; sweet idea!

By WiseOldMoon
From West Hartford, Connecticut
Jun 20, 2014
Barn Door Crack

Three star is an amazing v3 but is not in New England.

By matt c.
Jun 20, 2014

WiseOldMoon wrote:
Three star is an amazing v3 but is not in New England.

also, 3 star is a v1 i think.

By WiseOldMoon
From West Hartford, Connecticut
Jun 20, 2014
Barn Door Crack

matt c. wrote:
there are other climbs from PA on the other lists and the list is the "best in the north east". So i think pa is in. also, 3 star is a v1 i think.

good call, it does say it pretty clearly in the title... Three star IS a V1 I just had a little dyslexic moment there. L'angle is pretty sweet too

By matt c.
Jun 20, 2014

WiseOldMoon wrote:
L'angle is pretty sweet too

yes, i second that!

By Joe M.
Jun 21, 2014

We did include PA, NJ, and NY in the mix for the best in the "Northeast"

I was kind of disappointed that we didn't get more nominations from PA. If you have any suggestions for V5 and up, I can still add problems to the voting for those which will start next week. Thanks guys!

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jun 22, 2014
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

Body Snap @ Haycock and Shamu @ Gretna are both outstanding V5s.

By Joe M.
Jun 23, 2014

Thanks Chris, I will add these to the list.

By Brandon S
From Weehawken, NJ
Jun 23, 2014

I don't think Little Fluffy Clouds (v5) from Haycock has been added yet. Definitely a great problem.

www.mountainproject.com/v/little-fluffy-clouds/107954422

By Joe M.
Jun 23, 2014

Keep them coming, I would like to add some more to 6, 7, and 8 if you guys have any. Thanks.

By matt c.
Jun 23, 2014

yes, i second little fluffy clouds as well. classic.
oh,monkey dick schull fuck (MDSF) in hunters.

By Joe M.
Jun 30, 2014

sorry guys, I missed getting those last few on the list...