|By Mount Rainier |
Feb 11, 2014
Volunteer Climbing Ranger – Mount Rainier National Park
Come experience YOUR National Parks! Mount Rainier is seeking volunteers for the 2014 Climbing Ranger Program. Volunteers will perform duties related to resource education and protection, visitor services, and hiker/climber safety.
- Participate in search and rescue operations throughout the park. These include searches, rescues, and body recoveries for lost, injured, and deceased persons. Volunteers will participate and train in areas of technical rope rescue, land search, helicopter operations, and avalanche rescue.
- Climbing volunteers participate in patrols of various routes on the mountain within the volunteer’s skill level.
- Volunteers may staff the high camps (Muir and Schurman).
- Assist in resource protection efforts (including human waste management at high camp facilities)
- Staff rangers stations and issue climbing and wilderness use permits, disseminate information related to the park, including climbing, weather, safety, and climbing route information.
What we provide:
- Housing in the park;
- Food Stipend ($20/day)
- Paid during rescues (amount depends on duties...typically $15-20/hr)
- All the equipment
- Training in technical SAR, EMS, ICS, etc
- Strong leadership, a great team, and a fun place to live, work, and play!
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Mountaineering experience (glacial and ice-climbing)
- Technical SAR experience
- EMT or WFR (current)
- Avalanche (AIRE 2 preferred)
- Intermediate to advanced skier or splitboarder
- A commitment from April 14 – Sept 1st
Interested folks should send a resume and a list of significant climbing/outdoor accomplishments to: Brian_Hasebe@nps.gov
| || view from the office... |