Visiting Mississippi/Alabama, looking for climbing

By Jeremy Totman
Mar 26, 2014
I'll be in Biloxi, MS for a couple months starting April 1st, 2014, and I'm curious if there is any climbing relatively close.

I did a search for a climbing gym and the only thing that comes up within an hour or so drive is the University of South Alabama rec center, but you need to be a student to get in....

Anyway, I'm looking for any info I can get my hands on for places indoor/outside that I can climb!

Bonus points if you're a student at the university and can sponsor me into the gym!

By Swamp Cookie
From da Bayou
Mar 27, 2014
Big Alligator.
Slidell Rocks might be the closest. About an hour drive. You can definitely get a good workout there. slidellrocks.com/

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Briar Patch
Mar 27, 2014
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en ...
You're in the hurt locker.
Other than gyms...
Tishimingo (Sp.) State Park, up the Natchez Trace, has some bouldering....
Otherwise, rock of quality will not be found closer than Birmingham.
There's some stuff near Auburn, but you'd be better advised to book it North.
Look at, in order of distance, Moss Rock Preserve, Steele, Palisades, Griffin Falls, Sandrock, Jamestown, and then Chattanooga areas for steep sandstone.
There's also Little River Canyon, near Fort Payne, if you like hard sport.
If you like granite, you'll need to buckle down and make the trip to Western NC....and you won't be disappointed.

By bernard
From birmingham, al
Mar 27, 2014
near trapps, Shawangunks, NY, 2008
4-5 hours minimum to rocks

By pataug16
From chattanooga, TN
Mar 28, 2014
final grab of the overhang
Cherokee rock village just above Birmingham is always fun.

By Jeremy Totman
Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll definitely be checking out slidell rocks gym, and the other outdoor places if I can find a partner.

By jonestyler22
From Eau Claire
Oct 14, 2014
Hey Man, I'm in the exact same boat as you - I just moved to Gulfport this summer and I can't resist the pull of the mountains any longer.

Did you check any of these areas out? I've been to Slidell Rocks a couple times and while the people are super friendly, I found the gym pretty stale. Particularly the bouldering area. Last time I was there, there was literally only 2 routes under V2-.

To the people on the thread that mentioned actual places to go (as opposed to "5 hours away"), thank you - it's hugely helpful.

Let's get a trip going man, the weather is beautiful this week. I've got rope, enough pro to build a TR anchor pretty much anywhere, and a GoPro.

By DavisMeschke
Oct 14, 2014
Topping out in Digital Delight
jonestyler22 wrote:

Well the funny thing about that is there not shit for climbing near Biloxi. I believe the point that was being made by a few is that the good climbing is many hours away, in Alabama or Tennessee.

By jonestyler22
From Eau Claire
Oct 14, 2014
Lol. Yeah, man. Welcome to the party.

By Z.St.Jules
From New Hampshire
Oct 14, 2014
Ice Cave
My wife and I will be in Tupelo, November 18th and 19th if anyone wants to go to Tishomingo.

By Mississippi James
From Brighton by way of dirty south
Oct 14, 2014
BOSS
Hope you've got some wheels because you'll need them! Decent rock about 5 hrs or more near Birmingham, AL.. I was born and raised in Mississippi so I know.. Good luck finding real partners their scarce as alligators are in Colorado.

By DavisMeschke
Oct 14, 2014
Topping out in Digital Delight
There's actually alligator wrestling near Caņon City sooooooo.. Haha

By jonestyler22
From Eau Claire
Oct 15, 2014
Z.St.Jules wrote:

\

Count me in, shoot me a message on here.

@DavisMeschke: Haze Yourself.

By DavisMeschke
Oct 15, 2014
Topping out in Digital Delight
Don't hate, brah

By Mississippi James
From Brighton by way of dirty south
Oct 15, 2014
BOSS
DavisMeschke wrote:
There's actually alligator wrestling near Caņon City sooooooo.. Haha

Sweet now I can feel like I'm back home! My life in Colorado is full again..