Home - Destinations - iPhone/Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Video: BD Carabiner Manufacturer Plant
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 2 of 2.  <<First   <Prev   1  2
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 30, 2013

bearbreeder wrote:
how does rock exotica who makes biners for petzl get their stuff stamped "made in USA" then ... how about DMM and their anodized biners that are marked "made in UK" ... or other such biners made in first world countries ... many companies do it just fine without going to china ... hmmmmmm .... ;)


there's a percentage of manufacture that needs to take place in the US for it get get the made in USA label- and i remember that its fairly low. several outdoor companies take advantage of this.

in terms of BD- the actual manufacture is done here, so that is what qualifies it. i'm stunned they send product to china and back for anodization. that just seems crazy to me.


FLAG
By bearbreeder
Oct 30, 2013

John Wilder wrote:
there's a percentage of manufacture that needs to take place in the US for it get get the made in USA label- and i remember that its fairly low. several outdoor companies take advantage of this. in terms of BD- the actual manufacture is done here, so that is what qualifies it. i'm stunned they send product to china and back for anodization. that just seems crazy to me.


if BD makes most of its biners here and only sends it to china for anodizing ... why dont they label it as "MADE IN USA" ...

as we can see here off the MEC site which shows the "origin" ... BD biners are "Made in China"

www.mec.ca/shop/climbing-carabiners-and-draws/50001+50262/?N>>>

one would think that they would proudly proclaimed made in USA if it was possible ... does anodizing it mean it must be labelled "made in china"?

hmmmm

;)


FLAG
By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Oct 30, 2013
Cleo's Needle

I thought BD sent some of its carabiner manufacturing to China? I thought I saw a video of the gridlock being forged at the china plant.


FLAG
By mattm
From TX
Oct 30, 2013
Grande Grotto

John Wilder wrote:
in terms of BD- the actual manufacture is done here, so that is what qualifies it. i'm stunned they send product to china and back for anodization. that just seems crazy to me.


I wonder if they do it in-house at their factory there?

In terms of shipping, I bet the costs are extremely low. Think how many 'biners can fit in one shipping container.


FLAG
By cdec
From SLC and Moab, ut
Oct 30, 2013

jnrose5 wrote:
Just like the video said, the carabiners (and other metal goods that need stamping) are mostly completed in SLC and then shipped abroad only to get their anodized coatings. They're then brought back to SLC to put on the gates and springs and other finishing touches. The host of the tour flat out said that they send their goods to China because they can't meet the environmental regulations in the US. He also said that BD is responding to customer demand - we want carabiners in organized colors that match our organized colored cams, and the days of having a merely silver cam, carabiner, ATC, ascender, etc. are long gone. BD isn't the problem. Uninformed and uncaring consumer demand is the problem


I walked the factory with a buddy of mine and here's what I remember.
Biners and any other pieces that must be machined to very high tolerances begin the process in SLC and are then sent to China where they finished. Anodizing, setting the gate pins, attaching springs and other non technical bits of final assembly all across the hard goods line are taken care of there. I was told it is cheaper to ship the pieces and have the non technical finishing touches done in China. So that is what they do. There was no mention of "not being able to meet environmental regulations" though maybe meeting them figures into the cost analysis.
I was also told that only about 40% of the hard goods that start the manufacturing process in SLC are returned to SLC. The other 60% is shipped directly from China to buyers around the world.


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 2.  <<First   <Prev   1  2