vehicle clearance for Jack's Canyon

By seth 'sk8rseth' howell
Feb 6, 2014

ive only been once, and i was wondering if a regular car can make it down that dirt road to the campground? i was riding passenger in an SUV the first time and i seem to remember it being pretty rough.
has anyone done it? is it doable without any badness?

By Mark Paulson
Feb 6, 2014

I got there in a minivan, and it was fine.

By Nick Dolhyj 1
From Flagstaff, AZ
Feb 6, 2014
pillow case, 5.9

totally doable as long as you're attentive (like with any dirt road). made it there in a dodge caliber once

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Feb 7, 2014
Trying to redpoint The Ugly 11c; steeper than it looks and the rock is scary in spots but good enough.

If the road is wet, you need 4x4 and clearance. Otherwise drive slowly on this rough road.

By ChadMartino
Mar 1, 2014

Took my girls 2005 Mazda 3 out there without her freaking out haha. Should be fine with any vehicle pending how slow you dive.

By Alex McIntyre
From Tucson, AZ
Mar 1, 2014

I've driven a Kia Spectra out there when the road wasn't wet and it was fine.

By K-Tanz
Mar 1, 2014
Leading up pitch 2 of Moby Dick, Cochise Stronghold, AZ

As long as its not muddy you can get anything out there. My girlfriend drove in with her lowered scion TC when it was even a bit wet.

By Greg DeMatteo
From W. Lebanon, NH
Mar 8, 2014

manuel rangel wrote:

I made it in through the mud in springtime in a Prius.

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Mar 9, 2014

Awesome. Love hearing how people tear up the dirt roads and don't think twice about it. I had an amigo, great guy, drive his 2wd truck into Lower Devils Canyon. He made it in and out. Way before the mining company fixed the road.

All this does is further degrade the road. Notice how it has been worsening over the years since it was first developed? People banging along the road, when it is wet, is not a good thing.

But great going Greg. At least you did it in a prius. lol

By Alex McIntyre
From Tucson, AZ
Mar 9, 2014

Maybe I'm uninformed, but I fail to see any connection between a 2WD doing more damage to a dirt road than a 4WD in the same conditions. I'm pretty sure people are not doing 60mph drifting on the dirt roads in the mud in 2WD. Driving ANY vehicle on a wet dirt road is probably not great for the road. Will this matter to people who just want to climb? I'd say probably not, given your own recommendation that people do it with 4WD and clearance, Manny.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Mar 9, 2014

The impact of an occasional brave Prius driver is negligible compared to the many AZ rednecks that purposely go 'muddin' in huge trucks with tires specifically for the purpose.

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Mar 9, 2014

Seems obvious to me why driving a 4wd with clearance v. a non 4wd car on a muddy road, is a better choice. You can minimize damage going slow. You can stay on track with a 4wd.

An automobile will damage any road it uses. It's all about using the right tool. Have you noticed the Jacks road deterioration over the last twenty years Alex? I think we should act as stewards and try to keep the land intact as much as possible. That's my message.