URGENT: Don't Let Muir Valley Close!
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Feb 17, 2012
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

Red River Gorge's Muir Valley is in financial trouble again. Without financial support from the climber community, the Webers could be forced to close this great area to climbing. For more details, see this article on Climbing Magazine's website.

As a Mountain Project admin, I want to make a personal appeal to all MP users to step up to the plate on this. Back in October of 2010, I posted this similar alert regarding the financial plight of Muir Valley. The situation hasn't changed since then -- if anything, it's gotten worse, as the number of climbers flocking to the RRG in general and Muir Valley in particular has steadily climbed. We've already lost one RRG area recently (Roadside Crag), and we just can't afford to lose Muir Valley.

All the details are outlined in the links above, but I want to list some of the most important points here:

• Muir Valley is a privately-owned climbing preserve. All costs for maintaining the land and its facilities come out of Rick and Liz Weber's pockets, with help from climber donations.
  • Donations to the Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition (RRGCC) do NOT benefit Muir Valley. RRGCC does not fund the Muir Valley preserve.
  • It doesn't take much to make a big difference. If every climber that visits Muir Valley contributed just a dollar, that would generate a whopping $30,000 a year to keep the area open.

Whether you're an RRG local who climbs there all the time; or a visiting climber who makes one or two trips a year; or someone who has never been to RRG and never will; PLEASE -- make it a point to contribute to this worthy cause!

Here's a link to Friends of Muir Valley:
www.friendsofmuirvalley.org/?page=6

JL

By Mike Morin
From On the Road
Feb 17, 2012
Lincoln Lake

It is pointed out in the Climbing article, but I feel it warrants reinforcing that you can contribute directly to the Weber's through the Muir Valley website. Liz made a point of passing this along when I made my annual contribution this past year. I don't know this for sure, but it seems your money will go further by cutting out the middle man and donating directly to Muir Valley. If you have ever climbed at Muir you know what an amazing place it is, and if you have ever climbed at Muir and never made a contribution perhaps now is the time to say thank you by giving them a hand. Sax mentions that just one dollar can make a difference, but come on folks pony up $10 or $20 at a minimum and help keep this treasure open for all to enjoy.

By jordan cocanower
From Estes Park, CO
Feb 17, 2012
A nice little alpine day

O man if muir closes PMRP is guna be a madhouse

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Feb 17, 2012

Muir Valley is a wonderful place! Think about throwing a few bucks their way if you've climbed there.

It'd be nice if people donated a little every time they climbed there, so we wouldn't get all these imminent closure/catastrophe pleas periodically.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Feb 17, 2012

I'm curious, since Muir Valley was after my time at the Red - how are the funds used - is there any published breakdown?
I don't climb there (never have) but would consider making a donation. I'm just lucky enough that there is so much climbing near me, and that back when I was at the Red, there were not really "crowds" that needed to be spread out like they do now.

By wankel7
From Indiana
Feb 18, 2012

They would rather close down access than charge for admission?

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Feb 18, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

Ryan, there has not been any sort of published, organized breakdown of the Webers' expenses yet. A lot of folks over on redriverclimbing.com believe that they are entitled to something like this if they donate to FOMV, and a few others are even saying that the Webers are putting too much money into superfluous improvements (road grading, signs marking crags, etc.).

Wankel, the reason that they don't charge admission fees is because, under KY law, that would expose them to a lot of liabilities.

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Feb 18, 2012
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

wankel7 wrote:
They would rather close down access than charge for admission?

Charging admission is not as simple as it sounds. If the Webers went this direction, they would open themselves up to legal liabilities that they don't have now. Those liabilities would lead in turn to higher administrative overhead. Bottom line, charging admission would likely make their financial situation worse, not better.

JL

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 18, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

At least twice a year I donate online, plus the usual cash deposit on each visiting week down there. Well worth it, especially with the new improved parking lot. Not everyone can access the PMRP with their vehicles so Muir is the perfect alternative AND safe from the break-ins that plagued the last season in the Red.

By JulianB
From Florence, SC
Feb 19, 2012
Mt. Rainier summit.

There's absolutely no reason for every person who visits not to put at least $5 each in the donation box at the end of a day there. Think about how many of hours of entertainment are coming out of that $5 and it's an absolute steal.

By S. Neoh
Feb 19, 2012

Donated last night online and got a very mice response from Liz today. Great place to visit and climb at, so please be considerate and give.
As someone had already mentioned, PMRP (The Gallery as I experienced it)) and Military/LF were quite busy last Fall with Roadside closed, while Muir was relatively 'open', even on a nice weekend. And less of a chore to get to, compared to most of PMRP.

By Carl Sherven
Feb 22, 2012

By Brent Butcher
Feb 22, 2012
route photo

My g/f and I donated when we climbed there, I hope everyone does the same.

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 22, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Skiing downhill is my winter sport, and a day of enjoying the mountains now runs about 50 bucks for a 7 hour day of slopes. I think climbing in beautiful Muir Valley is worth at least a tenth or more of a ski ticket. We camp and eat cheap all week in the Red, so why not be sure to spend your available bucks where they count? Any 'vacation' setting you choose that costs you less than 50 bucks per day to feed, sleep and enjoy yourself is a cheap bargain. Think how much cash you drop for just one cam.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Feb 22, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Carl Sherven wrote:
Torrent closed, then Roadside closed. Think about the impact each of those had on the other area crags. Muir Valley isn't just a crag; it's an entire region of the RRG. It's sad that it has to keep coming to this. I don't remember where I read this, but I think they said they spent $92k out of pocket in 2010. If someone can verify or correct that it would be appreciated. If everyone put $5 every day they visit (per person) that would at least take care of the financial burden on the Webers. That's not much to pay for a day of awesome climbing. The climbing community needs to grow up and start pulling its weight if we intend to maintain access to such awesome places as Muir Valley. Thank you, Rick and Liz, for all you do.

THIS.

If Muir classes everything else will be insane. Muir has a lot of 'beginner friendly' climbs too.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 22, 2012

Posting mainly to bump and keep this on the FP,

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 23, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Bumpa-roo. FYI, Rick Weber has successfully completed his first round of chemo and will be returning soon to Muir for some well deserved rest. Show your appreciation to the Webers with a few bucks in the bucket and help clean up anything you can to keep Muir nice and sweet this spring. Make their work load as little as it has to be.

By Carl Sherven
Feb 25, 2012

Bump.

rock_fencer wrote:
....but it would serve the community as yet another reminder and lesson if it closed. Too many people take access for granted and are not stewards of our resources. This is like the child that doesnt take care of its toy and then asks for another one when it breaks.

That would be one hell of a reminder. I don't want that to happen, but maybe a loss on that scale is what the climbing community needs to wake up.

By rogerbenton
Mar 28, 2012
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible.

bump...

looking forward to a trip down there this fall- we will be glad to make a donation.

By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 28, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Bumparoo...it's spring break and all of us on break need to factor in another 20 bucks per head on the expenses when you get down here. I just arrived and will be there within the hour today.....a wonderful spring day it is at Muir!!

By Parker Wrozek
Mar 30, 2012

I used to climb here when I lived in Michigan. The wife and I would drop a $20 in each day. When you figure it was $30 a day to climb at Planet Rock (and usually just for 2-3 hours) it is a steal.

This place has some of the best climbs, nice trails to get there, good parking, bathrooms, etc. I have seen 100s of people show up and leave without ever dropping a dime in the box (even though it is literally right in front of your face as you head down the trail).

I am too far away to be climbing at Muir anymore but I will still support them for my friends that get to climb there.

By Eamon Doyle
From Sierra Madre, CA
Apr 3, 2012
Headshot

Having climbed here and also having met Liz Weber, I must say I'd jump at the chance to help keep this place open. Nice people, incredibly generous accommodations, and just an amazing effort to make a climbing area accessible. I hope everyone gets a chance to experience this place, but we all have to kick in sometimes to make this happen.

-Eamon

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Aug 1, 2012
Summit of Rainier.

Donating today. Thanks for raising awareness on this issue.

By Woodchuck ATC
Aug 1, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Hit up the paypal at Friends of Muir Valley just yesterday...and I haven't even been down there to climb for over 4 months!!..but know it's the right thing to do. Just to help recover the costs of that new climber shelter in the parking lot is reason enough.

By Zach Kling
From Indianapolis, Indiana
Nov 16, 2012
Winter bouldering gets cold.

Moves for Muir
Moves for Muir

Hoosier Heights Indianapolis is doing their part. If you're in the Ohio Valley Region, you should check this out.

Pre-Registration for the Saturday comp has been extended through this Sunday (the 18th).

By tw160504
From fort collins, co
Dec 5, 2012

Maybe they should stop building bridges everywhere and hanging perma draws. That would save a bundle.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>